Options

BBC Red button missing

Kumquat2Kumquat2 Posts: 65
Forum Member
I have a Panansonic Viera Freeview TV and suddenly in the last couple of days the BBC red button has stopped working on all the BBC channels except BBC News. It just simply doesn't appear and if I press 'text' on my remote nothing happens either. However, I can get the BBC red button on all the BBC channels using my Freeview recorder (that's attached to the exact same aerial). Anybody technical have any idea what's gone wrong? It's can't be as simple as something in the TV has gone wrong so it can't display digital text services, as I still get the red button on BBC News (and digital text on other non BBC channels). Before anyone suggests it I have tried rescanning for channels (completed fine but no effect) and also checked for software upgrades (none available).

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,688
    Forum Member
    Does this include BBC3 and BBC4? Just wondering if you are picking up the analogue BBC1 and BBC2 services.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kumquat2 wrote: »
    I have a Panansonic Viera Freeview TV and suddenly in the last couple of days the BBC red button has stopped working on all the BBC channels except BBC News.
    Something was up with it, tried to watch the tennis and it permanently had press red in the top right, if you pressed it you ended up on a Chelsea Flower Show screen with no video on it:rolleyes:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am also having the same problem with my Panasonic Viera. The Red Button logo has stopped appearing on all BBC Freeview Channels except BBC News 24. The Text button also does not work on these channels and aso ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

I have a Sony Freeview TV on the same aerial which is fine.

The only thing I can think happened is I tuned to Channel 301 BBC Red Button and pressed the Red Button there and now have this situation.

Anyone any ideas?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I'd be glad to be rid of the Red Button.

I have had a problem with Ch 301 just recently (directly and via Red Button) in that it causes my Toshiba TV/DVD combo to hang after a few seconds requiring a power cycle to remedy it. Very frustrating not being able to watch the tennis coverage.
    Only 301/red button is affected.

I assume that they have made some MHEG changes. Unfortunately this TV model doesn't include a "disable interactive services" setting.

I sent messages to BBC Technical reception people and to Toshiba tech support people on Tuesday, but have heard nothing back yet.

At least now I know that I am not the only one affected by whatever change they made...

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Does this include BBC3 and BBC4? Just wondering if you are picking up the analogue BBC1 and BBC2 services.

Yup, it doesn't work on BBC1, 2, 3 or 4 or on CBBC or CBeebies. But have discovered it works on BBC Parliament as well as on BBC News.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Starks wrote: »
    I am also having the same problem with my Panasonic Viera. The Red Button logo has stopped appearing on all BBC Freeview Channels except BBC News 24. The Text button also does not work on these channels and aso ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

I have a Sony Freeview TV on the same aerial which is fine.

The only thing I can think happened is I tuned to Channel 301 BBC Red Button and pressed the Red Button there and now have this situation.

Anyone any ideas?

Now that is interesting- that you have the same TV and the same problem. I wonder if they 'upgraded' the Viera software recently.... I might email Panasonic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem and have received reply from Panasonic.
    They are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

Strange that it works fine on a Toshiba connected to the same aerial!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Kumquat2 wrote: »
    I have a Panansonic Viera Freeview TV and suddenly in the last couple of days the BBC red button has stopped working on all the BBC channels except BBC News. It just simply doesn't appear and if I press 'text' on my remote nothing happens either. However, I can get the BBC red button on all the BBC channels using my Freeview recorder (that's attached to the exact same aerial). Anybody technical have any idea what's gone wrong? It's can't be as simple as something in the TV has gone wrong so it can't display digital text services, as I still get the red button on BBC News (and digital text on other non BBC channels). Before anyone suggests it I have tried rescanning for channels (completed fine but no effect) and also checked for software upgrades (none available).

I have exactly the same problem. It is scary that this has happened to the G10's at the same time!!
    It would look like a default software problem so it will be good when COLLARD gets the fix.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    You may find that the problem has now gone away. My Toshiba is no longer hanging/crashing when watching the tennis on 301.

This is a relief. I had wondered whether a similar malaise might spread to the other BBC channels.

Less comforting is the fact that neither Toshiba support nor the BBC had the courtesy to acknowledge the messages I sent last Tuesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Customer

Thank you for your email

It would appear at this stage that there has been a change within the broadcast signal which is causing the text to not be displayed on the BBC channels, we expect the issue to be resolved shortly.

I trust this answers your enquiry, but should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing customer.care@panasonic.co.uk or by telephoning on 0844-8443852.

Kind Regards

Miss D Queripel
    Customer Communication Centre
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ajgx4 wrote: »
    ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Customer

Thank you for your email

It would appear at this stage that there has been a change within the broadcast signal which is causing the text to not be displayed on the BBC channels, we expect the issue to be resolved shortly.

I trust this answers your enquiry, but should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing customer.care@panasonic.co.uk or by telephoning on 0844-8443852.

Kind Regards

D Q
    Customer Communication Centre

My follow up to customer care
    Thank you for the prompt reply.
    I also have a viera TH37-PV500B and the text is working.
    Could you please clarify this issue is specific to the G10 model

their reply to me
    Hi
    Yes, only some models, to do with a change in broadcast, the bbc are rectifying it shortly.

Kind Regards
    D Q
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem with my Panny G10.

No red button or text on Freeview but they work on Freesat.

Hope the issue is resolved soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    my panasonic 42 in red button has stopped working tv only 5 months old i live north wales and using wales transmitter. could some one tell me. is there atext on itv channels as there used to be on analogue.asked digital uk they dont know. digital uk thick as two shortplanks.why did they have to stop analogue. all we get is old progammes repeated up to 3 times aday. on new channels:mad:
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digby1 wrote: »
    my panasonic 42 in red button has stopped working tv only 5 months old i live north wales and using wales transmitter. could some one tell me. is there atext on itv channels as there used to be on analogue.asked digital uk they dont know. digital uk thick as two shortplanks.why did they have to stop analogue. all we get is old progammes repeated up to 3 times aday. on new channels:mad:
    Teletext no longer provides a news and information service on ITV, neither on Analogue nor DTT. If you press Text (NOT the red button) on digital ITV1 you should still get a menu, but it is just advertiser sponsored services.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digby1 wrote: »
    is there atext on itv channels as there used to be on analogue.asked digital uk they dont know.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a222124/dmgt-fined-gbp225k-over-teletext-closure.html and
    http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/dtt_channels.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Switched on BBC News at 1pm and found that Red Button is working again on my Panasonic.

Thank you to BBC or Panasonic or both!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    text issue resolved on BBC channels