Options

Football Commentators Thread (merged)

Comments

• Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One guy mentioned SKy have signed Tyler's replacement but he cant work until after 2006 World Cup, I hope its Clive Tyldsley at ITV. He is top class.

Sadly for you, it's not.

They've signed a BBC commentator...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    My favourite Barry Davies quote is when (IIRC) Dennis Bergkamp scored for Holland in the Euro 96 finals:

The future's bright, the future's orange!

(Holland were playing in their home colours and the phrase was a advertising slogan by, er, Orange Telecoms)

Barry Davies was my favourite commentator although Jon Champion (where is he now?) came a close second as he did his research on the local area and funnily placed into his pre-match instroduction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Could be Guy Mowbray from the BBC, he used to commentate on local radio up here in the north east on sunderland game. Went to ITV when they got the premiership and now works for the BBC, think he commentates for Match of the Day 2.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Tyler is a Southampton fan. He certainly lives there and sounded very despondent when so'ton lost on saturday. Howay the lads!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    The big clue is that he may support Derby County, less people do that than commentate for the BBc.
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    gsepede wrote:
    Jon Champion (where is he now?)
    Commentating for the Premier League internationally via TWI, he was with Andy Townsend the other day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky have decided to release some of the work load of Tyler by brining Darke in for a few games. Tyler will do the Sunday matches and it would seem Darke is doing Saturdays.
    That would make sense, since Martin was commentating everyday it seems, Saturday, Sunday and then covering the game on Monday night too.
  • Options
    MackemsafcMackemsafc Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guy Mowbray For Skysports. Come on Sky get a new refreshing and simply brilliant commentator in to cover live Sky games.
  • Options
    celestialcelestial Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Tyldsley is Man U through and through. You can hear it in all the commentaries he does for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Martin Tyler very pro Arsenal, Alan Parry very pro Liverpool, what we need is Steve Bower & Paddy Crerand from MUTV on Sky, they are great, Paddy can always be heard cheering when Utd score!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    RVN10 wrote:
    Martin Tyler very pro Arsenal, Alan Parry very pro Liverpool, what we need is Steve Bower & Paddy Crerand from MUTV on Sky, they are great, Paddy can always be heard cheering when Utd score!

Bit different being pro Man U on MUTV than being pro-Arsenal or whoever on Sky TV where they should be neutral though. You expect the commentators to be be biased to Man U on their own channel, and I assume only Man U fans susbcribe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Bit different being pro Man U on MUTV than being pro-Arsenal or whoever on Sky TV where they should be neutral though. You expect the commentators to be be biased to Man U on their own channel, and I assume only Man U fans susbcribe!

It was a joke, and by the way there is no such team as "Man U"
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Tyler is a Woking fan (like myself). I see the old oh the media are anti man u/anti arsenal/anti chelsea arguements starting up again people just have huge chips on their shoulders the man u/arsenal fans are the worst listen to any phone in.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Tyler is a Woking fan (like myself). I see the old oh the media are anti man u/anti arsenal/anti chelsea arguements starting up again people just have huge chips on their shoulders the man u/arsenal fans are the worst listen to any phone in.

Although he lives in Southampton. :)
  • Options
    LankyLanky Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    bren b wrote:
    ,tyler is probably the number 1 in the country,years and years ago did he used to be on granada reports?

At one stage of his career Martin Tyler used to co-present Kick-Off with Elton Welsby. This was Granada's Friday teatime football preview programme, which I remember as being quite good and a "must see" for footie fans in the North West.

Over the weekend Granada's footie highlights coverage was presented by Elton Welsby with Martin Tyler commentating on the main match. Previously Gerald Sinstadt had been Granada's main commentator and Martin Tyler had filled a similar role at Yorkshire TV.
  • Options
    walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check out this link, I think there's a clue here as the son of one BBC Commentator is listed as being a famous Derby county fan!

http://www.derby.org/jeff/derby/derbyfan.html
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWI generaly borrow whatever comentators they can. Sky have always agreed to let their comentators cover the 3pm games for both TWI and their own highlights shows.

It's also why especialy on the 5:15 kick offs you also get ITV's comentators, i mean they don't get much work these days.

Ian Darke has been around for ages and has been concentrating on boxing more recently. though i'll never forget that day he was going on about degrees and a-levels in comentry with andy gray some 10 years ago and the the hole sky crew where strugling very badly not to crack up. very funny stuff.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    It's more likely to be Mike Ingham rather than Motty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I have really enjoyed the Tyler/Gray partnership for many years, especially over the Xmas period. They have a great on screen relationship and seem to genuinely like one another.

Mr Darke I had not heard at all (dont watch boxing) until the other weekend. It was a bit of a shock NOT to have Martin on..

From the old days Gerald Sinstadt was always my fav.. Motty was always part school boy, part pub bore. Not someone you wanted to get stuck with in a lift. I liked Barry Davies because he always gave the impression of being above the mundane comment.

As for Clive Tyldelsyssley (or however you spell it) well, second best would be kind...

What about Archie McPherson? (he has a new book out on the life of Jock Stein)...although *cough* folk in Scotland may have a, ermm *cough*, different view!

Whats TWI?
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    TWI = Transworld International
  • Options
    Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lanky wrote:
    Martin Tyler had filled a similar role at Yorkshire TV.

That's right if my memory serves me Martin Tyler was commentating for Yorkshire tv at Bradford when that awful fire broke out.
  • Options
    walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mromega wrote:
    It's more likely to be Mike Ingham rather than Motty.

Why's that then?
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,568
    Forum Member
    Martin Tyler is commentating on tonight's Prem Plus match (WBA v Man City). I Don't remember him commentating on Prem Plus before.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know who's doing Arsenal/Newcastle tomorrow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well Ian Darke covered Southampton v Liverpool today for TWI.
This discussion has been closed.