Sky Atlantic to be "free and exclusive to Sky customers"

Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Coming February.

Saw it advertised on Sky 3 today.

The exclusive bit must mean no carriage agreement with VM.

Comments

• Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment....
  • Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    At the moment....

If Sky are promoting it is an exclusive then they can't give it to VM for ages. Most Sky exclusives they do not make a point of advertising like this. It is going to be at least a year, and possibly years before Sky Atlantic comes to VM.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good that Sky have now got a single channel on which to dump all their US shit.
    The only decent US shows were Lost and 24 - both long gone.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be held hostage by sky if they don't have it on virgin I will get the programme another way...

I have watched boardwalk empire, and I watch WWE other ways due to VM not having sky sports 3 HD.... Sillly sky
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good that Sky have now got a single channel on which to dump all their US shit.

It's the quality US cable shows that few watch either in the US or UK that are going on Atlantic.

The normal US network programmes will still be on Sky 1/Sky Living.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sky are promoting it is an exclusive then they can't give it to VM for ages. Most Sky exclusives they do not make a point of advertising like this. It is going to be at least a year, and possibly years before Sky Atlantic comes to VM.

Dunno how you work that out. One only has to remember the Basics dispute to see how quickly on-air advertising, that in the press and on billboards changed and equally how quickly it changed back at the end of the dispute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    It's the quality US cable shows that few watch either in the US or UK that are going on Atlantic.

The normal US network programmes will still be on Sky 1/Sky Living.

:mad:
    I thought this Atlantic channel was going to be the home for all of Skys new US product.
    Although it did seem far fetched that Sky One could run without US shows
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote will still be for the HD feed being a Sky exclusive and the SD Feed being given to Virgin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote will still be for the HD feed being a Sky exclusive and the SD Feed being given to Virgin.

I would expect so.
    Sky do need to have some significant HD channels to combat the free HD that Virgin offer
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guessing this is the advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Ne5L4_8PY

The Logo is Sky Atlantic HD, so that doesn't mean the SD version won't be available to Virgin customers.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Mad Men eventually become FTA on terrestrial again? Ever?

Or will I have to buy or rent the boxsets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Will Mad Men eventually become FTA on terrestrial again? Ever?

Or will I have to buy or rent the boxsets?

I doubt it. So yes, get Sky, or bittorrent them, or watch the boxsets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helix wrote: »
    Guessing this is the advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Ne5L4_8PY

The Logo is Sky Atlantic HD, so that doesn't mean the SD version won't be available to Virgin customers.

It does mean that the SD version won't be available on Virgin. Sky put HD on the end of their channel names rather than saying & HD (e.g. Sky 1 and Sky 1 HD - they just say Sky 1 HD and you realise that this means both channels). Confusing but true.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    So it is now no longer 'peace in our time' between Virgin and Sky. They really are the most devious company. When they finally agree for Sky 1 HD to go on Virgin, they launch another channel and put all the best stuff on that, thereby reducing the quality of Sky 1 to just another channel. They won't be happy until they have 100% of all pay tv subscribers. Well, I for one will not be going to Sky. If Virgin are not showing Atlantic, I will watch the shows another way.
  • ashjfashjf Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:
    I thought this Atlantic channel was going to be the home for all of Skys new US product.
    Although it did seem far fetched that Sky One could run without US shows

I thought Sky Atlantic was only for HBO shows? from the deal Sky made to be exclusively screen HBO shows in the UK.

Also i'm sure Virgin will get the channel as Sky now offer their channels to Virgin under the deal from the sale of VMTV.
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashjf wrote: »
    I thought Sky Atlantic was only for HBO shows? from the deal Sky made to be exclusively screen HBO shows in the UK.

It is supposed to be the home for HBO shows but the schedule is filled up with other stuff as well
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it is now no longer 'peace in our time' between Virgin and Sky. They really are the most devious company. When they finally agree for Sky 1 HD to go on Virgin, they launch another channel and put all the best stuff on that, thereby reducing the quality of Sky 1 to just another channel. They won't be happy until they have 100% of all pay tv subscribers. Well, I for one will not be going to Sky. If Virgin are not showing Atlantic, I will watch the shows another way.

Why would all the various platforms have the same channels? pointless.

Virgin could have done a deal with HBO, but they did not want to, Sky did and it's on a Sky platform seems simple.

VM can do a deal with any distributer they want, if they want.

bit like Film 4HD, this is not available to Sky subscribers, Virgin did a 'deal' as an exclusive to them, I think there are also a couple of channels on Freesat that are not open to Sky (?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    It doesn't bother me one bit that Sky is keeping Sky Atlantic to themselves cos if it's all US imports then most people will torrent them to keep up to date with them at US pace instead of waiting days/weeks/months for said episode to arrive.

Haven't seen it with Sky lately as the newer episodes of Lost or 24 were broadcast within days of the US airing but it's hard to avoid people gobbing it about spoilers (Lost was bad for that).

It comes as no surprise that Sky is doing this as HD is the only card they can hold to keep their customers jumping ship to Virgin, BT Vision or Freesat. Personally i'm a bit pissed off paying for Sky Sports HD on Virgin and Sky is only giving them two channels of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashjf wrote: »

Also i'm sure Virgin will get the channel as Sky now offer their channels to Virgin under the deal from the sale of VMTV.

I doubt the HBO library would be enough to keep an entire channel going.

I'm wondering if this channel will feature uninterrupted programmes like the Movie channels to give it more prestige.
    Otherwise its just another in the long list of ad filled channels and another one to avoid in favour of Bluray boxsets
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I would be surprised if even the SD version of Sky Atlantic appears on VM, at least for a while anyway. Sky never refer to the SD channels now so when the promo's say 'Sky Atlantic HD being exclusive to Sky' I read it as the whole channel.

It would seem daft for the HBO content to be pulled from TVC only to then be made available on this channel, I couldn't see Sky being that kind.

I wonder when Sky Arts HD will make an appearance, I think it's around 6 months since the 'coming soon' announcement.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the HBO library would be enough to keep an entire channel going.

I'm wondering if this channel will feature uninterrupted programmes like the Movie channels to give it more prestige.
    Otherwise its just another in the long list of ad filled channels and another one to avoid in favour of Bluray boxsets

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_downloads/823/Sky%20Atlantic%20HD-%20no%20logos%20(W).pdf

From what I can gather on the net, I think that HBO shows will be shown with just one centre break. That way, they will fit into an hour slot,

FX show True Blood with three internal breaks in a 65m slot and C4 show it with four in a 70m slot.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

What nonsense. I have seen the full list of US shows lined up for Sky Atlantic. Right from the start (not counting future acquisitions), the channel will have more quality drama on it than the entire British TV industry has generated in the last ten years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Atlantic does not just show HBO shows:

Angels in America
    Bored to Death
    Big Love
    Boardwalk Empire
    Bored to Death
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Eastbound & Down
    Empire Falls
    Enlightened
    Entourage
    ER
    Flight of the Conchords
    Funny or Die
    Game of Thrones
    Generation Kill
    How To Make It In America
    Hung
    In Treatment
    Inside the Actors Studio
    Luck
    Mad Men
    Mildred Pierce
    Seinfeld
    Six Feet Under
    Tell Me You Love Me
    The Mind of the Married Man
    The Pacific
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    The X-Files
    Thirtysomething
    Treme
    Weeds

That is a lot of good programming for one channel. I almost wonder how they are going to fit it all in. I can see Sky Atlantic 2 coming soon. Only thing missing is maybe a deal with Showtime, so they could show Dexter and Californication.
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely agree with you. Sky could have chosen to take subscriptions off us and advertisers could make extra revenue. Rather than that we are being used as pawns again. It is time there was proper regulation to stop this happening. It's not going to happen though.