Options

Scottish Independence - Things Not Discussed

Comments

• Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Why must the England / Scotland border emulate the Irish one? After all, there are border controls between Ireland and Mainland UK - maybe that's the model for the English / Scottish border?

They're minimal to nil though aren't they? Unless you fly Ryan Air!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »
    HS2 is an expensive white elephant no one wants and I believe it is rumoured to cut about 30 mins off the journey to Birmingham from London at the cost of billions. Hardly seems worth it TBH.
    Surely you don't think its only purpose is to save 30 mins off the journey to Brum? That would indeed be ridiculous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »
    What I want to know is this. At present Scottish MPs can vote at Westminster but Westminster MPs cannot vote in the Scottish parliament. If it is 'Yes' (pleeease) does that mean an end to the Scots coming down here to vote at Westminster?
    Well, of course it does. Why would foreign politicians be allowed to vote at Westminster??!!
    Can England please have free prescriptions and free uni places?
    If enough people campaign for them, why not? It might mean cuts in other services though.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Surely you don't think its only purpose is to save 30 mins off the journey to Brum? That would indeed be ridiculous!

I am afraid those Anti HS2 fanatics don't want to look at all the reason for HS2 to be built.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    I am afraid those Anti HS2 fanatics don't want to look at all the reason for HS2 to be built.
    The reasons being:
    to line the pockets of Tory friends
    to boost the economy in the south east and Birmingham
    to get Scotland to pay for something that is no use to them
    to avoid spending money on parts of the rail network that people might want to use
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If scotland does gain independence would it join the eu if so would why would it join as they would be losing there independence by been part of the eu.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    If scotland does gain independence would it join the eu if so would why would it join as they would be losing there independence by been part of the eu.

Someone on this forum yesterday told me they were voting yes because they wanted to ensure they would be in the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on this forum yesterday told me they were voting yes because they wanted to ensure they would be in the EU.

Being part of the eu not be true independent.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member

HS2 is the biggest white elephant of them all The train time from London to Penzance now takes longer than it did in 1914! Spend a fraction of the HS2 money on improving services for vast areas of the county which have a sub standard service I hope people come out strongly against HS2
    BTW Another good reason to vote Yes Scots don't want to pay for this folly
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

Are Germany, Belgium, Netherlands independent countries..........or are they part of a country called the EU? We're already in the EU as part of the UK.

The independence vote isn't about cutting off all ties with the world (that would be a very extreme interpretation of the word 'independence') and sealing the borders, it's simply about moving more powers to Scotland and existing as an independent country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The reasons being:
    to line the pockets of Tory friends
    to boost the economy in the south east and Birmingham
    to get Scotland to pay for something that is no use to them
    to avoid spending money on parts of the rail network that people might want to use

People do want to use the West Coast mainline, but there is a lack of capacity - that's the main reason for HS2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being part of the eu not be true independent.

Yes. It seems crazy people saying they want to determine want happens to Scotland and that they want to be free, but want to leave the UK to be in the EU. This argument doesn't fully make sense.

On the other hand, the poster yesterday said that he was worried that the UK will pull out of the EU. Hence, he was voting yes to ensure that Scotland remains in the EU. So from that point of view, it does make sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Germany, Belgium, Netherlands independent countries..........or are they part of a country called the EU? We're already in the EU as part of the UK.

The independence vote isn't about cutting off all ties with the world (that would be a very extreme interpretation of the word 'independence') and sealing the borders, it's simply about moving more powers to Scotland and existing as an independent country.

But they will have to obey eu laws.and other EU rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they will have to obey eu laws.and other EU rules.

And Scotland needs to apply to join the EU. So they will have to submit to their demands, and use the Euro.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just shows you how haggis-headed the Yes voters are. They love the EU so much they are willing to withdraw from it and so give 28 other nations a veto over whether they are allowed back in or not.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Just shows you how haggis-headed the Yes voters are. They love the EU so much they are willing to withdraw from it and so give 28 other nations a veto over whether they are allowed back in or not.
    Is this an insult you dreamt up on your very own? What does it mean?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    ...............The reason for this is that Scotland wants to remain a member of the EU...................

Is Scotland a member of the EU? I thought the point was that the UK is a member, and Scotland would be leaving the UK.
    ozark1 wrote: »
    It's been said before - Hadrian's Wall is not the Scottish border.

A well planned invasion, and it could become the border!
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    HS2 is the biggest white elephant of them all The train time from London to Penzance now takes longer than it did in 1914! Spend a fraction of the HS2 money on improving services for vast areas of the county which have a sub standard service I hope people come out strongly against HS2

Somebody who listened to Farage this morning!
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    A question not yet addressed is whether Scotland will join the EBU. The Eurovision Song Contest is a UK entry.

Surely Scotland will give Lulu another chance?

As I type, my county has just won the County Cricket Championship. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

They could benefit eventually if it's extended to Scotland.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A point brought up by Michael Portillo last night on This Week - the yes campaign seems to be about securing a more left wing approach in Scottish government - however it might well be that a left wing Scotltish administration is forced in the other direction by circumstances. Having to build up financial reserves in the absence of a currency union for example could well mean more austerity in the early years of independence. Oil prices being lower than the wildly optimistic forecast of the yes campaign (and they are falling at the moment) meaning less revenue than expected. And that's before we look at membership of the EU and what that would mean in terms of how the Scottish economy might have to be run.

Scotland could easily become another country with a left wing administration forced to implement right wing policies.

It really is a case of 'be careful what you wish for'.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this an insult you dreamt up on your very own? What does it mean?

They have poured out their brains and replaced them with haggis. You can use mealie-pudding headed if you prefer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    A well planned invasion, and it could become the border!

Are you expecting the Scots to invade England? Hadrian's Wall starts near Newcastle and runs to Carlisle.

That said they got as far as Derby last time they invaded (1745) and sacked Carlisle and Preston.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think this has been discussed.
    Mail wrote:

Scotland is poised to reject independence – but only based on the votes of half a million English living north of the border.

Scottish-born voters are evenly split, 48 per cent to 48 per cent, with just six days to go before next week’s historic referendum, according to a poll published last night.

But after the 477,000 voters born in England are taken into account - as well as tens of thousands of Welsh, Northern Irish and foreigners entitled to take part on Thursday - the ‘No’ to independence campaign enjoys a four point lead.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2753400/Revealed-How-half-million-English-voters-living-Scotland-set-block-independence.html#ixzz3D74Ssmdh
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So immigration is responsible for stopping independence, oh the irony considering the SNP's stance on it. :D
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where do you get off saying I am an Anti HS2 fanatic? I was simply explaining it is a white elephant no one wants - and yes there is plenty of evidence on Google before you ask for evidence.

Plenty of people thought the millennium dome was a white elephant too - which it was until O2 got hold of it.