Options

Dan Cruickshank: Adventures in Achitechture

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone catch it last night? Great to have the show back on.

Very informative.

Comments

• Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did. :)

I enjoy Dan Cruickshank's programmes. He is indeed very informative... and enthusiastic in his portrayals.

Dan never seems to look any different over the years. I keep thinking he must be quite an age now but he doesn't seem to age. Funny that.

What did you think of the Indian temple? :eek: LOL. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I find it a bit hard to warm to him, I watch his shows because of the content - but his presenting style leaves me cold.

The temple was great, the way he tried to describe the images in a highbrow sort of way - it was a woman and a dog for gawds sake :eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I must have missed the bit about the dog. :eek: Don't remember it. Maybe I was looking elsewhere. :D

Thought the Catherine Palace was stunning. At the same time a little odd that the Russians are taking such pride in restoring it now.
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this show, but then I would watch any thing fronted by Dan Cruickshank. He is the MAN:)
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Hells teeth nice to see someone else on DS actually watches this stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, indeedy. :)

Thought I'd post a pic of the Chinese Leshan Buddha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Leshan_Buddha_Statue_View.JPG

Stunning piece of architecture.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I find Dan a hugely likeable man and only wish I'd had teachers like him at school.

Everything he does is excellent and I've been in awe of him ever since I first saw him, years ago, squeeze down a filthy, wet hole in the ground to explore the wartime cellar beneath.

Imagine Bamber Gasgoine or Brian Sewell doing that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Dan a hugely likeable man and only wish I'd had teachers like him at school.

Everything he does is excellent and I've been in awe of him ever since I first saw him, years ago, squeeze down a filthy, wet hole in the ground to explore the wartime cellar beneath.

Imagine Bamber Gasgoine or Brian Sewell doing that!

yeah, he represents what education used to be before the 'ohp and bullet point' landed.

brian sewell would be interesting too

a refreshing approach to a topic - the examples couldn't have been much more varied, they would not normally appear together on any programme so it is a welcome sign of the times to see higher level concepts being brought out from the mundane/material world and considered in relation to their unifying impact on humanity.

not looking forwward to the :eek:bad:eek: buildings!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    It was wonderful. Dan Cruickshank is a god amongst men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wappaho wrote: »

brian sewell would be interesting too

I find his voice and delivery very irritating and it takes too much effort to concentrate and filter out the actual content. About half of what he says is also irritating.

Basically that's a no thanks to Brian Sewell :)
  • Options
    thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I can't find it on iPlayer.

>_<
    nethwen wrote: »

Dan never seems to look any different over the years. I keep thinking he must be quite an age now but he doesn't seem to age. Funny that.

He was born in 1949, so he's not that old :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    For some reason I can't find it on iPlayer.

>_<

He was born in 1949, so he's not that old :eek:
    Still, I wouldn't say he looks nearly 60!

I missed the show unfortunately but always enjoy Dan's shows. Around the World in 80 Treasures was particularly good.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I can't find it on iPlayer...
    It's up there now.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello, nobody got anything to say about the Architecture of Death, the Ossuary, nothing.

Come on there must be at least 2 of us watching.
  • Options
    andymcvandymcv Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Depressing but I suppose death is.

Dead people getting burned by the river. Dead people
    being buried for ten years. They then dig them up and put another in.

Why not just get cremated it would be much easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I skipped last weeks show due to the "theme", but will be sure to catch it this week.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny how Cruickshank has to touch everything he goes past including random animals in the street. Like a kid in the candy store :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Yes, I did. :)

I enjoy Dan Cruickshank's programmes. He is indeed very informative... and enthusiastic in his portrayals.

What did you think of the Indian temple? :eek: LOL. :D
    Dan Crucikshank was one of the original protesters who campaigned to save Georgian Spitalfields from wholesale redevelopment in the 1970s. I remember he showed a picture of himself once as a young activist with thick dark hair so actually he has changed.:p But I think his boyish enthusiasm and a certain innocence makes him appear ageless in a way that some of his contemporaries, worn down with cynicism lack.
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I skipped last weeks show due to the "theme", but will be sure to catch it this week.

yes there definitely were some strange architecture in relation to Death in particular.
  • Options
    andymcvandymcv Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Will any of the series show British architecture?

I suppose he quite enjoys flying around the world with the BBC paying.

Just like Monty Don's idea to fly round the world looking at gardens.
  • Options
    WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    Hello, nobody got anything to say about the Architecture of Death, the Ossuary, nothing.

Come on there must be at least 2 of us watching.

Yes, I did and it was fascinating. I hadn't even realised this series was on until I noticed it on iPlayer, watched it and was immediately hooked. I love Dan's style, he has the gift of being erudite, but never talking down to the viewer. As I'd missed the first two programmes, I went out and bought the book to see what I'd missed.
    andymcv wrote: »
    Depressing but I suppose death is.

Dead people getting burned by the river. Dead people
    being buried for ten years. They then dig them up and put another in.
    Why not just get cremated it would be much easier.

That's what cremation is - getting burned after death - in the local crem, by the Ganges in India - wherever. ;) Happens to us all in the end, and I thought the ossuary in the Czech Republic, and the cemetery in Genoa were truly amazing places.
    mounty wrote: »
    Its funny how Cruickshank has to touch everything he goes past including random animals in the street. Like a kid in the candy store :p

When he touched the cow, he said everyone does it, to get a blessing from an animal Hindus consider sacred.

The most amazing place I've ever been in was The Valley of the Fallen in the Sierra Guaderrama in Spain. Blasted out of a mountain and the size of about 3 football pitches, it was built by POW's in the Spanish Civil War and Franco is buried there. I'm quite surprised it wasn't included in this series, along with another amazing piece of Spanish architecture, El Escorial.

http://www.madrid-guide-spain.com/valle-de-los-caidos.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great episode. Must look great in HD.

Its also great that they can show us places like that monestary in China that most of us won't be able to see.
  • Options
    WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    Just caught the last 10 minutes tonight.

I'll prolly watch it through on Virgin Catch Up or iPlayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going off topic whatever happened to Lucinda Lampton, I remember her being very good at this sort of thing too, can't remember what her program or strand was called though.

I have a vague memory of her 'doing' St Pancras Station/Midland Grand Hotel.
    I'm still miserable that I didn't somehow get to tour that place before they refurbished it.

Oh yes he even got touchy feely with Skulls in the ossuary, if it helps him get into the architecture and the place I don't have a problem.
    Nothing better than seeing a presenter who appears to be genuinely excited and interested.
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loved the Hanging Temple in last night's episode, extraordinary place! Amazing it has been up there for over 1500 year.