Jonathan Ross to sit in for Steve Wright for a week

Comments

• FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,665
    Forum Member
    I'm finding JR very different, more mellow if you like.
    He's slotted back in so well that I wouldn't be surprised that he gets a few more cover slots over the next year and then maybe he's given a weekly show, possibly a revamp on Sundays where he gets a regular Sunday morning show.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? DS isn't an indication on how popular someone is.Besides I don't see a lack of posts as we are now on the 5th page. Ross is certainly more popular than the other sit ins.

But four and a bit pages were posted before he began the show on Tuesday!

Somewhat contradictory, you say DS isn't an indicator, yet form the opinion that he is more popular than other stand ins by posts here ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    It's interesting listening to him presenting without Andy, he is now talking to the listener rather than at the listener through Andy, so in effect it stops him doing it "stand up comedy style" in my opinion it's really good, I think the best stand in for Steve Wright of late,

Of course he has a lot of radio experience so we shouldn't be so surprised.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,823
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed him, he's playing it with a pretty straight bat, but still injects a little humour along the way and he's a much better interviewer than Wright
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I've enjoyed him, he's playing it with a pretty straight bat, but still injects a little humour along the way and he's a much better interviewer than Wright

He's playing it pretty safe. I think he probably can't believe his luck that he's been allowed back on and so is being extra careful. A bit like Chris Evans when he got given another go on the BBC after his Radio 1 breakfast show shenanigans.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He only comes alive when he is with someone, even the lovely travel lady. He deffo needs a sidekick, the guy he had before was great
  • jakxjakx Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately he has not changed, fell back on his 'old' sexual innuendo earlier this afternoon.

Cringe-worthy comes to mind.

I guess he can't help it, just as he continues to refer to the 'noos' rather than news?

Regarding that, surely he could take a BBC Noos Readers speech therapy course, it might well be some kind of impediment but it grates a lot on Radio 2.

Surely there must be a long queue of perhaps younger hopefuls needing a chance to stand-in for the likes of Steve Wright et al.. many would be willing (I guess) to do it for nothing £'s! :o
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jakx wrote: »
    Unfortunately he has not changed, fell back on his 'old' sexual innuendo earlier this afternoon. o

What did say then as it seems to have offended your so much?
  • cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately he has not changed, fell back on his 'old' sexual innuendo earlier this afternoon.

Cringe-worthy comes to mind.

I guess he can't help it, just as he continues to refer to the 'noos' rather than news?

Regarding that, surely he could take a BBC Noos Readers speech therapy course, it might well be some kind of impediment but it grates a lot on Radio 2.

Surely there must be a long queue of perhaps younger hopefuls needing a chance to stand-in for the likes of Steve Wright et al.. many would be willing (I guess) to do it for nothing £'s! :o

Ive turned R2 off this week, I really struggled to understand Ross
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you ought to get your ears syringed then.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could understand him even John Bishop.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you ought to get your ears syringed then.
    Agreed. He's perfectly clear. Only some sort of blockage would prevent you from hearing him...
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,868
    Forum Member

Presumably you were not a Terry Wogan fan.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry fans it's back to a second sub patrick Kielty.
  • GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Don't worry fans it's back to a second sub patrick Kielty.

Dislike. Listening to Jonathan Ross again made me realise how average Kielty is. Am not a Steve Wright fan at all, find him all too cheesy, but have never really enjoyed any if the other fill-ins over the lat few years, but I thought Ross was excellent, much less juvenile, slicker and far more professional than he has ever been on the Beeb.
  • andy2805andy2805 Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Whenever anyone sits in for SW I always think there seems to be a drop in pace and energy. No criticism of Jonathan Ross tho, whose shows I have enjoyed, especially his interview with the OAP skydiver from Thursdays show!
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Ross was great and it was clear that he was enjoying himself . The shows the last few days were a breath of fresh air . Radio 2 has a great line up from 6 to 7 however out of all of those shows I feel Steve Wrights show is the most dated and tired.
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not heard Fridays yet but will listen over the weekend. I think it's highly unlikely he will return to Saturday mornings but I wouldn't be shocked to hear him pop up on breakfast before the years out.

Hopefully in a week that Jon Holmes is away on Xfm

Steve Wright is a radio legend and the fact that some find it dull is cancelled out by the people that love it. To me - when I can listen - it makes great background radio to me when as this week has been me getting it up on iPlayer
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dislike. Listening to Jonathan Ross again made me realise how average Kielty is. Am not a Steve Wright fan at all, find him all too cheesy, but have never really enjoyed any if the other fill-ins over the lat few years, but I thought Ross was excellent, much less juvenile, slicker and far more professional than he has ever been on the Beeb.

I actually tuned in to Radio 2 at that time of day for the first time in ages ,less chat than usual from JR, enjoyed the music and the show ... will not be tuning in next week for sure .
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing about Ross in for Wright is that the show is much greater than the sum of its parts.
    He's pretty hammy in many ways - dreadful talk-ups, travel news often sounding like it's coming in as a surprise - but the content of the links is just right, and the interviews are first-class. It's proper adult radio, and sympathetic to the traditional easy-listening style of Radio 2, which his Saturday morning show wasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing about Ross in for Wright is that the show is much greater than the sum of its parts.
    He's pretty hammy in many ways - dreadful talk-ups, travel news often sounding like it's coming in as a surprise - but the content of the links is just right, and the interviews are first-class. It's proper adult radio, and sympathetic to the traditional easy-listening style of Radio 2, which his Saturday morning show wasn't.
    But Radio 2 shouldn't just have a traditional easy listening style all the time. Plenty of people in the target age group find that a turn off. I preffered Ross on his Saturday show because he wasn't restricted to the dull playlist like he was sitting in for Steve Wright.
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Radio 2 shouldn't just have a traditional easy listening style all the time. Plenty of people in the target age group find that a turn off. I preffered Ross on his Saturday show because he wasn't restricted to the dull playlist like he was sitting in for Steve Wright.

What I heard of his playlist ,I thought it was very good .

The perception I get from your previous posts ,is that you expect to switch on to Radio 1,Radio 2 and 6 music 24/7 to find new/obscure(to many people ) being played .
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy2805 wrote: »
    Whenever anyone sits in for SW I always think there seems to be a drop in pace and energy. No criticism of Jonathan Ross tho, whose shows I have enjoyed, especially his interview with the OAP skydiver from Thursdays show!
    Agreed that was excellent. I've said many times that one of his greatest strengths is talking to "normal" people. He's great at it, and doesn't have the slight air of sarcasm that Simon Mayo sometimes has.
    It made me laugh when the traffic presenter starting talking about Susan Boyle and he shut her up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I heard of his playlist ,I thought it was very good .

The perception I get from your previous posts ,is that you expect to switch on to Radio 1,Radio 2 and 6 music 24/7 to find new/obscure(to many people ) being played .
    Then that proves you can't read posts properly. But yes all 3 should play some lesser known tracks some times in between the more well known tracks. That is what public broadcasting should be all about. My point isn't just that but the point that 1 poster thinks Radio 2 should be easier listening all the time. Jonathan's Saturday show had a good mix of well known tracks with new tracks much of which wasn't being played anywhere else on the Network. This was being brought to a larger audience through Ross and something that was pointed out some posts back by a link by another poster. I enjoyed Ross sitting in for Steve Wright but I still prefer hearing Ross when he has much more freedom.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,665
    Forum Member
    Jonathan is back Friday 30th & Monday 2nd February looking after things whilst Steve is away:)