Options

Capello's New look England v Hungary.

bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn Rovers)

Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

Comments

• Options
    the.watsonthe.watson Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they'll get some good clothes from New Look.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Only one Tottenham player included after Harry b*tched about it last week, Capello is a joke :rolleyes:

I'm also annoyed about Bent being included, Capello didn't deem him good enough for the World Cup so what's changed now? Our most important player picked in a meaningless friendly 3 days before the season opener when we all know no matter how many he scores this season he won't be a regular squad member.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn Rovers)

Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)
    Same old, same old - can't wait for the start of proper football next weekend when the Prem kicks off. International football has become as dull as f****, particually where England are concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's Emile Heskey? This team will never beat Hungary.
  • Options
    the.watsonthe.watson Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's Emile Heskey? This team will never beat Hungary.

Taking a rest after winning Wimbledon.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only one Tottenham player included after Harry b*tched about it last week, Capello is a joke :rolleyes:

I'm also annoyed about Bent being included, Capello didn't deem him good enough for the World Cup so what's changed now? Our most important player picked in a meaningless friendly 3 days before the season opener when we all know no matter how many he scores this season he won't be a regular squad member.

As a Spurs fan, I'm happy there's only one player there. The one who deserves it the most. On the other hand, I'm not happy Lennon and Tommy seem to have dropped out of his plans? But oh well. What a shame, they'll just have to stay behind and get in some good preperation for the Man City game.

I agree with you about Bent, same for Zamora. It's almost a pity call-up. Pity bote or not though, I'm delighted to see Robbo there. But Foster?!

Still not happy that the big names get a call-up, despite being a bit poo this summer.

Not reading too much into thsi squad though really. It's not like he's picking on form at the moment.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    As a Spurs fan, I'm happy there's only one player there. The one who deserves it the most. On the other hand, I'm not happy Lennon and Tommy seem to have dropped out of his plans? But oh well. What a shame, they'll just have to stay behind and get in some good preperation for the Man City game.

I agree with you about Bent, same for Zamora. It's almost a pity call-up. Pity bote or not though, I'm delighted to see Robbo there. But Foster?!

Still not happy that the big names get a call-up, despite being a bit poo this summer.

Not reading too much into thsi squad though really. It's not like he's picking on form at the moment.

But they haven't dropped out of his plans at all, Capello has left them out at the request of Harry Redknapp who was moaning about the timing of the friendly last week, 100% they will be back in for the proper matches. He has included players from Man Utd and Chelsea only because Ferguson and Ancelotti have allowed them to be included as thet said they 'need games'.

What's the point in having an England manager when these managers are deciding who can and who cannot be picked in the squad? Its a bit of a joke.
  • Options
    TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "New look" England squad that still includes Gerrard and Lampard.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Terry should have been shown the door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they haven't dropped out of his plans at all, Capello has left them out at the request of Harry Redknapp who was moaning about the timing of the friendly last week, 100% they will be back in for the proper matches. He has included players from Man Utd and Chelsea only because Ferguson and Ancelotti have allowed them to be included as thet said they 'need games'.

What's the point in having an England manager when these managers are deciding who can and who cannot be picked in the squad? Its a bit of a joke.

But he's picked Daws, and of all our England players, he's the one we really can't afford to be going away and picking up an injury.

Harry just said what every other manager is thinking. It is a completely pointless friendly at a ridiculous time.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member

Rooney too, in my opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and Barry don't really deserve another chance. Rooney doesn't either. We're still going to have the same problems of trying to fit Gerrard and Lampard in together, who's the best option to play with Rooney, how do we make Terry a good defender etc etc etc.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Its also the style of football we play thats the issue, As soon as we meet a decent team in a Euro or World Cup competition, it exposes how we lack ball skill blah blah blah....... It tires me out the amount of relaunches England have had.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Why do SSN keep going on about David James not being in the squad, as if it's a shock?! :confused:

I would think it's obvious, at 40, that he's played his last game for England.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    A good squad apart from the strikers which rooney apart, are nowhere near international class and their selection is just pandering to the idea of "change".
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    A good squad apart from the strikers which rooney apart, are nowhere near international class and their selection is just pandering to the idea of "change".

So other than Rooney which other international class strikers should Capello have picked?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So other than Rooney which other international class strikers should Capello have picked?

I think that Defoe and Crouch are better players and play at a higher level than Zamora and Carlton Cole. I think its harsh dropping Crouch and Defoe.

Maybe im doing everyone a dis-service but that seems like change for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »

After his performances in the World Cup, Wayne Rooney should be nowhere near this England squad. Neither should Lampard or Gerrard. Still, at least they can face the booing crowd. I also question the inclusion of Wes Brown.

Good to see Ash Young called up...hope he's given a chance to show what he can do. I know very little about Gibbs or Wilshere, so will wait and see with those two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't rate Defoe at all. I think he is very, very poor at keeping hold of the ball.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't rate Defoe at all. I think he is very, very poor at keeping hold of the ball.

If you play him in a role where he has to keep hold of the ball then i wouldnt disagree but as a finisher he is tidy.

Cole, Bent and Zamora are not international class IMO. Good club players no doubt though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    If you play him in a role where he has to keep hold of the ball then i wouldnt disagree but as a finisher he is tidy.

Cole, Bent and Zamora are not international class IMO. Good club players no doubt though.

I don't think at the top level you can afford a player who can't hold the ball when needed. Whether it's his 'role' or not, it's the bare minimum you'd expect and anticipate everyone to be able to do when called upon. A player that isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet wouldn't get in my squad.

I wouldn't necessarily say Bent or Zamora are any better however.

I'm pleased with the inclusion as Wilshere. Even though he's an Arsenal player, he's going to be half decent. I'm sure of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...am surprised Terry is included to be honest. If I were Capello dropping him would be a no-brainer and I'd have taken great pleasure in doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think at the top level you can afford a player who can't hold the ball when needed. Whether it's his 'role' or not, it's the bare minimum you'd expect and anticipate everyone to be able to do when called upon. A player that isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet wouldn't get in my squad.

I wouldn't necessarily say Bent or Zamora are any better however.

I'm pleased with the inclusion as Wilshere. Even though he's an Arsenal player, he's going to be half decent. I'm sure of that.

Aside from the strikers i like the squad.

Only a fool would discard every player from the WC squad. You have to keep the guys who have proven quality. I think by and large Capello has done this.

EDIT: Im not sure what Wes Brown has done to deserve inclusion, and where is rodwell?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to keep some of the old pros around, I guess, for the youngsters to learn from. You need people around with experience of being with the England camp to take them by the hand, as it were.

Hart will be England's number 1 for the next ten years. I'm convinced of that.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's Shawcross and Huddlestone they impressed last season and i am surprised they has not being picked:eek::confused: