BBC AAC Flash streams

Comments

• CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Has anybody attempted this yet? Sounds like a work-around.

Some internet radios can play the previous AAC ADTS streams but can't play these new HLS streams. If you are in this situation, you can work around the problem by running MinimStreamer and MinimServer on a computer........
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Has anybody attempted this yet? Sounds like a work-around.

Some internet radios can play the previous AAC ADTS streams but can't play these new HLS streams. If you are in this situation, you can work around the problem by running MinimStreamer and MinimServer on a computer........

Yes, it works! Two downsides though:

1) It requires the computer running the MinimServer software to be powered & logged in to use your radio on the same network.

2) It is a Java app so you need Java installed (which is rapidly losing favour due to security issues).
  • Alan ThewAlan Thew Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) It requires the computer running the MinimServer software to be powered & logged in to use your radio on the same network.

The cost and carbon footprint of running a server full time are not inconsiderable; and the inconvenience of running the server only when you want to listen to the radio is not inconsiderable. In any case, it's a workaround that requires more technical expertise than could be reasonably expected from the average consumer (not that I'm implying anyone on here has suggested otherwise).
    Forum Member
    There's a petition here...

I can't believe that the BBC still haven't sorted this out, it's been months!
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In their minds they have it sorted - the storm has blown itself out.
  • VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. The Beeb's mindset nowadays is that they are a publisher, not a broadcaster. Therefore a failure to produce standards-compliant and open-source content becomes, in their minds, a failure on the consumption side of the consumers to keep up with the format in which the publishing is taking place. While the per-TV-receiver licence fee is in force and in future [shudder] a per-household levy, there is nothing for these New Meeja morons to die of.
  • adman50adman50 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Though not about the flash streams, the BBC have restored MP3 geo-blocked streams for Radio5 live & sports extra. This is correct before anyone says its not happened.
  • VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The streams were always there, but the 'geo-blocking' amounted to fading down content and replacing with a 'Due to rights issues...' barker when sporting events started. Are you saying that the servers supporting the MP3 streams can now discriminate against non-UK IP addresses, leaving the content playing for the UK audience?
  • adman50adman50 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    yes they can
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    This story just adds insult to injury. Making high-quality downloads available to devices that can't take advantage of them while ignoring the kit that can.

BBC radio shows set for mobile and tablet downloads
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/14/bbc-radio-shows-mobile-and-tablet-downloads-apple-android
  • buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No new IOS iPlayer Radio app yet.
    And the Guardian article helpfully puts a link to the relevant BBC info page. NOT.

So here's the link to what minimal info the BBC offer:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33519389

Apparently the Android app with full downloading is out there now.

The BBC has a reputation for obsoleting your expensive Apple hardware by releasing key apps that won't run under even slightly old versions of IOS or of phone hardware. Let's hope this will not be the case this time around with the All Downloads iPlayer Radio app. (I'm an iPhone 4s owner)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    buglawton wrote: »
    Apparently the Android app with full downloading is out there now
    Read it again.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a Roberts Stream 93i or iStream 2 there is new firmware out now

https://www.robertsradiotechnical.co.uk/News.aspx
    DASH Support – You can now listen to BBC Internet Radio streams at a significantly higher audio quality than previously.
    On-Demand Listening – Catch up on many recent broadcasts from the BBC. These are also now available in a higher audio quality than previously. In addition, you may pause, resume, rewind or fast-forward through the programme being listened to.
    Music Player – Support for the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) for music files streamed to the radio using DLNA or played from a USB memory device.
    Kitchen Timer – A convenient and easy to use timer, that may be set in one minute increments up to a maximum of 5 hours. A buzzer alarm will sound at the end of the set interval, but with a faster volume increase than existing alarms. The Kitchen Timer may be used whether the radio is playing or in standby, with a ‘time remaining’ indicator present on the display during use.
    BBC 6 Music at 323kbps now - not that I can tell the difference on the Stream 93i over DAB...

Can't work out how to access the On Demand though.

Rather oddly the upgrade kept my DAB presets but lost FM and Internet Radio and WiFi login details. Seems to be more hesitant to flick to stronger DAB signals before - took ten seconds for it to realise how awful Gem 106 on Derby was and to retune to Nottingham.... Normally it would switch after a second or so.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if there's going to be an upgrade for the 83i?
  • midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had the update pushed to my 93i. BBC podcasts now working and BBC stations connecting a lot faster.

BBC London Internet stream showing AAC 319kbps. Not sure what it was prior but don't think it was that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    If you have a Roberts Stream 93i or iStream 2 there is new firmware out now

https://www.robertsradiotechnical.co.uk/News.aspx

BBC 6 Music at 323kbps now - not that I can tell the difference on the Stream 93i over DAB...

Can't work out how to access the On Demand though.

Rather oddly the upgrade kept my DAB presets but lost FM and Internet Radio and WiFi login details. Seems to be more hesitant to flick to stronger DAB signals before - took ten seconds for it to realise how awful Gem 106 on Derby was and to retune to Nottingham.... Normally it would switch after a second or so.

On demand you can get through the podcastts (sorted by genre) or BBC section (sorted by station)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On demand you can get through the podcastts (sorted by genre) or BBC section (sorted by station)

Ah, I thought the podcasts were podcasts, not iPlayer! Not used them much, guessing now that's because they're been broken!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Ah, I thought the podcasts were podcasts, not iPlayer! Not used them much, guessing now that's because they're been broken!

They said "no podcast available" prior to update.

The ones I've tried are full shows anyway - Duncan Barnes, Simon Lederman (Radio London) and Marie Crichtons Country Show (Shrops)
  • KDHKDH Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of relevant facts here regarding the Stream 93i update

- comments on RobertsRadio facebook page indicate that some have had their radios suddenly switch on at full volume at midnight after firmware update :o
    ...................... https://www.facebook.com/Roberts.Radio/

- new display dimming/off options

Also on the station list there is a Radio 3 HD - UK only listing that now fails to open ( I'm guessing this should be opening the 320k MP3 stream?)
    There is also a "Radio 5 live - UK only" listing using the "old" 128k MP3 stream
    .............. most other BBC stations are now running the 320k AAC HLS DASH streams
    These are quite bandwidth intensive so I'll add the old 128k MP3 streams into my added stations on the frontier silicon portal. I'm not sure 5 live sports extra sometimes needs that good sound quality all the time:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KDH wrote: »
    C- new display dimming/off options
    Didn't mention that it would forget that setting, was a bit of an unwelcome surprise when I tried to get to sleep after updating it. Thankfully the "Off" setting is much dimmer than the old one (the clock just about visible).

Has rebooted a couple of times on me when listening to 2BR (FKA The Bee), was formallyt fine now get stuck buffering then after a minute either starts responding or rebooting.
  • zorro2566zorro2566 Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just updated my Roberts 93i and all the BBCs are coming in at 95 kbps aac (online streams).I am in Ireland so didnt expect the 320kbps that the UK listeners are receiving but very happy with the sound quality. What would 95 kbps aac equate to in mp3?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got no audio from any BBC stream here tonight.

They are showing a bit rate of 0kbps and a sampling rate of 0hz...

Podcasts are fine, just the live streams

Edt - They seem to be aware of it following comments from others on fb page
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem seems to be the BBC AAC Streams are down. Ive just tried radiofeeds site and got silence too.

The 128k MP3 streams seem to be working (ive only tried BBC Radio London though) so a temporary workaround would be to add those to your radio via the radiofeeds add facility here Its not ideal i know but works until the Beeb get it working again

btw here is the response from Roberts. It should be noted that i sent them an email in the early hours and they replied at 9.01am. That is excellent service imo :

"I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your radio.

The BBC streaming service is currently not working and has so far been out of action for nearly 24 hours. Unfortunately I can only suggest that you try every few hours to see if it is working again and maybe listen to another service in the meantime. I am sure the BBC are doing everything they can.

If I can be of any further help, please me know.

Best Regards

Sarah Harrison
    Customer Account Manager
    Roberts Radio Technical
    Forum Member
    Just found this "update" (Feb 2016) from Jim Simmons.
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC internet stations still all "off air" with no indication of when they will be back.