Switching back to BT

Im thinking of switching back to BT from NTL. We have a BT master socket downstairs from when we prev had a BT line in the house. When we moved in we cut off the BT line and had NTL install one of there lines and several extra points around the house. Question i have is will the extra boxes NTL put in work if i have the BT line put in or will BT have to rewire the whole lot and put there own in?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    hi ,if youre bt/openreach master socket is within 1m of the ntl socket then yes the engineer will pick up the exts but you must request this if it is over then charges may apply,the recon should be free of charge as long as the original bt line has not been physically cut off,hope this helps ,sales should give you the full info :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    i WOULD GET THIS CHECK OUT. I WAS WITH NTL AND SWITCHED BACK TO BT AFTER I WAS FED UP NTLS SERVICE. I HAD 5 NTL BOXES AROUND THE HOME. I JUST HAD 1 BT MASTER SCOKET.

BT ADVISED ME THAT THEY COULD NOT TOUCH ANOTHER COMPANYS TELEPHONE LINE IE THERE MASTER SOCKETS OR ANY OF THERE EXTENSIONS AS THERE ARE NON BT,

TO GET AROUND THIS THE BT ENGINEER DID WIRE UP FOR ME AN EXTENSION CABLE AND TOLD ME IF I CUT THE MASTER SCOKET AND WIRED IT IN IT WOULD WORK WHICH IT DOES.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Hi, ,many thanks for your answers. The BT socket actually sits next the the NTL one so that shouldnt be a prob. Only thing is they have told me i might have to pay £125 reconnection charge due to the fact the BT line has been disconnected for so many years but they wont know until the BT engineer comes out and takes a look!
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Get the kettle boiling and the chocolate hobnobs ready!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Keep the engineer sweet and he may be inclined to help you out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    so a swift backhander to the engineer direct to avoid having to pay the ridiculous BT fee?
    Forum Member
    tony077844 wrote: »
    i WOULD GET THIS CHECK OUT. I WAS WITH NTL AND SWITCHED BACK TO BT AFTER I WAS FED UP NTLS SERVICE. I HAD 5 NTL BOXES AROUND THE HOME. I JUST HAD 1 BT MASTER SCOKET.

BT ADVISED ME THAT THEY COULD NOT TOUCH ANOTHER COMPANYS TELEPHONE LINE IE THERE MASTER SOCKETS OR ANY OF THERE EXTENSIONS AS THERE ARE NON BT,

TO GET AROUND THIS THE BT ENGINEER DID WIRE UP FOR ME AN EXTENSION CABLE AND TOLD ME IF I CUT THE MASTER SCOKET AND WIRED IT IN IT WOULD WORK WHICH IT DOES.

bt / openreach win back policy ,if a cable master socket is within 1m of the bt/openreach then the exts from that socket can be picked up as this wiring is classed as the customers owned not the service providers ,also its quite rude too SHOUT when people are trying to give out proffesional advise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    thfcmad wrote: »
    so a swift backhander to the engineer direct to avoid having to pay the ridiculous BT fee?

That might not work, the engineers are being looked at closely by the managment when they should be raising charges on a job, plus its obviously a sackable offence to take payment.

Some engineers will take the money but most will not as they want to keep their jobs. I know an engineer that have got the sack because a customer had phoned up BT after they had given him a back hander just to say what a good he had done.... DOH:eek:
    Forum Member
    Apologies for using cap letters...... However all NTLS sockets must be connected to NTL Master Scoket and all BTS sockets connected to BT Master Socket. One company is not allowed to touch another companies sockets as they dont belong to each other. The 5 sockets I had connected to the NTL Master Socket where installed by NTL. BT advised they could not touch what so ever any other comapnies telephone equipment
    Forum Member
    tony077844 wrote: »
    Apologies for using cap letters...... However all NTLS sockets must be connected to NTL Master Scoket and all BTS sockets connected to BT Master Socket. One company is not allowed to touch another companies sockets as they dont belong to each other. The 5 sockets I had connected to the NTL Master Socket where installed by NTL. BT advised they could not touch what so ever any other comapnies telephone equipment

they have advised you wrongly you can touch another providers master socket but only to pickup any ext wiring coming out of that socket , as this wiring is classed as customers owned but if any faults in the future are caused by this wiring then you are then liable to svc charges as it is not deemed to be the tel providers wiring. i am an openreach eng i this is part of my winback criterea for customers leaving cable and returning to bt/ other service providerds ,but only when an engineer visit is required to reconnect you.the end off a providers tel network is the main nte5 if you take the small face plate off the socket what is left is the end of the network what ever is teminated into the small face plate ,is what is deemed customers owned hope this helps if you have anymore queries just pm me:D
    Forum Member
    I think the person who has the query needs to speak to BT then on this. BT informed me that you are not allowed to touch any other telephones equipment. Even if the NTL cable is connected to the NTL Master Socket coming into the property BT would need to either open up the NTL Master Socket to rewire the extensions or to cut the NTL Extension scokets. When the enigneer from BT came to my house he told me he could not cut or touch anything to do with NTL. THe told me what to do and provided me with a cable to cut the NTL line so I could connect it to BT
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a number port from Virgin Media (cable) you will need to contact Cusromer Options Team (COT) and not sales. These are the numbers (freephone):

0800 800 880 (connecting phone only)

0800 800 030 (connecting broadband and phone)

You need an active account with you provider, so BT can port the number. If your account is ceased BT cannot port the number. Lines re-open at 8am tomorrow and they will advise on return and any applicable costs.

Please note that BT and Openreach are seperate busineses and BT do winbacks and are a Service Provider (SP) as Openreach maintain the network for Service Providers (SP's).