Options

David Wicks: I'm sorry but this has to be said...

Comments

• Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    Michael French as David Wicks is brilliant, the scene with Ian in Pauline's old house and how everything was 'Brown' was brilliantly written and performed, he has integrated so well into today's EastEnders whilst being a brilliant link to the past with his links and mentions of Pat, Pauline, Arthur and Frank.
  • Options
    ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but now, what a crap return this is, overall bombed return. Can't stand him and zone out when he's on screen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    David's return has been great, and yes, he really did show up the vast majority of the cast tonight.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving David, but he is out of his depth with Carl.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think David can handle Carl...
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Michael is the best actor in soap. He just owns the screen when he is on it. EE really need to lock him down on a 10 year deal or something!
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Why are you sorry?

This :D

It's a valid comment, and lots of people agree with it.
  • Options
    mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,770
    Forum Member
    Isn't he just fantastic. Superb actor and gorgeous with it.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Michael French as David Wicks is brilliant, the scene with Ian in Pauline's old house and how everything was 'Brown' was brilliantly written and performed, he has integrated so well into today's EastEnders whilst being a brilliant link to the past with his links and mentions of Pat, Pauline, Arthur and Frank.

This is what they needed to do with Sharon, but they failed to do that.
  • Options
    sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you think what a totally different character he played in Casualty/Holby it shows what a good actor he is, manages to look different as well....loved him tonight :)
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE always rocks when the boys start kicking off. It needs that edge.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    This is what they needed to do with Sharon, but they failed to do that.

This, way i see it though. David has better connection to the show right now through family and old friends. Sharon does not.

her return was always going to be awkward, bring her back because she was a Watts was no excuse.

With David you can see he works well with Bianca, Carol and family ( So Michael, Lindsey, and Patsty still all work well together. Then him and Charlie (janine) also work well, he even works well with the likes of Adam and mist def Stevem if they have scenes together.

Where as Sharon apart from Ian it seems to be lets hook her up with some bloke, till we can try and get her back with Phil. Gets tedious tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I agree with everyone who has said his return been great. He's making Eastenders worth watching.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    More to the point, David is a much better character than Sharon and Michael French is a much better actor than Letitia Dean. David/Michael has charisma and humour, Sharon/Letitia has none of that.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair to letitia ive enjoyed her scenes with david
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has David and Phil had a scene yet?
    I may have missed that ep as I was on holiday?
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,306
    Forum Member
    I think his acting in some scenes have been a bit iffy, the character does come across as being a bit cartoonish at times and sometimes I think he has behaved a bit out of character.

That being said, I think Davids return is the best thing that has happened in a long time. He is a bit of a fox which helps. But the main thing is, David such an integral part to the show and it did feel like his story was not over.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully he'll be the one to put wannabe gangster Carl in his place!
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Hope he's signed up for at least a year. Forget Ronnie, David needs to be kept at all costs.

Absolutely agree. Whereas Ronnie's return was completely ridiculous and is based on everyone forgetting she kidnapped a child, David's just seems so effortless. Instead of trying to pair him up with characters he has no reason to be with (ahem, Sharon), he's shining because of his history, with Carol, Bianca and Ian. This is good writing! It is why I wanted to see David return. There was a hell of a lot they could do with him. They really, really should be making sure Michael French is sticking around.
    Sorry but now, what a crap return this is, overall bombed return. Can't stand him and zone out when he's on screen.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all, but what would you rather? Drunk Lauren waving her arms about? The continued decimation of Sharon? Whitney/Kat scanking about? David Witts trying to act? Classic Newman stuff, in other words... hell, at least David's storyline is interesting to watch and not just about bloody affairs etc. If you zoned out his scenes today, you were left with kids overload in Pat's and 1 good scene with Max and Carol, plus bratty Brannings. Hmm... must have been a poor one for you!
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    He always was great. He is a breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    A great character played by a fantastic actor. I'm absolutely loving his return :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Joey is played by David Wicks isn't it?
  • Options
    KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Michael French...always loved him in EE in the past. But him alone is not enough to make me want to watch again.
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    i thought this thread was about David Witts on first read
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Im appreciating him more this time round than back in the 90s - good acting, good scripting, believable (though surviving with no job or money is going a bit far now!) - the character has a rich history/back story on & off screen - best return of a cast member on EE since Dot returned in 97! Please don't spoil/ruin him now!

I'd like to see him back on he car lot, and maybe eventually in a bachelor flat on the Square

Reminds me of the original/early Den Watts atm