Steptoe and Son on Drama

Comments

• pontypaulpontypaul Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    If there is one B&W show that should be back on TV it has to be Bilko.

Remember watching that late on a Saturday night.... Was indeed seminal! Does anyone in UK hold rights?
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    pontypaul wrote: »
    Was "watching" today, while doing some paperwork, whilst Albert calling French "fr*gs was allowed another word was censored a few times. Can anyone enlighten me what it was? (Not in full, obviously, Just a hint!)

I think it was '****'.

Odd, because that's probably the most used word in the DS Big Brother forum this year.

I was interesting that Harold threatened to build walls & split the house in two in today's episode. Of course he eventually did just that many years later in the classic Divided We Stand.
  • pontypaulpontypaul Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    was interesting that Harold threatened to build walls & split the house in two in today's episode. Of course he eventually did just that many years later in the classic Divided We Stand.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I noticed that too!
  • jamiec21jamiec21 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Was "watching" today, while doing some paperwork, whilst Albert calling French "fr*gs was allowed another word was censored a few times. Can anyone enlighten me what it was? (Not in full, obviously, Just a hint!)

'Dog'. But substitute the 'D' for a 'W'.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week we had an edit due to inappropriate language. Today blurred boobs! Very funny episode in a cinema with Harold wanting to see Fellini's 8 1/2 and Albert wanting to see Nudes of '64. UKTV decided it had to blur all the boobs on the poster outside the cinema. I wonder if Mary Whitehouse was up in arms at the time ? !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was interesting that Harold threatened to build walls & split the house in two in today's episode. Of course he eventually did just that many years later in the classic Divided We Stand.

My fav episode, but did anyone notice, the TV that was being pushed back and forth, it had no inner or screen, guess to keep it light.
  • anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Noooooh :o Sacrilege. That would completely ruin them. I will avoid.

Drama did the same with auf wiedersehen pet. The amount of adverts and cuts to program totally ruined it. I gave up watching after 3 episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful episode today with Albert winning £1000 on the premium bonds. (Guest appearance June Whitfield).

I just wondered what the equivalent amount would be today
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    Wonderful episode today with Albert winning £1000 on the premium bonds. (Guest appearance June Whitfield).

I just wondered what the equivalent amount would be today

According to an online inflation calculator, £1000 in 1964 would now be equivalent to £18,281.30
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's episode (Harold's wedding) gave us another chance to see the awful extended Steptoe family (also seen in the funeral episode)
    Good to see Mollie Sugden and Gretchen (Ethel) Franklin.
    Best was Rita Webb who always made me laugh as a kid. I think she was a regular on the Arthur Haynes show.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,771
    Forum Member
    Today's episode (Harold's wedding) gave us another chance to see the awful extended Steptoe family (also seen in the funeral episode)
    Good to see Mollie Sugden and Gretchen (Ethel) Franklin.
    Best was Rita Webb who always made me laugh as a kid. I think she was a regular on the Arthur Haynes show.

Thing was, Mollie Sugden played the mother of the bride in this episode. I think she played one of Albert's sisters-in-law in the funeral episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Thing was, Mollie Sugden played the mother of the bride in this episode. I think she played one of Albert's sisters-in-law in the funeral episode.

True but no wonder they called her back as she always gave a wonderful comedic performance
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'She done me for a Tanner'

'I'll do you for nothing, if you don't shut up!'

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's episode had Yootha Joyce as Harold's girlfriend. Great comedy talent. She went on to star in (before math and g&m) Me Mammy with Milo Oshea which Id love to see again but the few remaiming episodes are locked up in the bbc vault.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She was the mother of the bride in And Afterwards At... In 1965 and Auntie Minnie in Oh, What a Beautiful Mourning in 1972.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's episode had Yootha Joyce as Harold's girlfriend. Great comedy talent. She went on to star in (before math and g&m) Me Mammy with Milo Oshea which Id love to see again but the few remaiming episodes are locked up in the bbc vault.

Yootha was Harold's girlfriends in The Bath in 1963 and A Box in Town in 1965. She also played one of the totter's wives in Steptoe and Son Ride Again in 1973.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drama did the same with auf wiedersehen pet. The amount of adverts and cuts to program totally ruined it. I gave up watching after 3 episodes.

The only way to enjoy these sorts to TV progs (not just s+s) is on DVD or bluray.....on commercial TV it's just a nightmare with all the breaks in the episodes.

I can't vouch for Drama ch (we don't get it on freeview in this part the uk, and it's not on freesat, meaning it needs sky to receive it) but I guess all commercial chs are more or less the same.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    The only way to enjoy these sorts to TV progs (not just s+s) is on DVD or bluray.....on commercial TV it's just a nightmare with all the breaks in the episodes.
    Rubbish! DVDs etc are fine if you want to repeatedly re-watch something, or can't receive (eg) Drama which most of us can on Freeview AND have the space and don't mind paying.

But "the only way is my way"? Nope.

Agreed, adverts can be irritating but most people have a pvr to zip past them.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    Rubbish! DVDs etc are fine if you want to repeatedly re-watch something, or can't receive (eg) Drama which most of us can on Freeview AND have the space and don't mind paying.

But "the only way is my way"? Nope.

Agreed, adverts can be irritating but most people have a pvr to zip past them.

.....I have a PVr with commercial skip, but it's too much hassle to keep reaching for he remote every 10mins. I know it's only to press 1 button, but the interruption ruins the viewing experience. Also, DVD is better picture quality than any SD channel, & bluray is better quality than any SD/HD channel......

I will add on, the same thing goes for films......nothing worse than films on channel 5, low picture quality with loads of commercial breaks.
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rita Webb & George A. Cooper was also in both of them
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    .....I have a PVr with commercial skip, but it's too much hassle to keep reaching for he remote every 10mins. I know it's only to press 1 button, but the interruption ruins the viewing experience. Also, DVD is better picture quality than any SD channel, & bluray is better quality than any SD/HD channel......

I for one welcome the fact that the Drama Channel is giving us the chance to see these old classics. Not a fan of DVD sets, I don't really see the point of buying something that after watching will sit on a shelf un-watched again for years (if ever).

My PVR skips the ads in one press, taking no longer than one second with absolutely no ruined viewing experience and there is only one ad break half way.

As far as quality goes, the B&W episodes are terrible, especially last nights, whats the point of buying them in Bluray? Freeview SD is more than adequate for their broadcast, but that in no way detracts from the programs themselves.

Why waste money on buying stuff on Bluray that was never made in HD?
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really chuffed to see these eps on Drama. I'm hoping that they show my favourite episode, 'Crossed Swords'.
    Why wait? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1qC7Tlgjf4
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really chuffed to see these eps on Drama. I'm hoping that they show my favourite episode, 'Crossed Swords'.

I'm sure they showed that one a few days ago
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »

As far as quality goes, the B&W episodes are terrible, especially last nights, whats the point of buying them in Bluray? Freeview SD is more than adequate for their broadcast, but that in no way detracts from the programs themselves.

Some Steptoe episodes were originally broadcast in colour (the first series that was in colour was in 1970) but the BBC wiped the tapes and all that exists today are dodgy black and white copies that Galton and/or Simpson recorded using an early video recorder.

They were known as the 'Lost Steptoes' when the BBC broadcast them in '93 - '94.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should applaud Drama for screening these classics.
    1. They are in b/w which most channels regard as the kiss of death
    2. They are in poor condition with scratches and lines but so watchable due to the writing and acting
    3. WB fluffed his lines so often but it's ok
    4. No cuts to fit until a time slot
    5. Just one ad break half way in

I would love to see some other classics from the vaults
    - George and the Dragon
    - Beggar My Neighbour
    - Me Mammy
    - the Rag Trade (Hancock And Karlin)
    - the Larkins