Options

BBC Wild Arabia - Narrated by Alexander Siddig

2»

Comments

• Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I loved that dugong sequence. They're so mysterious. And the beautiful falconry sequence too.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I loved that dugong sequence. They're so mysterious. And the beautiful falconry sequence too.

Wanted to see more of the Hen Harriers at work, could have watched that for ages.
    Don't know what to say, very pretty and quite informative, those huge circular fields of green.
    Reminds me of the shots of the Spanish greenhouses in another BBC doc.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved it
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Grab-a-Dugong...week.;)
    loved it
    Me too.

Dubai looked amazing at Night.:cool:

But the robot whipping Camel Racing, looked insane.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Loved it. Superb photography, respect for the wildlife, humour, a quiet narrator, appropriate music and no intrusive presenter waving his/her arms at the camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Grab-a-Dugong...week.;)

It was so passive and gentle.

I'd never seen the robot camel racing before, nor using the model airplanes to fly the bait around for the birds!! Amazing.

And Masdar is so futuristic.

Arabia is full of contrast. My friend grew up in Oman from around age 11 to 20 ish and loved it and her desert adventures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was so passive and gentle.

IIRC it was the Dugong that was trying to throw off the attempted hitch hikers, wasn't it?

Oh dear found the BBC nature site's video collections, looking for Hen Harriers, that's an hour sorted...
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen the camel races with robot jockeys before. My son thinks it was probably on QI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IIRC it was the Dugong that was trying to throw off the attempted hitch hikers, wasn't it?

Oh dear found the BBC nature site's video collections, looking for Hen Harriers, that's an hour sorted...

Oh I thought the dugong looked unperturbed. I'm always on the lookout for the animal reactions in those sort of situations but either way it's a step forward in their protection :)

That's a fab site but sadly I can't watch iplayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I thought the dugong looked unperturbed. I'm always on the lookout for the animal reactions in those sort of situations but either way it's a step forward in their protection :)

That's a fab site but sadly I can't watch iplayer.

I meant earlier in the program when the Remora's were trying to hitch a ride on the Dugong and it was rolling them in the seabed to get them off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh right! I was amused and surprised at that. I would have thought the fish were so light that the dugong wouldn't even have noticed them but he certainly didn't want the hitchhikers. Maybe they're an irritant on the skin as flies are on us. So interesting.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dugongs are sweet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dugongs are sweet.

:) They're ugly, gentle giants and easy to love when you learn about them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Grab-a-Dugong...week.;)

Me too.

Dubai looked amazing at Night.:cool:

I would have thought the excitement/fascination of any race that comprised of animal and rider is the relationship between horse or camel with man/woman.
    To have 4X4 charging along side camels whipped on by remote controlled whips is erm...pointless:confused:
    Now the falcon and remote controlled areoplane,I get!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    I would have thought the excitement/fascination of any race that comprised of animal and rider is the relationship between horse or camel with man/woman.
    To have 4X4 charging along side camels whipped on by remote controlled whips is erm...pointless:confused:
    Now the falcon and remote controlled areoplane,I get!

As pointless as Greyhound racing then, it's about the fastest Dog, in this case Camel.
    Like Horse racing who owns it, trained it, bred it.
    The Camels respond to their owners via the radio, they probably feel closer to their animals than if they employed someone else to ride for them.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good show. Love anything and everything from bbc natural history. Didn't feel I missed Attenboroughs touch at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As pointless as Greyhound racing then, it's about the fastest Dog, in this case Camel.
    Like Horse racing who owns it, trained it, bred it.
    The Camels respond to their owners via the radio, they probably feel closer to their animals than if they employed someone else to ride for them.

I did love the closing shot of the camel kissing it's owner!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Very good show. Love anything and everything from bbc natural history. Didn't feel I missed Attenboroughs touch at all.

Nature's Microworlds has been very good too, I'll catch up on the Scottish episode in a bit.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Who....;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) I love these occasional 3 parters the BBC natural history does from time to time.
    Some of other ones worth catching are

Madagascar
    Ganges
    Galapagos
    And I'm sure there was a series on China as well although that might have been 30 minute episodes.

Most of these can be found on repeat play on sky channel 532 Eden.

Back to Attenborough. I think he has narrated just about any wildlife subject except a series on Australian, South American and North American wildlife ;) those should be next on his list before he croaks it :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh. Double post