Options

Constantly bloated

LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
Forum Member
Over the last few months I have been feeling constantly bloated, its starting to annoy me now, does anyone have this or know what causes there could be. I have no medical conditions.

Its making me feel really uncomfortable now:(

Comments

• Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop eating bread.
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get some aloe Vera
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a damned good trump. Sorry, but it can be trapped wind or constipation. Are you 'going' alright?
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's wheat - when I gave that up, my bloated tummy went down like a punctured balloon - it was quite amazing! (You really must try it - just drop the bread for a while and see how you feel.)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the last few months I have been feeling constantly bloated, its starting to annoy me now, does anyone have this or know what causes there could be. I have no medical conditions.

Acid Reflux/GERD or some sort of similar problem? These things can be treated with daily tablets.

Conversely you could just be eating too much or drinking too much fizzy drink.

At the risk of being obvious have you actually seen your GP? If it's been going on for some time surely you'd seek proper medical advice?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's wheat - when I gave that up, my bloated tummy went down like a punctured balloon - it was quite amazing! (You really must try it - just drop the bread for a while and see how you feel.)

Except it might not be ;-) We're all different
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Reduce portion sizes and eat plenty of fruit and veg. Avoid bread and pasta for a few weeks and drink 2 litres of water a day.

Come back in 2 weeks and let us know how it went
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Acid Reflux/GERD or some sort of similar problem? These things can be treated with daily tablets.

Conversely you could just be eating too much or drinking too much fizzy drink.

At the risk of being obvious have you actually seen your GP? If it's been going on for some time surely you'd seek proper medical advice?

Or something simple like barcarb of soda and apple cider vinegar.. rather than very strong meds. Do that to get your gut back to normal than then go grain free and if you can go sugar free as well.

Also going grain and sugar free will get rid of most pains and niggles, also a lot of debilitating diseases
    like fibro autoimmune diseases like RA etc.

Grains and sugar are our biggest killer and yet its been kept very quiet, but I noticed these days more and and more books and documentaries are coming out. More and more people are informed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Except it might not be ;-) We're all different

Exactly! Nothing gets on my goat more than people who've discovered they are wheat 'intolerant' preaching to others about how they must try it and everything will be ok.
  • Options
    tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make an appointment with your GP. Also try a food diary to see if some things make it worse than others and also add a column for how often you go to empty your bowels. You could try cutting out certain foods for a period then reintroducing them while doing a food diary.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most common food to make you bloated is dairy. You good try a dairy free diet for a few days, you'll soon know if that's the culprit.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Exactly! Nothing gets on my goat more than people who've discovered they are wheat 'intolerant' preaching to others about how they must try it and everything will be ok.

Trouble is a lot of people dont even know until they stop having it. I for one never knew.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you female? If so, you might need scan to see if you have fibroids or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is a lot of people dont even know until they stop having it. I for one never knew.

I would rather go to the GP than guess
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPs aren't great at diagnosing what's causing bloating, as it could be so many things. The advice to do a food diary and cut out wheat or dairy is sound as a starting point.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, have you been to the doctor?

At best it can be - as people have said - too much bread and other flour "stuff" over the festive period or too much sugar or too much (or not enough) of a lot of things like butter and cream. At the other end of the worst case scale, persistent bloating can be a sign of, for eg, ovarian cancer.

It's easy to change your diet for a few days to see whether you notice a difference but if you have not been to the doctor and have had no tests to identify the problem, get thee off to a doctor and discuss. As is often said, you cannot be diagnosed via DS; there'll be well-intentioned and comforting posts but when we don't (truly) know your sex, age, medical history, etc, the only sensible advice to take relating to a persistent problem is to see your GP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    GPs aren't great at diagnosing what's causing bloating, as it could be so many things. The advice to do a food diary and cut out wheat or dairy is sound as a starting point.
    At last, a voice of sense. (Anybody would think we were advocating cutting off your leg, not just suggesting dropping bread or whatever for a while! Jeez......:confused:)
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most people will get bloated more often as they get older, your body isn't able to break down food as easily as when you were young.

It could be bread or high carb foods that's the problem ( crisps, high sugar foods, fizzy drinks etc ) or it might not be. Even too much fruit juice ( the pure kind ) can cause problems.

Either cut out a food group for a week or two to see if things improve or just half your portion sizes.

Occasionally, persistent bloating can be a symptom of a more serious problem such as a few types of cancer but on it's own ( without other symptoms, such as sickness or blood when you visit the tiolet ) it's generally not a serious problem.
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find that peppermint oil capsules work well to disperse wind and reduce bloating, but I only use them occasionally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last, a voice of sense. (Anybody would think we were advocating cutting off your leg, not just suggesting dropping bread or whatever for a while! Jeez......:confused:)

One point I'd make is that bloating is a potential sign of ovarian cancer or Crohn's, so a GP must be consulted. Yes, they're rubbish with Crohns in my experience (and that of others on many message boards I consult over it) but you must at least start with them and ensure they rule both of those out.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With our GPs, unless it's an emergency, you have plenty of time to test if it's dairy or wheat, before you get an appointment.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bloating, diarrhoea and stomach pains were tentatively diagnosed as bowel cancer. A colonoscopy showed nothing wrong. Now assumed to be "IBS" (cause unknown) but I think I have an intermittent reaction to wheat and/or dairy or a yeast infection. Because it's intermittent, it's difficult to pin down. Sodium bicarbonate helps.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

Its making me feel really uncomfortable now
    :(

I have no medical qualifications whatsoever but you have a medical condition.

Seek professional advice sooner rather than later; little value in guessing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bloating, diarrhoea and stomach pains were tentatively diagnosed as bowel cancer. A colonoscopy showed nothing wrong. Now assumed to be "IBS" (cause unknown) but I think I have an intermittent reaction to wheat and/or dairy or a yeast infection. Because it's intermittent, it's difficult to pin down. Sodium bicarbonate helps.
    I had all that - IBS is such an easy get-out clause for GPs, sorry. (Although it was my GP who suggested trying wheat avoidance - she said go for one food type at a time, otherwise you won't know which it is. First time lucky - or unlucky! - for me, thank goodness. Now I know what it is, I can deal with it.)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    tarotangel wrote: »
    Make an appointment with your GP. Also try a food diary to see if some things make it worse than others and also add a column for how often you go to empty your bowels. You could try cutting out certain foods for a period then reintroducing them while doing a food diary.

Spot on and making an appointment to see the GP is the best course of action which might result in tests being undertaken, etc.