Artec T1 USB Digital TV adaptor questions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
Forum Member
These are quite cheap at the moment (£49.95) in Dixons so I'm trying to get one to work- its not without its problems- the destructions are less than comprehensive and the web site for Artec seems to be SNAFU - I suspect the drivers want updating- anyone got any experience of this unit. When it works the picture quality is fantastic but if you try to go to a channel that isn't broadcasting the whole thing hangs and you have to do a soft reboot of the computer to recover.

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck. It took Hauppauge 18 months to get theirs 'more reliable' YEs try the website. It must help.

You also have to double check setting on the Videocard. Overlay probably needs to be on etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Well- I'm amazed, now that I've got the driver update to work this turns out to be a really good bit of kit. (It came from PC World, not Dixons by the way but I haven't quite mastered the edit bit of this forum yet.) Anyway, I've now got a USB based digital TV adaptor with working EPG, DVD recorder and (perhaps) even Picture in Picture! Fantastic and all for under £50. It definitely needs the driver upgrade though and the instructions on the website are in Japlish so some patience is needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Does the software with this have any provision for digital text services (e.g. BBCi or Teletext) ?

Also, does it allow for timed/scheduled recordings?

How reliable is it, e.g. if you set up a load of recordings, will the software/unit die half-way through (Hauppauge-styleee! :)) or does everything work as promised?

Cheers,

- Ali
    Forum Member
    InTheSand wrote:
    Hi,

Does the software with this have any provision for digital text services (e.g. BBCi or Teletext) ?

Also, does it allow for timed/scheduled recordings?

How reliable is it, e.g. if you set up a load of recordings, will the software/unit die half-way through (Hauppauge-styleee! :)) or does everything work as promised?

Cheers,

- Ali
    No it doesn't have text capabilities but it does have timed/scheduled recordings plus a timeshifting option although I haven't had a chance to test them yet. The recording scheduling looks really promising as it works directly from the EPG which, incidentally features a small screen playing the currently highlighted channel. So far the only problems I have had are to do with installing the software upgrade (took me four attempts) and getting the radio stations to play- I think this may have something to do with my somewhat antiquated sound card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just bought one of these and the installation went very well, though doing to software upgrade from 2.09 to 2.10 took a number of attempts and I can only see that "now and next" has been added to the previous "now" in the EPG.

Although recordings don't have any problem when played back, the sound and picture on live broadcasts drift further and further out of sync, with the sound being several seconds ahead of the picture after a few minutes. As I bought it as an experimental PVR this isn't such a problem, but if you wanted to watch live tv I think it would be unacceptable.

Very neat unit though and nice but tiny remote control. Picture in Picture doesn't appear to work, stating that this is only on the USB 2 version when you click on the option, which is what I thought it was, but apparently isn't!

I wish it was possible to rearrange the EPG, as the channels are simply grouped by MUX, including all the encrypted ones (which are not accessible) and has anyone managed to get timed recordings from the EPG to work, as when I select a program and "Set Record" it actually selects a completely different program in the scheduled recordings log?!
    Forum Member
    Yup- everything Fudge says is right- this is definitely a work-in-progress project, however the picture quality is so stunning and the prospect of watching digital TV in France on my laptop so appealing that I think its worth persevering. Anyway I'm going to start an email dialogue with Artec so I'll post any replies I get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used the contact form on the European Artec site to ask about the lipsync problem, but no response yet. I'll post it as soon (if?) I get one. It is a fairly new product, so hopefully the development team are still hard at work improving it, as the picture quality is very good and when it works it's quite impressive.

Now I'm trying to transcode a DVB-T transport stream to a DVD compatible program stream and it's a really strange experience. Sometimes the 'ultrans' program built into the Digital TV application seems to produce the right result, but most often it is generating the lipsync problem (which isn't there in the original DVB-T file when viewed back through the Digital TV application), so I'm getting a bit puzzled as to what is going on.

Can anyone recommend another utulity to transcode DVB-T transport streams to program streams, suitable for eventual transfer to DVD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea why, but the lipsync problem on live broadcasts has stopped happening! I haven't changed any settings in the program itself, so I just hope it lasts.
  • adambowieadambowie Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Fudge, whereabouts can I find the 2.10 driver? I can only see 2.09 on the Artec website.

Adam
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded it from their Taiwan Website http://www.artec.com.tw under Download Center/Drivers Download, but the site as a whole doesn't seem to work properly under either Firefox or Internet Explorer, so I can't get the drivers page to load up anymore.

Getting it to install was a pain in the neck too, as it doesn't find the correct directory itself, so I installed three times and three reboots before it updated and I'm still not sure which actual installation path did the trick. I can only see that it added the Next programme info box, to the EPG Now & Next screen, so you may consider it not worth the bother until it appears on the Artec Euro website.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I've got one of these units as well.

I've not used it much yet but it looks very promising.

How is everyone finding the aerial supplied with it?

Also I've installed v 2.10 of the software and every time I try a radio station I just get a message box with the useful message "Error!!".

Does anyone know if this is a "feature" of 2.10 or if I'm just lucky.

I've emailed Artec about this as well so if I get an official reply I'll post it here.

Paul
    Forum Member
    PaulPerry wrote:
    I've got one of these units as well.

I've not used it much yet but it looks very promising.

Also I've installed v 2.10 of the software and every time I try a radio station I just get a message box with the useful message "Error!!".

I've emailed Artec about this as well so if I get an official reply I'll post it here.

Paul
    Yes the un-radio does seem to be a feature at the mo as is the failure of the record function to work correctly when accessed through the EPG. I'm still waiting for a reply to my email- think I should have sent it in Taiwanese. Ah what it is to be at the cutting edge of technological development. Still think the picture quality is excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulPerry wrote:

Paul

I'm lucky, in that being only 8 miles from Sutton Coldfield that bit of bent wire still gives me a decent signal strength if I move it away from the metal of my PC case. That being said, it does need adjustment when moving between the ITV mux and the BBC main mux, so I've swapped my flat panel indoor aerial over from my echostar STB and put the 'bent wire' into that and both receivers are now happy, with the echostar getting betwen 7 & 8 in signal strength across all muxes and the Artec having a full 'SNR'. bar and about 80% 'RF power'.

I got the radio error when I first installed 2.10, but then after deinstalling the whole thing and reinstalling 2.09 and then once again 2.10, I no longer have any problems receiving radio. I can't get radio recording to work though.

I really wish the system permitted channels to be reordered/deleted, as since the numbering system doesn't match the ones on a normal STB I find I'm having to hunt for the ones I watch/listen to each time I switch.

Have you found that the add-on which converts DVB mpeg to 'program stream' mpeg has problems with keeping the sound and picture in sync? I've tried several hour length recordings and invariably the two go out of synch at some point in the recording after processing, where they were fine before conversion. I have tried another utility to process the files (Moonlight Xmuxer Pro) which has the same problems, so not sure how to solve it.
    Forum Member
    Yes I'm very impressed with the picture quality, the aerial they supplied doesn't pick up much inside though.
    Mind you for it's size it's amasing.
    I suppose that could have something to do with the thick walls we have here.
    I've been wondering if I should try version 2.09 and see if the radio works on that.
    Forum Member
    Fudge wrote:
    Have you found that the add-on which converts DVB mpeg to 'program stream' mpeg has problems with keeping the sound and picture in sync? I've tried several hour length recordings and invariably the two go out of synch at some point in the recording after processing, where they were fine before conversion. I have tried another utility to process the files (Moonlight Xmuxer Pro) which has the same problems, so not sure how to solve it.

I've not tried the recording yet but I do have a Hauppauge DEC2000 as well and I get some odd things happening to those recordings sometimes.
    I have been using a utility called VideoRedo which seems to get over most of the problems. I've heard that PVAInstrumento is quite good too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulPerry wrote:
    I've not tried the recording yet but I do have a Hauppauge DEC2000 as well and I get some odd things happening to those recordings sometimes.
    I have been using a utility called VideoRedo which seems to get over most of the problems. I've heard that PVAInstrumento is quite good too.

I've tried PVAInstrumento, but it kept crashing when asked to deal with the output from the Artec. I think the sync problems happen after any glitches in reception, such as momentary picture/sound freezes, as this seems to be enough to throw out the processing whichever program is used to do it.

Anyhow, it's fine to watch the occasional programme in the corner of the screen and hopefully the software updates will keep on coming and it will improve over time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found a link to 2.10, from the FAQ on the Artec/Ultima Taiwan website if anyone needs it:

http://info.ultima.com.tw/fae/driver/Digital_TV/2.10/UpdataEng.exe

The file is dated 21/2/2005.

D@mn, for some reason it won't work when copied here, but it does work when clicked on at the Ultima website!? :o

Double d@mn, now it is broken altogether. I hope their hardware is more resilient than their website :(
  • synnersynner Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Hello all,

I've jst bought the T1, and it is a great bit of kit, but I noticed some of you talking about an EPG and now/next.

I've downloaded software vsn 2.10 but have neither of these options.......

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Brian
  • synnersynner Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Hello again all !

Sorry, sorted the problem out, uninstalled Digital TV app and re-installed from 2.0.9 then upgraded to 2.0.10, all well and much better then the crappy 1.0.8 bundled with my box !

Regards

Brian
    Forum Member
    I've managed to get the v2.10 installed - but only by running the 'Updateeng.exe' and selecting c:\digitalTV\digitalTV, then running the 'setup.exe', then selecting the 'remove' option, then running the 'setup.exe' again to install v2.10. No matter what method of de-install/re-install I try I cannot get rid of the RADIO ERROR !! problem. The TV channels work fine. Could somebody please state the exact steps required to install this version correctly. Many thanks. ...looking forward to version 2.11 !! :confused:
  • AESMITHAESMITH Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I've just got one, as well, after testing at home with a borrowed one.

The supplied aerial doesn't work at all at home, but then Wolfbane says I need "amplified extra gain". The unit works fine with a crappy set-top aerial though so it clearly needs much less signal than a normal reciever.

Two questions:
    (1) Can anyone spell out the exact correct software install sequence for the 2.10 update?

(2) Has anyone managed to get recording from the EPG to work? When I specify recording from the EPG, a totally different program goes into the record schedule.

Thanks, Tony S
    Forum Member
    Update. I've reported the recording fault to PC World, but their response is that I need to call their £0.75 per minute "installation assistance" line. No thanks!! Twenty minutes at seventy-five pence is fifteen quid, with no guarantee of a fix at the end. I've also reported the fault to the manufacturer, but if I don't here something back from either then I'll be returning the product for a refund.

I hoped that someone here would have some suggestions.

Tony S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly couldn't say how I installed 2.10 in the end, as I too went through so many deinstall/reinstall loops that when it finally updated I just cheered and then couldn't remember exactly what I'd done that time. It is very silly that the update program doesn't find the correct original install path on it's own, as this must be fairly simple to do considering how many other programs manage it.

The radio bug disappeared during one of the above install loops, so again I don't know when it went away, it just did, as did the lipsync problem I had for the first few days. That just stopped happening when I rebooted my PC one evening and hasn't reappeared.

The EPG recording feature doesn't work at all for me, unless I happen to like recording random programs rather than the one I actually chose.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a reply from Artec, as I never received one, but they do seem to provide updates on an ongoing basis so I'm keeping mine just to see what happens in future.
    Forum Member
    That seems fair enough, Fudge. I've actually had a loan of one before buying my own, so I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't notice the defect before. I'm almost convinced that the borrowed one DID record correctly from the EPG, but it doesn't now.

I'll probably end up rejecting and returning mine, but if there's a software update at a later date I can maybe get a colleague to test it out before I commit again.

I know it's a cheap piece of kit - but its offensive that it so blatantly doesn't work, and I don't see why the suppliers should get away with it.

Tony S
    Forum Member
    I agree that this bit of kit is frustratingly close to being great. Maybe Artec would respond if they spoke English. I agree that it is wrong that the suppliers/retailers should be able to get away with this sort of thing. Can you imagine the cynicism at PC World where this product is still on sale with the old software despite the fact that they must know by now that it doesn't work- unless of course they just purchase stock without testing it.