Wasps

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
They are back, and this year it's personal!

They remember what you did last year, what you did to that poor innocent God's creature that was doing no harm, just bumbling around your home admiring your furnishings and plasma tv. It was just coming over to say thank you for not harming it in any way, and then......

....They remember.

Comments

• ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Apparently it's only a matter of time before deadly giant asian hornets arrive in the UK.

They've already claimed several victims in France.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate them. If they're outside buzzing past me, I tend to just move aside and let them get on with whatever they're doing. If they get in my home though, they don't leave alive.
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capture the nests, sterilise them, release them
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Capture the nests, sterilise them, release them

Isn't that a bit fiddly and time consuming?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Isn't that a bit fiddly and time consuming?

This is one of the methods of eradicating the species. Killing them is almost futile
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never use the word hate, but when it comes to wasps I hate them with a passion, hearing that horrible noise scares the poop out of me, I feel fully justified in emptying a can of Raid over the thing. But I don't drag it out, as soon as it hits the floor I put it, and me out of our misery. And don't even go there when it comes to hornets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe in insect sprays, they are toxic and pollute your air. (I think any spray will incapacitate an insect btw e.g.air duster spray)

Table tennis bats when they fly towards you. Game over.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got stung by one of the little swines last September, I was walking along and minding my own business, when ouch!

It got infected, then I got cellulitis and ended up at hospital. I've still got it now, all red and it gets sore, I shall avoid the little gits like the plague this year :cry:
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I got stung by one of the little swines last September, I was walking along and minding my own business, when ouch!

It got infected, then I got cellulitis and ended up at hospital. I've still got it now, all red and it gets sore, I shall avoid the little gits like the plague this year :cry:

that was a bad one.........:o

was it like an allergy or is that something that could happen to anyone who gets stung ?

were you just unlucky ?......:o
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Apparently it's only a matter of time before deadly giant asian hornets arrive in the UK.

only because they tried to eat them in baguettes with tartare sauce.
    (the fate of all God's creatures too dumb to escape there)
  • chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »

Someone needs to hurry up and finish off there
    game of jumanji fast before those things end up here
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    that was a bad one.........:o

was it like an allergy or is that something that could happen to anyone who gets stung ?

were you just unlucky ?......:o

I was quite unlucky swing :( The advice for me if I ever get stung again is to go straight to a&e, in case I get an anaphylatic shock after this extreme reaction.
  • J-ZeeJ-Zee Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swear to god I saw the biggest mutant wasp thingy on the pavement that I have ever seen last week. It must have been about 1.5 inches long, I wanted to take a photo of it but my phone is crap and there was no way I was getting close to it.

I hate the blinkin things and the thought of them being that size is keeping me awake at night :o:o:o
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    I never use the word hate, but when it comes to wasps I hate them with a passion, hearing that horrible noise scares the poop out of me, I feel fully justified in emptying a can of Raid over the thing. But I don't drag it out, as soon as it hits the floor I put it, and me out of our misery. And don't even go there when it comes to hornets.
    Fully agree with the use of Raid, best thing I've found to fight them. I was also advised to use Citronella as a deterrent as well. It comes in one of those little bottles where the little comes out in droplets and put it on the edge of an open window/curtain. They apparently can stand the smell and effective too.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These things have no purpose or a place in the food chain. They don't produce anything and serve no purpose. They are just evil little stinging machines who will sting you just for shits and giggles. Out of all Earth's insects I'd say they are number one on the list of pointless annoyances to humans. If I never saw one again and they became extinct I can't say I'd feel sorry for them.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    These things have no purpose or a place in the food chain. They don't produce anything and serve no purpose. They are just evil little stinging machines who will sting you just for shits and giggles. Out of all Earth's insects I'd say they are number one on the list of pointless annoyances to humans. If I never saw one again and they became extinct I can't say I'd feel sorry for them.

I hate and am in fear of them too, but, I think they have a purpose in the 'world'.

Gawd knows what it is, but I am sure they are keeping at bay the critter that if left without the wasp would wipe us out! (Eventually)
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't produce anything and serve no purpose.

Have I wandered into a Joey Essex thread?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    J-Zee wrote: »
    I swear to god I saw the biggest mutant wasp thingy on the pavement that I have ever seen last week. It must have been about 1.5 inches long, I wanted to take a photo of it but my phone is crap and there was no way I was getting close to it.

I hate the blinkin things and the thought of them being that size is keeping me awake at night :o:o:o

could it have been a giant hoverfly?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Volucella+zonaria&rlz=1C1RNPN_enGB407GB408&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DyVTU8jUH47gOJ_lgcAH&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=955&bih=683

they`re enormous.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member

Spare us the hippie granola nonsense thanks. As for those hornets... :o:o:o
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Spare us the hippie granola nonsense thanks. As for those hornets... :o:o:o

Wasps are the best organic way of controling garden pests such as catapillers and greenfly, therefore a gardener's friend.

It's just a pity they can sting you and frighten you half to death...

God forbid giant hornets ever make their way here..
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    They certainly do have a place just as all insects do. Just because they don't produce stuff that humans like to eat like bees do doesn't mean they aren't as important.
    I find them quite fascinating.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw them going into holes in the wall above my kitchen window so assumed they are building a nest in the cavity. I have had to mastic around the frame to seal up all the gaps, that really annoyed them while I was doing it, but they seem to have given up and moved elsewhere.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasps are a vital cog in the environment, and help to keep garden pests down, as do Lady Bugs.

If they get in you home, don't kill it, that's cruel, just open a window, and get the wasp to fly through the opening, and back into the open where they belong. Its what I always do.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Wasps I can deal with. It's flies that I absolutely loathe.