Chickenpox again after 6 weeks?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
Forum Member
hi :) I recently had a second bout of Chickenpox that was quite severe (first being when I was about 3 and was mild) due to having severe asthma,recent hospital admissions and steroid treatment as well as extensive eczema I was given Aciclovir and antibiotics while I had the virus. Now I've noticed I have some chickenpox-like spots on my legs and I'm concerned I could have got the virus again as my mum recently caught it off me too, but I thought this this wouldn't be possible due to having caught the virus so recently I should immunity. Does anyone know if it is possible to catch chickenpox again so soon after a recent
bout of it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    You could have Shingles which is caused when the dormant chickenpox virus "wakes up" again. It's usually brought on by stress (emotional or physical) I hope you don't have it because it can be really awful. My sister had them when she had cancer and it was awful because she was so sick to begin with and my father in law has had a nasty episode of them after he had the flu.

This is some info if you like.

I had a very bad case of the chickenpox as an adult so I know what a drag it is. I hope you feel better soon. :)
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have heard of those who get chicken pox again very quickly after one bout. I feel for you, it's horrible. :( Wish you better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    thank you both for your replies :) I'll phone my GP and see what he suggests. I haven't got anymore new chickenpox-type spots so maybe its just a coincidence - I hope! thanks again :)