jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *dry heaves*
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    LOL you call those examples stylish?

It was just the fashion then and a naff one at that.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    OMG...Mike Read looks a bit ott in that second pic and as for Bradley Walsh...has he fell into a can of irn bru.
    Kylie ...she's all bubble perm and teeth...thank god she managed to salvaged herself.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    OMG...Mike Read looks a bit ott in that second pic and as for Bradley Walsh...has he fell into a can of irn bru.
    Kylie ...she's all bubble perm and teeth...thank god she managed to salvaged herself.

Its not Mike Reid its a random game show contestant....and a female one at that

heres a few more gems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUzA66h2yHA
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member

heres a few more gems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUzA66h2yHA

Lol....i know its not him.
    Looks a bit like him though.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)Laughing at the shoulder pads in the third pick. Did they have to cut up a sofa to make that jacket?
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I agree that we have lost our style direction lately but those are terrible examples. It wasn't perfect by a long shot but I would say that the early 1980s were a time when people made some sort of effort to look good. I'm seeing young people out now looking like my old Nan did when she got confused and nobody commented then that Nan looked amazingly fashionable so that tells me something.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the contestants on bulleye. All the fellas look like pedophiles, all the women look like derdrie Barlow, with curly perms and shoulder pads..
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness we'll all look back on the 'Mr Whippy' hairstyle everyone has today and cringe (if we don't already).
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Anyone who married in the 1970s will have a set of really embarrassing photos - white suit with wide lapels, Zapata moustache and an Afro
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OPs either being sarcastic or has the worst style in the world those pics are "interesting" shall we say:D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Kylie's been living in London for years but wasn't that picture from long before she came here? Therefore she's nothing to do with the UK's so called style that you're claiming we had back then, because she was in Australia! :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some female hairstyles back in the eighties would look okay today. Others, however...they looked embarrassing and would only belong in the eighties.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Some female hairstyles back in the eighties would look okay today. Others, however...they looked embarrassing and would only belong in the eighties.

Which hairstyles do you think would look ok?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »

I don't think bob-cut hairstyles looked too bad back then or short hairstyles like Diana's below.

https://beepbeepstreet.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/350x500_ladydi.jpeg
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »

Also, the below hairstyle on the beautiful Heather Locklear.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/de/e0/e7/dee0e71ead052420f5b5419fb6c5ec0a.jpg
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol....i know its not him.
    Looks a bit like him though.

I got it and I agree it was my first thought as well! lol :D
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I open this thread expecting references to the 40s and 50s. The 80s were many fabulous things but stylish wasn't one of them.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether we think the fashions of the eighties were awful or not is beside the point. The eighties had a style, therefore the statement that it was a 'stylish' era can't really be argued against.
    Nobody could look at those pictures and not know straight away that they were taken in the eighties, because they clearly demonstrate the eighties style.
    Will we look at pictures of quiz show contestants of today in 30 years time and be able to pinpoint the decade? I doubt it because what is the 'style' these days? A bit of very selective 1970s rehashing?
    So,really ( imo ) the OP statement that we have no style any more and the citing of photos of the 1980s to illustrate is quite accurate.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my proudest life achievements: I never wore a shell suit. For a time, it seems as if almost everyone wore that. I did stumble to the trend of moussed-hairsprayed permed hair, though. :cry:

I do think this decade has distinctive clothes styles among youths. Skater, hipster or retro-Edwardian Dandy look. The 1990s as well. Grunge, metal, Ministry of Sound, Madchester, etc.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Anyone who married in the 1970s will have a set of really embarrassing photos - white suit with wide lapels, Zapata moustache and an Afro

And sadly those are usually their wedding photos, when they pulled out ALL the sartorial stops.

ETA Sorry I misread that and didn't realise you were already talking about wedding pics.
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jobcentres not stylish at all and doesn't like summer style :(

I like to think more summer stylish, board shorts and topless or kappa tracksuit bottoms and top less with a New York Yankees baseball cap. But apparently that's not acceptable in the JC.

Suppose they'd prefer people to wear orange or grey jumpsuits.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear...:D