Stephen King's IT to be adapted as 2 movies

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By coincidence, I'm just re-reading the novel now. The two-movie idea is interesting, as trying to cram the whole story into one film would test the patience even of those who sat through the extended LOTR epics. I wonder if they'll do the kids' story first, then the adults, or try and mix it up a bit???
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet it ends up with half the original budget and directed by Mick Garris, whom King seems to think is some kind of auteur genius.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,990
    Forum Member
    It dare say it won't be as good as the original film/miniseries from 1990.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    I want Tim Curry as pennywise again, hope they dont make it a CGI character.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the original mini series, one of the better adaptations of Kings work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO it was never really one of Stephen King's best novels (I still think Pet Semetary is his best).
    To be honest, I never got the "turtle" and the ... erm ... "bonding" with the kids was uncomfortable.

Whilst it wasn't perfect, the mini-series got a lot of things right.
    The best thing (as people have already pointed out) was Tim Curry as Pennywise.
    Absolutely pant-fillingly scary.
    "Yes. They float Georgie! They all float! And when you're down here ... YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!!"
    :eek:

Only person I can think of who might pull it off in a remake would be Jackie Earle Haley ... but not CGI ... please!
  • spm2012spm2012 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    I want Tim Curry as pennywise again, hope they dont make it a CGI character.

Yeah Tim should play him again, it doesn't matter that he is alot older as he would be wearing make up anyway.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    The raft of SK mini-series aired in the 90s were largely excellent - IT, The Stand and Storm of the Century were all great - the only one that didn't work for me at that time was the mini-series version of The Shining.

The mini-series route would be a much better option than straight movies for King's Dark Tower series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They all float!

That film really freaked me out when I was younger.

Then laughed at the stupid monster at the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    They all float!

Yeah it was pretty bad looking lol they have the tech now to make it more like the book ending,the turtle,chud ,flying through space etc...i hope they include the lepar and werewolf scenes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    They all float!

Yes, creepy up until the ridiculous monster which spoiled it for me.

Beep Beep, Richie. :eek: :eek:

Wouldn't mind someone doing the Tommy Knockers again. It was my first King book and the mini series captured a lot of the psychological stuff but the 2nd part morphed into a second rate zombie flick in the end.
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    I'm scared of clowns :( but I've been thinking of trying to tackle it by watching this movie.

Gawd I was in the Pasaje Del Terror in Blackpool (walk through with live actors) and a big scary clown jumped out - stuck my head in my friends hood who was in front of me, screaming "I hate clowns, get me out of here ahhh" then he pounces over to me and chuckles in my face .. so creepy :(
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks the IT film from the 80s/90s is awful and not remotely scary?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original mini series was saved by Tim Curry, sadly though Pennywise still wasn't that scary.

I totally forgot about the 'bonding' between the kids in the book. That was very strange & totally unneeded.

A remake over 2 films would be interesting though. Tim should come back as a scarier Pennywise.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the kid part was quite scary, but then the whole robot thing at the end was laughable.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably in the minority here but I thought the IT mini series was awful. The only person that made it watchable for me was Tim Curry.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    You don't get so many mini-series these days.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original series suffers because IT is clearly not a story suitable for network television and it just came across weak and cheesy. Tim Curry wasn't bad but he didn't really have a lot to work with.

If they're going to do it, they just have to do it properly, to hell with the rating. Except for the kid orgy - that frankly should never have been in the story in the first place.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, the two films will be directed by Cary Fukunaga.

No, I've never heard of him either.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the thread title I thought they were going to make 2 separate movies.

But they mean 2 parts, don't they?