Seasonal affective disorder

2»

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I thought that too but it seems summer SAD does exist!

http://www.yourmindyourbody.org/seasonal-affective-disorder-in-the-summer/

I thought there was only the lack of sunshine SAD.

I am not a fan of the hot weather and cannot wait for the cold weather.

I looked at the link of what to do to help yourself .....

Limit your exposure to heat. Stay indoors in air conditioning on extremely hot days.
    Keep up a regular exercise schedule (stay indoors on hot days).
    Get enough sleep. Try to get at least 7-8 hrs a day. This will definitely make you feel better.
    Plan your vacation to a cooler climate, if possible.
    Finally, recognize that you are not alone in feeling sad and uncomfortable. This time of year is particularly hard on single, divorced or widowed people, especially those who have lost loved ones in the summer months.

Are they taking the p**s :mad: Your boiling hot and sweating .. so exercise indoors :confused:

Sleep for 7-8 hours :confused: When you are sweating like a pig :rolleyes:

Stay in your air conditioned home ... HA!! :rolleyes:

The only sensible one is the holiday .. which I cannot afford :(
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about summer SAD is that you could shut out the light

In winter, it's justnot there and you cannot create it

Wouldn't the opposite make more sense? Those who hate winter can wrap up. There is no escaping the heat in summer! How do you manage to shut out the light at work?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I never used to like hot weather because I'd sweat profusely. couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes or my clothes would be sodden.

Turns out I had hyperhidrosis, nasty stuff, so I can understand why people don't like the Summer.

I'm fine now, but I still sweat more than normal when I exercise excessively.

And before someone picks up on that, I mean more than normal

I sound like you. When I do anything in the heat it's like I am standing under a shower. My meds make the problem worse :cry:
  • ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same, I've never liked the hot, sunny weather. I like it when it rains or snows or when it's overcast.
  • ZiQiZiQi Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Toriamath wrote: »
    I'm the same, I've never liked the hot, sunny weather. I like it when it rains or snows or when it's overcast.

I hate rain, snow or cloudy days, really depresses me. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toriamath wrote: »

I like to remind myself that in a few weeks the days will start getting shorter again. We have rain forecast for tomorrow, hopefully it lasts a few days!
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe I have SAD during the winter months. In the summer I'm up like a lark early in the light mornings, but during the winter I really struggle to even open my eyes never mind get up. I will also feel like I never really wake up properly in the winter and feel generally low. I'm fair skinned and burn easily so shouldn't really prefer hot sunny days, but I always feel happier at this time of year. I can understand how some people become addicted to sunbeds because they give you a rush of U.V light, though I never use them.

I love the light evenings. Sitting out in the garden with a drink until late. You can't beat it.
    Forum Member
    I like to remind myself that in a few weeks the days will start getting shorter again. We have rain forecast for tomorrow, hopefully it lasts a few days!

No No No, please don't remind me of that!! You trying to bump me off?? :eek:
    Forum Member
    I believe I have SAD during the winter months. In the summer I'm up like a lark early in the light mornings, but during the winter I really struggle to even open my eyes never mind get up. I will also feel like I never really wake up properly in the winter and feel generally low. I'm fair skinned and burn easily so shouldn't really prefer hot sunny days, but I always feel happier at this time of year. I can understand how some people become addicted to sunbeds because they give you a rush of U.V light, though I never use them.

I love the light evenings. Sitting out in the garden with a drink until late. You can't beat it.

Too right! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZiQi wrote: »
    No No No, please don't remind me of that!! You trying to bump me off?? :eek:

I know what you mean - it feels like summer has barely started due to the lovely cool May. Who knows what hot horrors may lie ahead though...
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the opposite make more sense? Those who hate winter can wrap up. There is no escaping the heat in summer! How do you manage to shut out the light at work?

Or in the car. Where you can manage to do a sixty mile trip and the sun is constantly able to find a gap in your sun visor the whole way there and then back again.

I'm working from home at the moment and the back bedroom/office gets an uninterrupted battering of sun from about 1pm to 9:30pm. At these temperatures I can get away with just shutting the blinds and curtains all day, any hotter and the fan will have to come out, any hotter than that at the blackout blind will be going up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or in the car. Where you can manage to do a sixty mile trip and the sun is constantly able to find a gap in your sun visor the whole way there and then back again.

I'm working from home at the moment and the back bedroom/office gets an uninterrupted battering of sun from about 1pm to 9:30pm. At these temperatures I can get away with just shutting the blinds and curtains all day, any hotter and the fan will have to come out, any hotter than that at the blackout blind will be going up.

Yep i need one of those blinds for my bedroom as the blasted sun fills the whole room from about four am. If it wasnt so pricey i would have my whole house kitted out with air conditioning and have the temperature kept at a lovely 7c or so all summer. Now that would be nice.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep i need one of those blinds for my bedroom as the blasted sun fills the whole room from about four am. If it wasnt so pricey i would have my whole house kitted out with air conditioning and have the temperature kept at a lovely 7c or so all summer. Now that would be nice.

This is what I use. http://www.easyblindsonline.co.uk/easyblackout-Material.html

It was only a tenner for a piece big enough to cover my window and I just use some heavy duty velcro tape to keep it up. It doesn't look particularly elegant but it does the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I use. http://www.easyblindsonline.co.uk/easyblackout-Material.html

It was only a tenner for a piece big enough to cover my window and I just use some heavy duty velcro tape to keep it up. It doesn't look particularly elegant but it does the job.

Thanks, nice tip. That looks just the business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that too but it seems summer SAD does exist!

http://www.yourmindyourbody.org/seasonal-affective-disorder-in-the-summer/

I definitely have it. The sun, heat and constant light makes me feel horrible. Really irritable and disorientated.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm feeling down, think it is because of S.A.D. Only really started once it got dark after 6ish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's reverse SAD or not, but my depression always seems to be at its worst in June. It's odd, because I like long days and warm weather, but that time of year is never good for me (and, in fact, last June was one of the worst depressive periods I can remember). Late July onwards is fine, though, and I'm doing well now :)
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    move to spain

sorted