Options

Samuel L Jackson's Movies..

AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Dont you just love this guy, what a veteran he is. I think its brilliant how he takes on any role, irrelevant on whether it is going to be a huge success, and his characters of the bad man with a sweary vocabulary is awesome.

I just watched Lakeview Terrace, and as usual, is the best thing about the film.

Pulp, Jackie B, Die Hard, Incredibles etc

Samuel L. Jackson is one of those rare character actors who can take even the weakest of scripts and turn the dialogue into pure cinematic gold, ie "My ass may be dumb, but I ain't no dumbass." (Jackie Brown)

Do you all agree he is one of the best actors out there..?

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the movies he's in are great, others not so great. Definitely not someone who believes less is more that's for sure.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Self-effacing, honest chap when interviewed too.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he gave one of his finest performances as Wesley Snipes', older, alchoholic, drug abusing brother in Jungle Fever.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is awesome.

Who else could pull off 'Snakes On A Plane'? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really got the Samuel L Jackson love until the other day when I finally saw Pulp Fiction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    AJ Wheels wrote: »
    I think its brilliant how he takes on any role, irrelevant on whether it is going to be a huge success

This is code for "will do anything for money". Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but please, some quality control might be nice.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he's one of my favourite actors too.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt he's a decent bloke off camera, but I've never been able to warm to him.

His standard movie persona is usually just too self assured.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Aimee26 wrote: »
    I never really got the Samuel L Jackson love until the other day when I finally saw Pulp Fiction.

That's a film I really must see. Am I right in saying that the character he plays in this film is fairly young...I knew I recognised him:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    That's a film I really must see. Am I right in saying that the character he plays in this film is fairly young...I knew I recognised him:o
    On tonight on BBC3 coincidentally. :D

http://uk-tv-guide.com/programme-details/BBC+3/23+January+2010/23:40/Pulp+Fiction/Film/
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member

the character he plays in this film will have you laughing your head off, to probably the most quotable dialogue he has ever had, and ever will have
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they speak English in What? :D
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:eek: You've never watched Pulp Fiction! WATCH IT NOW!!! You won't regret it.

There's a reason that film catapulted Sam Jackson to the big league. He's awesome in it - and the rest of the film's not to shabby, either ;)

I love Sam. He's the coolest man alive. I remember seeing him on Jonathan Ross a few years ago and Ross said that he betted Sam could do the lottery and still make it sound cool. Consequently, Sam said "Release those big money balls," and yes, he did manage to make it sound like the coolest thing ever!

He's one of those guys who can make even a pants film watchable.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Just seen Lakeview Terrace, he was great in that. Without him the film wouldn't have been worth watching.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He made 1408 too, which I thought was a fairly ridiculous film in its execution. One minute he's just a hotel manager, the next he's all up in your fridge:p
  • Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably in a minority but I really enjoyed 51st State.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    This is code for "will do anything for money". Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but please, some quality control might be nice.

Agreed. This is a man who portrayed one of the main characters in Pulp Fiction, such an iconic character and so brilliantly acted. He spoke Tarantino's words excellently.

Then we have "Snakes On A Plane" ffs.

And to an extent, The 51st State (although I do like The 51st State but probably because I watched them filming it around where I live).

He's a Yes man.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    F2kSel wrote: »
    I'm probably in a minority but I really enjoyed 51st State.

I'm with you. Made the wearing of kilts look positively beyond cool.

Not a fan of Pulp Fiction or Tarantino in general. Bright idea to put Sam in a curly wig? Ridiculous looking gangsters.... mullet head and Perm top.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Deep Blue Sea !! Best suprise kill ever....his speach prior to that was just so intentionally hammy it was great !!

Was good in Goodfellas as well....for the few minutes he was in it !!! another excellent death !! lol
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chazza2201 wrote: »
    Deep Blue Sea !! Best suprise kill ever....his speach prior to that was just so intentionally hammy it was great !!

His death in that wasn't even the best in the film. Killing off your main character with 10 minutes of the film left simply because test audiences had told you that nobody liked her. Now that was a surprise. A pleasant one.

One SLJ film that rarely gets mentioned is 187. I love that film.