Does GB find it harder to relate to black acts?

Comments

• GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    No. Leona. JLS. Alexandra. Heck, Shirley Bassey was topping the charts in the 1950s.

Well said. X Factor may have a lot of older viewers - but these viewers were listening to music in the 50s and 60s with loads of black singers and groups and loved them.

So the thread starter doesn't understand the viewer - all mixed ages and races I'm guessing.

It's about the talent, the song choice and whether they look like they understand what they're singing about.

And to me that can change week on week as to who I think was good or bad. Would think most other people think the same way - not everyone sticks with the same person every week even if they were rubbish do they?
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    This is a tricky one, I don't think it's out and out racism as Leona and Alex have won, however they are kind of general artists who appeal to a lot of people.

The problem is the culture, that I think the older white viewers don't get, Leona and Alex where very plain/boring on the show, whereas people like Hannah and Misha fully embraced their culture, slang etc I think this is what alienates the older viewers

I find it so frustrating as they are not giving these acts a chance, who are creative and unique and just voting for bland bores like Nicholas and Luke

I dont think it is just black artists with in your face personalities who are disliked. Kitty, Katie W, Rhydian (one of the whitest contestants on the show) and cher got a lot of hate for not being shy and retiring and were called arrogant.
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get over yourself. Clearly, the point was not that every single British person is a knuckle-dragging Combat 18 member that shoots their TV every time a black acts appears. Or even that no white person ever votes for a black act. The question is whether black acts struggle to get the fanbase that acts like Eoghan Quigg and Christopher Maloney seem to get very easily.

Moronic statement of the year.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lombard wrote: »
    Evidently, that isn't true.

If you've convinced yourself that white people are racist ('even if they don't realise it'), there's basically nothing that will convince you otherwise. Everything will simply be prove to be evidence that you're right. It's the same logic employed by paranoids and conspiracy theorists.

LMAO uhm my mother is white and I'm pretty sure she isn't racist, I just meant that it could be possible it is a sub-conscious thing.

IT'S A DISCUSSION FORUM FFS! DISCUSS, NOT ARGUE!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane54 wrote: »
    Moronic statement of the year.

They actually made a very valid point.

You should really stop, I feel embarrassed for you. You're just proving to everyone what a dimwit and overall unpleasant person you are in every sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TammyTam wrote: »
    Evidently, all people like you see is the word 'race' before you convince yourself it's a thread bashing white people.
    No, I read the OP before deciding that. Sorry to let you down.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    OK
    Winners:
    Leona (half caste)
    Alexandra

Runners-Up
    JLS
    Marcus Collins
    Jahmene Douglas (half-caste)
    Rebecca Ferguson

I think it sums up that GB don't go by race but by talent

Mixed race .
    The blacker you are, the less chance you have, I agree to some extent, but Hannah Barratt wasn't that great anyway.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RC do seem more 'urban' than JLS, who were more pop/R'n'B, and they didn't seem to speak any urban slang, just regular English, so maybe people found it easier to relate to them :confused:

I'm white, middle aged and JLS are my favourite XF group (along with Eton Road). I liked Rough Copy at the beginning, but now I'm rooting for Luke :) I'd still like to see them in the final though :)

I believe Alex is mixed race, isn't she part Native American Indian and also part Irish?

Gamu was African and seemed very popular - what a shame we never saw her in the live shows :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally disagree with this post! I loved JLS, Jahmene, Alexandra (And I'm not black) so... Sorry to the OP but I cant see any connection at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO uhm my mother is white and I'm pretty sure she isn't racist, I just meant that it could be possible it is a sub-conscious thing.
    LMAO uhm, this is what you wrote:
    I fully expect most responses to this thread saying 'no', but the majority of users on here are probably white and refuse to believe that there is sub-conscious racism amongst us all (whether we know it or we don't) when, if you think about it, it's definitely possible.
    Why are white people more likely to deny their own racism?
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the op has never stated all whites hate black i really cant stand when posters take things out of context.

the reality is there is a certain type of black or mixed race artist that britain seems to love more than others generally, like many have said jls, leona, and alexandra were very pop rnb mixed and didnt speak in the way many young black people speak in the uk in terms of accent. both misha b and hannah speak in accents that the average young black person in the uk speaks like and they are very much into black culture which i feel generally the uk doesnt relate to however ive noticed whenever a white person acts in an urban sort of way like james arthur and cher lyodd they are loved alot, evan sam baileys style of music is very soulfull and rnb, she is far from pop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gentleguy wrote: »
    the op has never stated all whites hate black i really cant stand when posters take things out of context.

the reality is there is a certain type of black or mixed race artist that britain seems to love more than others generally, like many have said jls, leona, and alexandra were very pop rnb mixed and didnt speak in the way many young black people speak in the uk in terms of accent. both misha b and hannah speak in accents that the average young black person in the uk speaks like and they are very much into black culture which i feel generally the uk doesnt relate to however ive noticed whenever a white person acts in an urban sort of way like james arthur and cher lyodd they are loved alot, evan sam baileys style of music is very soulfull and rnb, she is far from pop.

Misha speaks with a regular Manc accent. And J Arthur and Lloyd are equally, if not more, hated than Misha. Yes, people might not like the 'urban' style of music, but that's a matter of taste, not race.
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the old Motown, Nat king Cole had a beautiful voice, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone & the fantastic Billie Holiday.
    Colour isn't an issue at all.

My dislikes are any acts/artists that perform with their trousers round their ankles, grabbing their crotches looking as though they are wearing soggy nappies while rapping or chanting unintelligible lyrics.

I will not like or listen to any artist that does any of the above. It doesn't matter what colour they are, its that style, genre of music that does not appeal to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TammyTam wrote: »
    They actually made a very valid point.

You should really stop, I feel embarrassed for you. You're just proving to everyone what a dimwit and overall unpleasant person you are in every sense.

You're trying to get at me because of the post I made in another thread about your heroes Little Mix. Not entirely appropriate in a thread about racism. Stop trolling me.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Black female acts these days are usually doomed from the off! !! Leona was the exception as she was Simons chosen one...and what he says goes(the rest from that yr were meh to mediocre imo). ...Alex came up trumps once laura white left.....and singing with the biggest rnb singer on the last show marked her cards for the win!!!

Lots of tension within this thread tonight....wow makes interesting reading too! !!!
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    lmao I knew loads of you would react so aggressively towards me for making this thread instead of actually discussing the issue.

I'm mixed race and I just wanted to know how other people felt. Sheesh, you wouldn't think that DS was a discussion board anymore would you?

are you a light skinned sista or a dude?
  • radiofan4radiofan4 Posts: 370
    Forum Member

I had to laugh at your post, because you live a very SHELTERED LIFE. You need to get out more and not stereotype black people in general. NOT every black person speaks slang or have a so called "black culture accent" What on earth are you takling about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lombard wrote: »
    Misha speaks with a regular Manc accent. And J Arthur and Lloyd are equally, if not more, hated than Misha. Yes, people might not like the 'urban' style of music, but that's a matter of taste, not race.

misha speaks in a black manc accent it does actually exist unless you live in manchester or know people from manchester you most likely wouldnt know what it sounds like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, going by this thread... Hannah was my favourite, definitely the best singer... But I am still racist... Why? Cause I didn't vote for her 1000 times instead of 7? Or am I racist for liking a black singer in the first place? Oh god op I am so confused and guilty. Oh and I fancy the little hot one out of a rough Copy but they are not my favourite singers. Help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiofan4 wrote: »
    I had to laugh at your post, because you live a very SHELTERED LIFE. You need to get out more and not stereotype black people in general. NOT every black person speaks slang or have a so called "black culture accent" What on earth are you takling about

never did i say every black person acts like this or that i said there is general accent that many young black british people do have plain and simple, not all of them speak like this but many do thats a fact i myself a black person do not speak with the typical black british accent which does exist the same way there is african american english.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha speaks in a black manc accent it does actually exist unless you live in manchester or know people from manchester you most likely wouldnt know what it sounds like.
    Therefore it wouldn't register with most viewers. I don't recall her using any cod West Indian slang, like Hannah did.
  • radiofan4radiofan4 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    never did i say every black person acts like this or that i said there is general accent that many young black british people do have plain and simple, not all of them speak like this but many do thats a fact i myself a black person do not speak with the typical black british accent which does exist the same way there is african american english.

I think you should re-read your post. Plus I never said that all black people speak in accent as you described in my post ( again re-read the post) You're really describing accents in the circle of people that your in, that would make more sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a thread.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Folks talking about accents here....nothing to do with accents at all here. .....the actual look of a person speaks volumes to the viewing eye.....whereas leona, Alex and Tamera looks like models, both Misha and Hannah wasnt so privaledged....and that gave some folks more cause for verbal negativity!!!:yawn::rolleyes::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a thread. In 2013.

There's no hope is there?