Options

Neighbour's smoke alarm beeping

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
Forum Member
We live in a block of flats and the smoke alarm in the flat right next to us has been beeping constantly for at least 3 months (the "change my battery" beep every 37 seconds, yes I've counted!)

I've tried knocking on their door but they never answer, even when I know they are in as I can hear their many kids stampeding around inside.

Also tried putting a polite note through their door, no result there either.

It's annoying as I can hear it in my bedroom when I'm trying to sleep. I don't know how they put up with it themselves.

We live very near to a fire station. Would it be worth speaking to one of the guys in there? It's a safety issue after all.

Suggestions anyone?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried talking to the landlord about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's privately owned or rented. Apparently about half of the 14 flats are privately owned. How would I find out when they flatly refuse to answer their door?

Edit: if you mean our landlord, we don't have one as we own it.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RonnieL wrote: »
    I don't know if it's privately owned or leased. Apparently about half of the 14 flats are privately owned. How would I find out when they flatly refuse to answer their door?

they probably do answer, but they look thru the spy hole first and when they see it's you they think "oh no it's that bloody guy again who keeps knocking the door, we'll just ignore it".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    They must come in and out the place sometime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    they probably do the answer, but they look thru the spy hole first and when they see it's you they think "oh no it's that bloody guy again who keeps knocking the door, we'll just ignore it".

I don't think knocking someone's door 3 times in 3 months is excessive so bugger off if you're just going to make blatantly unhelpful comments. Off to Chatter with the rest of the kids you go.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's privately owned or rented. Apparently about half of the 14 flats are privately owned. How would I find out when they flatly refuse to answer their door?

Edit: if you mean our landlord, we don't have one as we own it.

With it being flats, do you own a leasehold, and therefore have a master landlord?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think knocking someone's door 3 times in 3 months is excessive so bugger off if you're just going to make blatantly unhelpful comments. Off to Chatter with the rest of the kids you go.

well 3 times in 3 months hardly means they never answer the door!

there's nothing YOU can do about the alarm.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Send your local environmental health team around to see them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Send your local environmental health team around to see them.

not sure what that would achieve.
    providing the alarm still works (and it's just beeping due to a low battery), then what could they do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not sure what that would achieve.
    providing the alarm still works (and it's just beeping due to a low battery), then what could they do?

Check to see if it is safe and not a nuisance. Noise is a nuisance crime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check to see if it is safe and not a nuisance. Noise is a nuisance crime.

walls must be really thin of you can hear someone else's smoke alarm do a low battery beep.

i doubt very much that could every be classed as nuisance crime!
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Buy them a battery for it and post it through their letterbox! Probably be well worth it for the chance of peace.

All the smoke alarms I've ever come across use a PP3 (unless it's one of those mains powered one's, in which case you can't change the battery, anyway)
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you absolutely certain that it's in their house? Is there any chance it could be inside a wall, or inside some kind of central storage area (many blocks of flats have utilities access cupboards or cleaners' stores and so on located on landings...) ?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call out the fire bridge since you can hear the alarm going off and job done?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have to come out some time OP. Hopefully you will catch them and tell them to change their bloody battery.
  • Options
    EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminded me of this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-19921055

Try ringing someone at the council for advice. They might be able to suggest something or send someone out to deal with it. The suggestion with the battery sounds good, but it could be that they are being a PITA on purpose and still choose not to change it! :( Or maybe they're all deaf? :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have my sympathy, OP - I had exactly this issue with a neighbouring flat a while ago and the noise nearly drove me mad. Although the flat was empty and awaiting new tennants, I had some success by contacting the management company, who contacted the lease holder on my behalf. Hope you get it sorted soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Call out the fire bridge since you can hear the alarm going off and job done?

the alarm isn't going off though, and wasting the fire brigades time is not clever.

they might send out a community liaison officer, but if they don't answer the door (as they OP says) then what does that achieve, and again if the alarm is actually working and it's just a low battery beep all they could do was suggest they replace the battery soon.

i've been thru this with the fire brigade before (but with regards to items in comunal spaces and internal fire doors not shutting properly) and they said that because the building was private and not a council owned building they can't actually force anything to be done but just advise.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rang our local environmental health department for advice when our neighbour played his video game in his living room all night (from when he got in from work at around 7PM to around 3AM) every night for weeks. His room was right next door to our bedroom. It wasn't loud enough to meet the department's noise limit, which would otherwise violate the nuisance law.

They basically advised us that we should sort out the sound insulation in our home to filter out the normal everyday noises. They pointed out we'll be disturbed by other noises of the same degree, so the issue was with our walls, not the neighbour. We chose to switch rooms instead. Not a satisfying solution, but it's better than living with the damn soundtrack, gun firing and neighbour's mutterings every night (and the realisation that he may be hearing what we didn't want him to hear). :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I rang our local environmental health department for advice when our neighbour played his video game in his living room all night (from when he got in from work at around 7PM to around 3AM) every night for weeks. His room was right next door to our bedroom. It wasn't loud enough to meet the department's noise limit, which would otherwise violate the nuisance law.

They basically advised us that we should sort out the sound insulation in our home to filter out the normal everyday noises. They pointed out we'll be disturbed by other noises of the same degree, so the issue was with our walls, not the neighbour. We chose to switch rooms instead. Not a satisfying solution, but it's better than living with the damn soundtrack, gun firing and neighbour's mutterings every night (and the realisation that he may be hearing what we didn't want him to hear). :D

exactly, not all noise is nuisance noise.
    unfortunately, modern building appear to have very thin walls these days, thus normal noise travels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    exactly, not all noise is nuisance noise.
    unfortunately, modern building appear to have very thin walls these days, thus normal noise travels.

So do old terraced buildings. I once overheard "you are a ******* head case and I don't care if the neighbours hear!" shouted out by some chav in the rented house next door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victorian houses converted into flats seem particularly bad.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they aren't answering the door and you can hear children inside, is it possible the children have been left alone with the instruction not to answer the door? Are you knocking on the door, or ringing a bell that may not work? Is it even possible that the children you hear are actually in another flat entirely?

I'd keep trying if I were you, but I do wonder if the sound is even coming from where you think it is as sounds can be very difficult to pin down directionally, especially in complex spaces like flats. If there are any empty flats in the block, that is where I would look first, because if the sound is a nuisance to you, can you imagine how it must be for someone living right with it?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Victorian houses converted into flats seem particularly bad.

They really are. We lived in one a few years ago and we could literally hear every word our upstairs neighbours said when we were in the living room. I think the sound travelled down the chimney, because it was only in that one room. It was rather awkward to feel that you were constantly inadvertently eavesdropping on someone.