Rumour EG & CVG: Sony set to unveil virtual reality on PlayStation 4

wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
Forum Member
✭✭
This could potentially be pretty big news in relation to the next-generation of home consoles: a Sony Oculus Rift. Of course costing will be a huge factor and we could be far away from a launch date but it seems Virtual Reality could be a big feature in the coming years.
Sony plans to enter the virtual reality gaming space in a big way with PlayStation 4, Eurogamer can reveal.
Multiple sources have indicated to Eurogamer that Sony's VR headset will work similarly to Oculus'. Internally, the device has been demonstrated with Evolution Studios' PS4 racer DriveClub, with players able to look around the cockpit of a car.
Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida declined to comment on the matter at Gamescom, and said: “We don’t talk about that,” and wouldn’t comment further.

Eurogamer
Sony is preparing to reveal the final piece of its PS4 hardware strategy at TGS by showcasing a PlayStation-branded virtual reality head-mounted display, CVG has learned.
It originally intended to reveal the Sony device at Gamescom but plans fell through at the eleventh hour.

CVG

Comments

• AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, game on. Oculus need to get their consumer kit out soon.

It'll be interesting to see what - if any - significant tech differences there will be between the two.
    I can imagine a few areas in which Sony could have an advantage, Oculus are limited by having to source a suitable display from the market (1080p LCD planned), Sony have access to OLED, and I wonder if they could nail the very-slightly-less-than-wraparound field of view you get with an Oculus. A curved OLED display rather than a flat screen, could make it perfect.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    Yeah, game on. Oculus need to get their consumer kit out soon.

It'll be interesting to see what - if any - significant tech differences there will be between the two.
    I can imagine a few areas in which Sony could have an advantage, Oculus are limited by having to source a suitable display from the market (1080p LCD planned), Sony have access to OLED, and I wonder if they could nail the very-slightly-less-than-wraparound field of view you get with an Oculus. A curved OLED display rather than a flat screen, could make it perfect.

As you say both companies have strengths and there have been industry rumours in the last few months suggesting Sony and Oculus are seeking a partnership.

That would be bigger news in my opinion rather than Sony creating their own technology saving Sony a large amount in money in R&D. Also with Oculus stating their tech is only for PC for now it could be a beneficial partnership especially if Sony get some sort of 'golden-handcuff' deal and make it a home console exclusive on Sony systems. Obviously the downside would mean that Sony/Oculus would have little to no competition.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    They won't need to create a partnership with occulous all they would need to do is combine the tech of a hmd and sixaxis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've already done a HMD that's wireless, a VR headset without a cable would be fantastic... but expensive. Roll on TGS, I want to see what they're thinking!
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a go on an Oculus at a computer store in Oxford.
    Ive tried a few head mounted displays..., all of them were rubbish.
    This thing though....wow..talk about being inside a game!. They had half life 2 on it and it felt you were IN the game. really jaw dropping. The image was slightly "gauzy"...because it just 800 res, but soon they have a 1024 version coming out.
    This thing is on my shopping list for sure and if sony can make theirs as good...well...spoiled for choice :)
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Read PSU forums last night, the Sony VR set may launch with a £1000 price tag!!
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Now all we need is rockstar to launch a hmd and move compatible version of manhunt and we will have a game so frightening it actually induces ptsd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read PSU forums last night, the Sony VR set may launch with a £1000 price tag!!

I can believe it, they have a few previous 3D (not VR) headsets that have been that and more, and a wireless one recently - if this thing is wireless and at least as good as the Oculus it could just about justify that price - especially if the Oculus is also supported, so there are other options to get on the VR ladder....