Low-carb breakfast ideas

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm trying to follow a low-carb diet at the moment but really struggling with breakfast - I can't ever remember eating breakfast which didn't consist of cereal or a bread product, and it seems that even my much-loved glass of OJ is a no-no now as well!!:( I do like omelettes, but I've now eaten 5 eggs in the last 2 days which is more than I'd normally eat in a fortnight! :eek: So I just wondered how others following a similar diet got around this?

My apologies if this question has been asked before - this is my first visit to the F&D forum. Thanks guys :)

Comments

• RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand this obsession with 'carbs' (referring to them in shortform seems terribly Americanised, also). People can't live optimally without carbohydrates forever - that's the problem with 'diets', as opposed to a 'long-term sustainable approach to eating'.

With all those eggs I'd be surprised if you do a poo for another fortnight, thus defeating the object of (presumably) wanting to reduce the size and 'feel' of your stomach.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Steak and salad. The breakfast of champions.
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a low-carb dieter also. I sometimes have bacon and halloumi for breakfast. If you buy a low-carb sausage, they're ok with mushrooms and/or eggs.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I don't understand this obsession with 'carbs' (referring to them in shortform seems terribly Americanised, also). People can't live optimally without carbohydrates forever - that's the problem with 'diets', as opposed to a 'long-term sustainable approach to eating'.

With all those eggs I'd be surprised if you do a poo for another fortnight, thus defeating the object of (presumably) wanting to reduce the size and 'feel' of your stomach.

Let's hope 'Libertarian' doesn't hear you say that :D
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like groundhog day in these threads.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    It's like groundhog day in these threads.

Yup!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about some fruit? I regularly used to have a bowl of chopped apple, kiwi (one of each) and about a dozen grapes, sometimes with plain yoghurt.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup!!

:D
    what about some fruit? I regularly used to have a bowl of chopped apple, kiwi (one of each) and about a dozen grapes, sometimes with plain yoghurt.

I guess that depends on the OP's definition of low-carb. The one apple alone would probably blow a lot of low-carbers' daily budgets! :p
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    :D

I guess that depends on the OP's definition of low-carb. The one apple alone would probably blow a lot of low-carbers' daily budgets! :p

If you're on 20g of net cabs apples are out. You can have a portion of melon or stewed rhubarb though.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Three fail proof options

1. Starve
    2. Spam
    3. Cabbage giblets
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    You have to turn your mind around from what is breakfast. I eat anything at whatever time I want now, took me a while but now its normal for me to eat a chop or something in the morning
    I eat a lot of eggs and steak for breakfast but also I will save some of my dinner for breakfast or lunch the next day

spread some soft cheese onto ham and roll it up. or wrap bacon around soft cheese and cook it for a little while in the oven.

I like to make a quiche using corn-beef as the base and whatever you fancy mixed with the egg and cheese topping. you can cut it into slices for snacks or breakfast. or for a meal with lots of salad or green veg.

whatever recipes you want just type it into google and put lowcarb at the front.
    or Lowcarb breakfast recipes ideas

This is a great website and any recipe you want will be there, there are lots of people on there that have experimented and tweaked until its perfect

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like to echo what everyone else says, unless you are on the kick start 'zero' carbs phase of a lifestyle change, then eat a sensible breakfast. It will set you up for the rest of the day and stop you being hungry within a few hours. I would suggest 30g of wholegrain (no added sugar) cereal with skimmed milk and a piece of fruit would set up nicely for the day.
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Just like to echo what everyone else says, unless you are on the kick start 'zero' carbs phase of a lifestyle change, then eat a sensible breakfast. It will set you up for the rest of the day and stop you being hungry within a few hours. I would suggest 30g of wholegrain (no added sugar) cereal with skimmed milk and a piece of fruit would set up nicely for the day.

But that's not what the OP asked for , that's not lowcarb at all.

“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper” is very good advice no matter what diet you eat,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My DH has 2 breakfasts he swears by:

Full fat Greek yoghurt (total) with strawberries
    Cooked brekkie of bacon, sausage, egg and mushrooms when he's staying in hotel

Either keeps him going all morning and he often works through lunch without realising it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Kippers - there's a great old school breakfast ready for a 'low-carb' era comeback.
    Low carb, low fat, full of omega 3 and protein, tastes great - you'll stink out the house though and your colleagues won't thank you either