Steve and Karen now on TFM from monday!!

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way under what Metro makes then?

Just further justifies a sound business decision by Bauer
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    What was their net profit?

Imagine a large part if that gross profit with few overheads. Sounds like a no brainer to me.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    What was their net profit?

Imagine a large part if that gross profit with few overheads. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

TFM's 2011 net profit before tax was £440k, according to Companies House online.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    TFM's 2011 net profit before tax was £440k, according to Companies House online.

Ok now we're getting somewhere. The company wasn't making losses in 2011 and there's no reason to suggest that things suddenly got worse in 2012.

I've not listened to the entire Night Owls clip. Did Robson specifically say that TFM was making a loss - because if he did that's obviously been proved wrong. Or was he generalising about the wider group or entire radio industry?
  • El CapitanoEl Capitano Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Bauer were running TFM on a shoestring budget so there's no doubt that it was turning in a profit, especially given the amount of local advertising it carried.

A vast broadcast area with a powerful signal on 96.6FM that can be heard loud & clear from Sunderland down to York means that any consortium with a bit of radio nous could make a go of this licence.

The 'Flashing Blade' should get his facts straight before suggesting that the reason for the merger was that TFM was unprofitable. It wasn't. Obviously Bauer can make more money by closing TFM down and relaying Metro on 96.6FM. And that's the real reason why they have done what they've done. All talk about TFM operating at a loss is disingenuous to say the least.
  • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bauer were running TFM on a shoestring budget so there's no doubt that it was turning in a profit, especially given the amount of local advertising it carried.

A vast broadcast area with a powerful signal on 96.6FM that can be heard loud & clear from Sunderland down to York means that any consortium with a bit of radio nous could make a go of this licence.

The 'Flashing Blade' should get his facts straight before suggesting that the reason for the merger was that TFM was unprofitable. It wasn't. Obviously Bauer can make more money by closing TFM down and relaying Metro on 96.6FM. And that's the real reason why they have done what they've done. All talk about TFM operating at a loss is disingenuous to say the least.

I suspect that Alan Robson MBE was just 'towing the party line'. He is employed by Bauer after all ;)
    Forum Member
    I suspect that Alan Robson MBE was just 'towing the party line'. He is employed by Bauer after all ;)

Why mention his MBE? How is that relevant to this debate?
  • 96.6TFM-Sean96.6TFM-Sean Posts: 345
    Forum Member

It's his full title , so why not ?
    Robson doesnt hide it.

It's not relavent to this debate in your opinion and that's what matters. ?
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most people who have been given honours are the kind of people who toe the line, make the right noises, do the right thing, speak at the right time, support the right arguments etc. in this particular instance Robson was doing all of the above even though the facts from Companies House would suggest that he was wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Management will make up anything to support the case for doing something they've already decided to do (...ask me how I know...) so the whole 'running at a loss' line could well be made up without them even caring whether it's particularly credible. It's just something to say at the time of crisis, which will be quickly accepted by most people listening.
    Forum Member

MBE or otherwise, Mr Robson should not be making erroneous statements on air that are not based on fact. He should have desisted from making any comment whatsoever rather than feeding listeners a crass lie.

The fact of the matter here is that Teesside has lost a much cherished and hugely popular radio service to blatant profiteering by its current German owners. Bauer's action is of course entirely legal within the soft touch regulatory framework established by OFCOM but, much like large scale tax avoidance by corporations, it does not make it morally any more palatable.

What should we expect however of a company such as Bauer that is the publisher of glossy tittle-tattle magazines?
    Forum Member
    What should we expect however of a company such as Bauer that is the publisher of glossy tittle-tattle magazines?

I don't think Bauer have ever claimed to be providing a highbrow service, and why should they. Come on, it's a music and entertainment station which - remember - still has locally based news (one of the cornerstones of local commercial radio). It's also running a business, and although TFM was bringing in a profit, it wasn't a huge figure.
    Forum Member
    It's his full title , so why not ?
    Robson doesnt hide it.

It's not relavent to this debate in your opinion and that's what matters. ?

It was a genuine question which has now been answered. I didn't personally think it was relevant. And yes, that's my opinion.
    Forum Member
    I don't think Bauer have ever claimed to be providing a highbrow service, and why should they. Come on, it's a music and entertainment station which - remember - still has locally based news (one of the cornerstones of local commercial radio). It's also running a business, and although TFM was bringing in a profit, it wasn't a huge figure.

Bauer had run down TFM to such an extent that it's surprising advertisers bothered using it anymore. Had they properly invested in quality programming, a much higher profit margin could have been achieved.

If Bauer aren't interested in providing a local radio service to the people of Teesside then they should give the licence up and let a consortium that is interested have a go.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    I'd like to ask the people who are commenting on Teeside losing a much cherished local station a question.

Think about this objectivly but if you listen to tfm today compared to tfm 6 weeks ago, has the amount of local content really changed? I know the presenters have changed but that is not relevant because a station doesb't need to change location in order to change a lineup.

Basically if someone didn't know what had happened at tfm could they hear a difference just by listening?
    Forum Member
    Bauer had run down TFM to such an extent that it's surprising advertisers bothered using it anymore. Had they properly invested in quality programming, a much higher profit margin could have been achieved.

If Bauer aren't interested in providing a local radio service to the people of Teesside then they should give the licence up and let a consortium that is interested have a go.

Why should Bauer consider giving up a licence which they are operating legitimately within the regulations? That's bonkers.

I don't buy your argument of profit margins. TFM were competing in a market also covered by Real and to a lesser extent Star. There's only so much you can hike up the rate card by. There might be some truth in Bauer caring more about Metro (and making it the regional AM hub) but again, that's the harsh reality of business in 2013. On that topic, Robson has a valid point.

I can understand the current anger about the loss of TFM but the reality is that most listeners really won't care six months from now. That's been the case in almost every place where Heart has moved in.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can understand the current anger about the loss of TFM but the reality is that most listeners really won't care six months from now. That's been the case in almost every place where Heart has moved in.

Is that because the people Heart target are apathetic by nature? Most advertisers want to target listeners who are easily led.
  • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MBE or otherwise, Mr Robson should not be making erroneous statements on air that are not based on fact. He should have desisted from making any comment whatsoever rather than feeding listeners a crass lie.

The fact of the matter here is that Teesside has lost a much cherished and hugely popular radio service to blatant profiteering by its current German owners. Bauer's action is of course entirely legal within the soft touch regulatory framework established by OFCOM but, much like large scale tax avoidance by corporations, it does not make it morally any more palatable.

As the presenter of Nightowls Alan Robson MBE is expected to talk live on air to people who ring in.

In the case of the caller regarding this subject what was Alan Robson MBE supposed to do? Refuse to take the call, refuse to discuss the subject or, shock horror, cut the caller off.

It is quite possible that the management at Metro would have anticipated calls of this nature and probably issued direction to the presenter regarding what is acceptable to say on air.

Of course It is equally possible that Alan Robson MBE was just ad libbing his way through it :)

Disclaimer. Parts of this post may or may not be considered relevant to this debate.
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Is that because the people Heart target are apathetic by nature? Most advertisers want to target listeners who are easily led.

Blimey, you are brave making statements like that.

According to most posters in this forum, heart is the best radio station that has ever broadcast.

If, like me, you don't happen to agree with that, expect the insults to come from all sides.
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ho do you know this? Can you please provide the extensive research you have carried out in the area?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    ledders wrote: »
    Ho do you know this? Can you please provide the extensive research you have carried out in the area?
    Giving him a taste of his own medicine :D
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »

I really don't know. But remember that these were the same listeners being targeted previously by your beloved heritage ILR stations.
    Forum Member
    ledders wrote: »

No because I haven't carried out my own extensive research. But in many places Heart has equalled or beaten the previous RAJAR figures - give or take a few percentage points. And believe me, the groups have certainly conducted enough research to back up that stance. It's not publicly available, as you already knew. But that was only to try and wind me up, right?
  • radio ladradio lad Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    What makes me laugh is (and i have heard him say it twice) Alan saying we have kept on 2 presenters , Tim Litchfield and MYSELF ! what ? does he really think Teessiders are so stupid, it's an insult, even the most gullible must know Alan works for Metro :D
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    How do we know that the areas now dominated by Heart don't have people who still miss and remember the former stations which at least years ago were much more of an asset to their communities, I certainly remember MFM in this way and won't be forgetting it.

The listener figure argument seems convincing until you realise that what they have done in many areas is create a monopoly, with no choice in many areas for your local pop music station, casual listeners don't have much more than Heart to choose from, it's not necessarily something that you can interpret as a vote of confidence in the station, it's more that they've muscled everybody else out by buying up all the local and also all the surrounding stations.
    Is Heart's RAJAR good in Milton Keynes where you can find almost nothing other than Heart outside the BBC? I bet it is!

It'll be the same story with TFM & Metro, the competitors don't directly replace what TFM offered so people's default choice remains the same, although they won't be positive about what's happened, at best they'll be apathetic.