Back To Camelot: Merlin Series 1 discussion thread (beginning Saturday 5th January)

Comments

• Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    :eek: Spoilers in tags Avi, some of us havn't watched it yet ;):p:p

Oops. :o

I did resist saying why Merlin was where he was so that that wouldn't spoil it for everyone. :o
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Oops. :o

I did resist saying why Merlin was where he was so that that wouldn't spoil it for everyone. :o

You do know I was joking don't you? ;):p
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Mike, I think you should add that your post contains a little speculation. As far as I know, the spin off idea is at the moment wishful thinking that might or might not happen with absolutely no guarantee of a 2014 air date (unlikely in my opinion). If all episodes are shown back to back, one per week starting from today, the final episode of series 5 will be shown on 29th March 2014.
    Too late to edit but I think it's not too much of an over step. Besides, that date would be perfect--- IF there are Sequels!

Happy with that bit of hedging? :D Okay, how's this then:

SPECULATION!!! :eek:

TPTB announce the Sequel at the Comic Cons Spring to Mid Summer, casting call beginning in Summer-FAll 2013, from January 2014 to March 30 2014 the writers should have the initial scripts and story line sketched out and the initial stories ready for filming with the initial read through around mid March. Pierrefonds renos would be completed by then, and initial shooting could start in April 2014. The initial block of shows would be done for the 2014 Comic Cons.

And, I'd re-run the last series so that it ends just before Autumn 2014 to rev up interest and assure a good opening night. :p

I know the BBC isn't interested in things like profits, money or ratings but now that MERLIN is in the hands of ... well, HUMANS who are... that's how a free market capitalist would run things. And, there are plenty of those in other parts of the world. :D
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    You do know I was joking don't you? ;):p

I bloody well hope so! :p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    Why, if Uther hated everything magic, did he have a dragon as his emblem?

I wondered that too. A symbol of his domination over all things magic, perhaps? Still doesn't really make sense. I wonder, might this be the first Plot Hole of the series...?
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Too late to edit but I think it's not too much of an over step. Besides, that date would be perfect--- IF there are Sequels!

Happy with that bit of hedging? :D Okay, how's this then:

SPECULATION!!! :eek:

TPTB announce the Sequel at the Comic Cons Spring to Mid Summer, casting call beginning in Summer-FAll 2013, from January 2014 to March 30 2014 the writers should have the initial scripts and story line sketched out and the initial stories ready for filming with the initial read through around mid March. Pierrefonds renos would be completed by then, and initial shooting could start in April 2014. The initial block of shows would be done for the 2014 Comic Cons.

And, I'd re-run the last series so that it ends just before Autumn 2014 to rev up interest and assure a good opening night. :p

I know the BBC isn't interested in things like profits, money or ratings but now that MERLIN is in the hands of ... well, HUMANS who are... that's how a free market capitalist would run things. And, there are plenty of those in other parts of the world. :D

Yes, that would do it!
    That sounds like a great plan to me, as long as the writers are very good, the overall tone doesn't change too much (although a bit happier would be nice) and 50% ish of the main characters who were left standing should be there, after all it's more Merlin we want :D
    I know that it's not technically a spin off if everyone is the same but I'm finding it hard to let go, ok? :o
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    All ready! It feels like I'm going back to 2008
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leandra5 wrote: »
    I wondered that too. A symbol of his domination over all things magic, perhaps? Still doesn't really make sense. I wonder, might this be the first Plot Hole of the series...?

It's an emblem which pops up throughout several fantasy worlds and I generally take it mean strength and power. Although in some cases it can also mean honour and magical ability.
    In other cases, I think they use it because it looks pretty. Of course, it is a suitable emblem for the Pendragons. Cadiva (I'm thinking you'll know this), where did that name come from? Is it a coincidence that Pen is the Welsh for head? Was it once Penddraig?
    Forum Member
    Ah it was such a different show back then :) Colin looks so much younger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    Always a possibility! :D

Right, here's a list of previous suggestions plus a few more I've added - I suggest that for the Bingo, people pick any 16 at random and either cross them off or combine them with the drinking game - or you can make up your own Bingo card! :D

(In spoilers as the list is long!)
    1. The Dragon lies to Merlin
    2. Someone talks about the great kingdom Merlin and Arthur will build/says Arthur will create Albion
    3. The guards fail at guarding
    4. Merlin accidentally discovers someone using magic
    5. Merlin asks the dragon for advice but then ignores him
    6. Gaius tells Merlin not to do something but Merlin does it anyway
    7. Gaius says "soss-ery"
    8. Uther says "It is/must be sorcery/magic"
    9. Uther says sorcerers can't be trusted/they all want to destroy the kingdom
    10. Uther or Arthur have a different crown to the last one they wore
    11. Arthur calls Merlin an idiot or incompetent/the worst servant
    12. Merlin calls Arthur arrogant or conceited
    13. Arthur throws something at or hits Merlin
    14. Arthur is knocked out or otherwise rendered unconscious so that Merlin can do magic
    15. They make camp
    16. There is shirtlessness
    17. Every time Merlin uses magic to save Arthur
    18. Every time Merlin uses magic but Arthur doesn't notice
    19. Every time Gaius, mislead, tells a half-truth, or lies
    20. Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he just does it with a bit of a fuss but little persuasion
    21. Morgana gets to wear more than one dress an episode
    22. Gwen or Morgana scoff at the idea of liking Arthur
    23. Gwen is accused of sorcery
    24. Morgana verbal bitch slaps Uther for his tyrannical ways
    25. Gwen flirts with Merlin and he doesn't notice
    26. Gaius gives someone a sleeping potion
    27. Inappropriate flirting
    28. Everything back to the same as it was at the start
    29. Someone lying down/ill
    30. A falling object crushes an enemy
    31. A stranger arrives in Camelot
    32. A ridiculous amount of food is served per person
    33. Magic sends someone flying through the air

Great list - rewatching ep 1 is going to be bittersweet, but some of these really made me laugh.

Surely this one ought to count double, given the torrent of salty tears the finale is responsible for on both sides of the ocean: "Someone talks about the great kingdom Merlin and Arthur will build/says Arthur will create Albion".

Also, we might need to add this one to the list:

*Every time a female character turns out to be either a victim or perpetrator of dangerous enchantments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Greetings, I an new to DS but would love to join in the Merlin series 1 discussion.

I was pursuing your thread this morning, and had intended only to lurk, but when I began to read the posts and found myself calling out at the screen ..... "Clotpole was first used in Series 2 - The Curse of Cornelius Sigan" - in the stables" I realised that I really did want to speak out.

So I signed up to DS, got accepted and have prepared a New Zealand sauvignon blanc for the drinking game. .... Cheers
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgana is such a pushover:D:eek:
    Forum Member
    "The more brutal you are the more enemies you will create" - The words of Morgana right from the off :D
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Gwen from Torchwood:eek:
    Forum Member
    I forgot Gwen had a crush on Merlin at the start :D
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,469
    Forum Member
    <idiot>But "Gwen" should be white! Wah wah wah...</idiot>

Really odd watching this again
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Yes, that would do it!
    That sounds like a great plan to me, as long as the writers are very good, the overall tone doesn't change too much (although a bit happier would be nice) and 50% ish of the main characters who were left standing should be there, after all it's more Merlin we want :D
    I know that it's not technically a spin off if everyone is the same but I'm finding it hard to let go, ok? :o
    Can't comment... Smint's game had me at my limit once the Great Dragon showed...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Do we actually know they are going to show all 5 series or are we just hoping that they will?
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm officially sad - I've just written out both lists by hand (Bingo and drinking) ahead of tonight!
    And the bottle of Absolut is ready and waiting!!
    I love Absolut, especially the raspberry one. :D Can't drink this week but next week I will be.

And I've got my bingo list ready too. Here's what I got (in spoilers for length):
    3. The guards fail at guarding
    4. Merlin accidentally discovers someone using magic
    6. Gaius tells Merlin not to do something but Merlin does it anyway
    8. Uther says "It is/must be sorcery/magic"
    9. Uther says sorcerers can't be trusted/they all want to destroy the kingdom
    10. Uther or Arthur have a different crown to the last one they wore
    11. Arthur calls Merlin an idiot or incompetent/the worst servant
    13. Arthur throws something at or hits Merlin
    14. Arthur is knocked out or otherwise rendered unconscious so that Merlin can do magic
    20. Morgana tells Arthur to do something and he just does it with a bit of a fuss but little persuasion
    21. Morgana gets to wear more than one dress an episode
    22. Gwen or Morgana scoff at the idea of liking Arthur
    24. Morgana verbal bitch slaps Uther for his tyrannical ways
    25. Gwen flirts with Merlin and he doesn't notice
    31. A stranger arrives in Camelot
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I am happy to do the tally for the episodes and keep a record - I have a spreadsheet and everything. There can be graphs! (I am a tech girl) :D
    Well we'll leave that to you then. Can the graph have pretty colours? :)
    Do we actually know they are going to show all 5 series or are we just hoping that they will?
    No we don't know. I very much doubt that they'll do all five. It'll almost certainly be all of series 1, and if we're lucky series 2 as well. I'd be surprised if it continues uninterrupted beyond that, although they may well show them all eventually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Can't comment... Smint's game had me at my limit once the Great Dragon showed...
    Didn't anyone read my health warning?!? :rolleyes: I told you Smint's game is bingo, you're not supposed drink to it, just cross them off. If you've gone and drunk yourself comatose then it's your own fault. :p
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soo who's here then? Natarhi!

Merlin looks so cute and young in the Dragon's Call :o:o I've never really appreciated it before, but he's got really nice hair.

I have missed nice Morgana. She used to be so lovely. :(

Does anyone else find the tent scene really scary :eek: I normally have to close my eyes because it really creeps me out, but I kept them open this time :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    [/SPOILER]
    And one comment from me:
    Why, if Uther hated everything magic, did he have a dragon as his emblem?
    [/QUOTE]

Perhaps to show off and / or remind people that he had defeated them all.
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Didn't anyone read my health warning?!? :rolleyes: I told you Smint's game is bingo, you're not supposed drink to it, just cross them off. If you've gone and drunk yourself comatose then it's your own fault.

You'l be pleased to know that I A did not drink and B didn't play bingo because I didn't watch it.
    I had to hold back a laugh when the Dragon says 'the fate of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young boy'. Holding back a laugh while saying well that kingdom's doomed
    Soo who's here then? Natarhi!

Merlin looks so cute and young in the Dragon's Call :o:o I've never really appreciated it before, but he's got really nice hair.

I have missed nice Morgana. She used to be so lovely. :(

Does anyone else find the tent scene really scary :eek: I normally have to close my eyes because it really creeps me out, but I kept them open this time :o

I miss nice Morgana so much :cry::cry:

Merlin is very cute isn't he and Gwen too. I LOVE series 1 :D

My favourite part is the end. ''You will be rewarded. This merits something quite special. You will be Prince Arthur's man servant.'' Wow!! what a reward :p
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well watching that episode has reminded me why I used to love this show and how well it was written back then. The producers like to be down on series 1 but I love the tone of it - the mixture of adventure and drama - and they were doing some really good character stuff. It was exciting and fun to watch. By series 5 however it was just bloody miserable the ENTIRE time. Watching this, I definitely think the show got too serious and lost sight of the type of story it was. I don't want the fart jokes back but a bit of balance would be nice.

So, I'm going to have to just get out the way now...

*sigh* See how this started with great hope and a great premise? How we were going to go on a great adventure and there'd ups and downs and drama but we knew it would come right in the end (even if we knew it couldn't last)? *sigh* Why did they ruin it? It really does make me sad to think how they smashed through all of this great set up with horrible plotting and characterisation. But I'm going to resist wailing 'why?!' after every point I make, forget some of the poor decisions from later on exist and enjoy this for what it is. (Assume though that I'm ranting inside about how they mangled the four main characters so horribly by the end).

Anyway...

- I love the opening of Merlin walking to Camelot with Kilgharrah's voice over. It really built up the legendary figure that this gangly young man would be and fit perfectly with the 'before they were famous' principle. Also I forgot that we didn't know KIlgharrah's name back then when you see him as 'Great Dragon' in the credits.

- That first shot of Camelot does look great, Pierrefonds was PERFECT. It also juxtaposes greatly with Merlin going 'wow, this Camelot place is awesome!' and then immediately coming across an execution.

- We get the perfect intro to Uther - he's executing someone for having magic. We find out that the guy didn't hurt anyone, he didn't do anything bad, he just used magic. Uther really was a fabulous antagonist - he wasn't two dimensional as a villain but at the same time he was an all powerful genocide loving tyrant who was putting the life of our hero in danger because we knew he'd kill Merlin if he found out. We see Mary Collins telling Uther he's the evil of the land with his hatred and ignorance and that's pretty much how we're supposed to view him. That's the set up. The keeping the magic secret thing worked perfectly and made absolute sense whilst he remained in power.

- A perfect intro to Morgana too. The first time we see her she's watching the execution and is clearly upset. The first time we hear her talking she does what she does best - stands up for what she believes is right and shows great compassion. She openly argues with him and it seems she's the only person in Camelot who dares to actually speak out against Uther's ways. It's pretty clear that Uther wasn't meant to be her father in this series so the fact he puts up with her back chat is interesting. He clearly valued Gorlois highly and, I think, felt some guilt for his death, hence his care for Morgana. Also she's lived in Camelot for a good 10 years by this point so unsurprising he's grown fond of her.

- Morgana's grown up her whole life with magic as illegal so how she's come to the conclusion that Uther is wrong is interesting. It makes you wonder what Gorlois thought about magic. We do know that, like Morgana, he always told Uther exactly what he thought about his actions.

- We see Mary Collins using the teleporting magic that Morgause later uses. in fact there's a MUCH bigger variety of magic in this episode than we see later.

- Nice to see the guards failing at guarding from the start - they let Merlin in and point him off to Gaius without even asking who he is, they fall for Merlin's dice trick like idiots...

- Why the hell is there a giant bunny head mask on Gaius's desk?!

- Why on earth did Hunith send him there? Seriously. She knows he has magic and sends him to the heart of magic hating Camelot to learn about magic. Only he can't be caught doing magic or he'll be killed. Yeah, those reasons weren't ever very sound tbh.

- Merlin slows down time on several occasions in the episode. Again, it's a much bigger variety of magic from him than we're used to later on. There's also loads about the fact that Merlin is special because of his magic - he's elemental, he controls it without learning or spells. Gaius calls him 'the question that has never been asked'.

- We see that magic is everything to Merlin. In his eyes it's that makes him special. And that's important to the premise of the series which is about bringing magic back. It's interesting too that he wants to know that he's not a monster - it's something that Morgana later wonders as well. It must be hard growing up where you're told magic is evil and then you finding out you have it. That's going to make you doubt yourself.

- The idea of Merlin studying and learning more magic was obviously a big part of the early series.

- Like most people I love the shot of Merlin looking out at Camelot and all the possibilities. It's so pretty.

- "There is no room for magic in this kingdom" - said by Uther to Morgana. Remind anyone of anything?

- Arthur was a proper arse, wasn't he? I do love that. And Bradley James looks so young! Obviously Arthur was used to bullying servants and treating them like crap from a young age. I loved this introduction because you could see how much growing Arthur had to do.

- Omg Uther flirting with Lady Helen! He wasn't very subtle, was he?

- "You never cease to amaze me!" - er...? Gaius? You only met Merlin yesterday!

- Gwen's flirting with Merlin was THE most adorable thing of all. Seriously. Could they have not have done more with that? They were lovely together. Actually Gwen was just adorable full stop. She was just so charming.

- Gaius tells Merlin that Uther started the Purge because he decided magic was bringing chaos to the kingdom. We know this is an outright lie. That's what Uther told everyone. But Gaius knows why he really started the Purge.

- Uther imprisoning the dragon is just vindictive, isn't it? He chained him up as a living trophy.

- The start of Merlin and Arthur's friendship is delightful. All of their interactions in this episode are just great. There's a wonderful spark between them even with the antagonism.

- The dragon is mysterious, not very helpful and sinister. Shame they lost the sinister part later since that was probably the most interesting bit, figuring out whether Merlin really should trust this thing or not. And yes, the CGI is noticeably weaker.

- There are noticeably more extras. A lot more in fact. The random serving girl gets lines and a bit of character and there's far more people in Camelot overall.

- Ah the 'God have mercy' line. But no, they never had a thing did they producers? I wish they'd carried on with that relationship. Same as the Merlin and Gwen one. There was PLENTY of time to explore the Arthur x Gwen stuff later (bearing in mind how badly that relationship kept stalling they never needed to rush to it like they did).

- The effect of lady Helen putting everyone to sleep and the cobwebs growing is just beautiful. It's probably one of the most stunning and original pieces of magic the show ever did.

I shall be back later with what I think is the tally count...