are google taking the * * * *

dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
Forum Member
✭✭✭
just thinking about what paul simon is upto these days , so went and typed it into google.
googles results have left me a bit well bemused.

anyway i grabbed a screenshot !
check it out.........

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35628083@N03/5204344432/

Comments

• Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the new live search it probably shows the most searched for sites first .
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just thinking about what paul simon is upto these days , so went and typed it into google.

check it out.........

It's only because you are searching on Google UK, so it returns UK results first (the store) rather than international /US results (the singer).
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suddenly, overnight I have begun to hate Google.

Instant is deselected but how the heck do you stop it predicting.....I've tried all the usual ways but it still insists on predicting.

I've changed nothing in Firefox so it must be this new Google.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    Suddenly, overnight I have begun to hate Google.

Instant is deselected but how the heck do you stop it predicting.....I've tried all the usual ways but it still insists on predicting.

I've changed nothing in Firefox so it must be this new Google.

Simple. Just click "instant is on" next to the search button and then click "instant is off" and there you go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Instant is off.

But as soon as eg "c" is entered a list starting with Currys, Comet, CBBC etc is displayed.

Actually I think it is Firefox rather than Google because I just tried IE and it doesn't happen.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well then, give a Bing another go
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

check it out.........

To be fair you did type something pretty ambiguous. If you'd typed paul simon singer your results would have been much better.

It reminds me of when my stepmum first got on the internet and wanted to find some sites where she could buy handbags, so she just went on Google and typed bags, nothing else. Then she decided to look for things to do with doll collecting, so she typed big dolls and was amazed by what came back. She's improved now.

Ultimately the more information you provide for your search the better the results will be.
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Sorry, who's Paul Simon? Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the results to me :p
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The results start with a web site whose domain name exactly matches the words you typed in the same order. Looks like a perfect match to me?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    The thing with Google's prediction is its very exploitable, so you can end up with all sorts of nonsense appearing in the list. Places like 4chan are always mucking about with the results to troll people, then you have the naturally stupid ones that appear on failblog every other day.

I just use Bing these days anyway. Does the job well enough and makes a nice start page. The suggestions you describe are on by default but can be turned off in preferences if it really bugs you that much.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use Bing it's much better.

Google have forgotten that they are a search engine. Understandable when you consider they have their hands full with trying to cement world domination by gathering everyones details via mail, search, YouTube logins, stealing data as they drive past your house taking photos of the streets you live in....
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    No, Instant is off.

But as soon as eg "c" is entered a list starting with Currys, Comet, CBBC etc is displayed.

Actually I think it is Firefox rather than Google because I just tried IE and it doesn't happen.

Can't be Firefox fullstop, as I turned off instant and it worked for me. This is why I suggested it.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Well then, give a Bing another go
    Paul Simon beds comes up high on there too, looks like they are using some kind of cleverness to boost themselves above the more famous version...
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Paul Simon beds comes up high on there too, looks like they are using some kind of cleverness to boost themselves above the more famous version...

Don't certain advertisers/sites pay to get bumped up in the google ratings?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't certain advertisers/sites pay to get bumped up in the google ratings?
    You can pay for sponsored links but there also ways you can get your site boosted up the page rankings.
  • Jack_OJack_O Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The google instant is different. The predictive text is known as google autocomplete and it can be removed here on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9b6rDiVIo&feature=related

The person has also added a fix for Firefox and Chrome users too.
  • LEPLEP Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

check it out.........

I hate google too it should have come up with the Beatles- Paul, Simon, Dingo etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack_O wrote: »
    The google instant is different. The predictive text is known as google autocomplete and it can be removed here on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9b6rDiVIo&feature=related

The person has also added a fix for Firefox and Chrome users too.

Thanks very much for that.......cured :D

What I can't understand is why Firefox changed overnight when there was no update. I knew it was Firefox and not Google because it wasn't happening in IE.
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it you weren't planning on buying curtains then? ;)
  • dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LEP wrote: »
    I hate google too it should have come up with the Beatles- Paul, Simon, Dingo etc.[/QUOTE

:rolleyes:
    whatever your taking i suggest you stop as it is obviouslly impairing your judgement.