Yorkshire is gearing up for the Tour de France!

Comments

• KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not normally in to sport, but the atmosphere is really building in the area, and we are definitely going to watch.
    There are loads of really cool shop windows, art displays and knitted cycle jersey bunting everywhere.
    It is going to bring quite a lot of money to the area.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Djamolidine Abdoujaparov - I just felt like posting his name as it's a name and a half! He's an ex pro cyclist and competitor in the Tour de France btw for those who didn't know.

Involved in one of the best(worst?) crashes I've ever seen as well. Carnage.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Is this on TV? Or is there a live stream or something? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    Is this on TV? Or is there a live stream or something? :confused:

Yep, ITV4.
    Forum Member
    Yep, ITV4.

Live or just highlights?
    Forum Member
    Live or just highlights?

Actually just looked and the whole first and second stages at least are on ITV, most stages are shown live on ITV4 and then highlights at 7:00. If you're not really into cycling I'd probably advise against watching the whole of a flat stage live.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, the atmosphere in town today was incredible. I'm almost regretting our decision to get out of Yorkshire tomorrow :(
    Forum Member
    Actually just looked and the whole first and second stages at least are on ITV, most stages are shown live on ITV4 and then highlights at 7:00. If you're not really into cycling I'd probably advise against watching the whole of a flat stage live.

I watched the giro live, but only because I knew the roads they were on.
    Forum Member
    I watched the giro live, but only because I knew the roads they were on.

I'll watch a mountain stage live every time but flat stages can have long periods where not a great deal happens. Obviously some can be fantastic though.
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I have to say, the atmosphere in town today was incredible. I'm almost regretting our decision to get out of Yorkshire tomorrow :(
    Completely agree with you. The atmosphere was fantastic in Leeds today: all the tourists, the French TV vans, French flags fluttering over Leeds City Hall, lots of people taking pictures.

I am going away to Scotland for a few days but am beginning to wish I was here too :)
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    Completely agree with you. The atmosphere was fantastic in Leeds today: all the tourists, the French TV vans, French flags fluttering over Leeds City Hall, lots of people taking pictures.

I am going away to Scotland for a few days but am beginning to wish I was here too :)

I saw one of these cars pass my work this afternoon :D

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/figurines-of-miffy-the-popular-dutch-rabbit-are-seen-above-news-photo/451610886
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member

I saw them today driving up Calverley Street and all the cars were honking their horns. Great picture :) I am kicking myself for not having my camera with me :(
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great event, and a fantastic showcase for Yorkshire. Having ridden through a few of the villages on the route last week, it's safe to say that plenty of people are very much in the spirit.

Really looking forward to the weekend.
  • jolfc5jolfc5 Posts: 1,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Harrogate and the finish for stage one is up on what is called The Stray. From what I have heard there is live music, food, big screen up and loads more going on for the weekend there. I also live metres from the road they travel up for stage two and shall be out tomorrow cheering. I actually got home from work quicker than normal yesterday even though I was expecting it to take forever, :) Many businesses on the route are having events such as barbeques and a bar. I cant wait, I think it will be great , :)
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, it's raining today.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it called the Tour de France if it's in Yorkshire?
    Forum Member

Only the first two stages are in Yorkshire.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skazza wrote: »
    Of course, it's raining today.

It wouldn't be a Yorkshire event without rain.

"Sur Ilkla Moor Sans Chapeau" as they may be saying today.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Le Tour is passing through Cambridge next Monday and the whole city is going to on lock down. Many businesses and schools are closing for the day as traffic is going to be so bad - even by Cambridge standards where it is always bad

https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/le-tour-cambridge

I was in town the other day and the council is franticly trying to fill in all of the potholes in time. A big pile up due to a crater in the road would be very embarrassing.

According to the papers Cambridge is ignoring the race and no one is getting excited or painting yellow bikes etc.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the first two stages are in Yorkshire.

Can yer ride tandem?:D:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    According to the papers Cambridge is ignoring the race and no one is getting excited or painting yellow bikes etc.

There certainly seems to be a lack of enthusiasm compared to Yorkshire. The only time you hear Le Tour mentioned is when people are moaning about the traffic problems it will cause. Cambridge is arguably the cycling capital of the UK so you'd think there would be more interest.

Cambridge is "flat and boring" says some flat capped Northerner:
    http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Cambridge-urged-to-raise-its-game-for-Tour-de-France-by-Yorkshire-residents-20140704145259.htm
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

It's a shame more people aren't getting into the spirit of what is going to be a great event, but it seems rather typical of this country to whinge about having to talk a bit further than normal unfortunately.

I am rather amused about people talking about how it's going to cause traffic chaos in Cambridge - would anyone notice any difference from a normal day!
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tour has visited other countries for a long while now. Sometimes they even cross over to another country within a stage.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In recent times it's become tradition that they start outside of France every other year.....

The Giro (Tour of Italy) do the same.......they started in Belfast this year and in Denmark two years ago. I think they're starting in Canada in a couple of years so that's a long way from Italy !
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic crowds!
    tealady wrote: »
    The tour has visited other countries for a long while now. Sometimes they even cross over to another country within a stage.

I imagine they do more merchandise in the countries they fleetingly visit.