" Signers " on Television programmes

13»

Comments

• njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for random scheduling, the EPG on freeview has SL after the prog details to identify sign language is going to be used so take note of it.
    I've occasionally fallen foul of my DVR resolving a scheduling conflict by choosing a later broadcast which turned out to be signed.

More often, I've noticed programmes that claim in the EPG to be signed, but aren't. This is quite often the case on Pick TV, IIRC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BSkyB's Pick TV's take on signalling which TV Access Services on the EPG Info Bar ate on any programme is very haphazard.

Charmed Series 8 has Audio Description, for example, but you wouldn't know it from the EPG.

As noted in other posts, ome deaf people can find it difficult to understand subtitles.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I watch TV after midnight, and I hardly notice them signers anymore. But saying that, I do like to watch them on music channels, as they tend to dance to the music. It can be more entertaining than the actual video.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I cannot watch bbc news on sky and have to switch to bbc news on channel one, because of this.
    I feel bad every time I am annoyed by it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So be glad you have a choice of whether to watch the version with the signer or not.

BSL users - who pay the same amount for their TV License as those who can access subtitles and/or speech- have to chase the SL version every time.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graffin wrote: »
    The bald guy who used to sign for 4music while dancing is my hero.

LOL I agree!

I love watching 4Music in the early hours of morning, those Sign People are the coolest!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    I agree generally with signing as it's done at present, however...

a) it should always be indicated clearly in the EPG if a particular broadcast will be signed.

b) the main picture (excluding signer) should be placed symmetrically, shrinking it as necessary (which is done anyway) and with the signer outside or at the very edge of the 4:3 safe zone. Then, people who find it distracting could zoom in to remove it or at least most of it.

These two things seem so obvious to me that their failure to do this alone makes it irritating (but not the signing itself). Maybe they are always clearly indicated in the EPG, in which case I withdraw point a). ;)