Options

Pregnancy question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering if anyone can advise me? I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and don't ovulate very often at all... (I've mentioned this on this forum before.) I'm on the waiting list for IVF and the hospital said I should reach the top in about Febuary/March.

At the weekend, a couple of ovulation tests showed that it looks like I've actually ovulated! This is the first time I have been able to pinpoint it in nearly 2 years. :D

Me and the other half had sex a few times (making the most of ovulating!) and I can't explain it, but I think it's worked!!! Is this possible to 'just know' so soon? I don't know if it's psychological cos I want it so much and am dreading the IVF or if I really can tell?

14 and 17 years ago, I was pregnant (and lost) and this was before the PCOS was diagnosed. I think I remember this feeling from the last time I was pregnant. I obviously can't test til next week cos it's too early. But I really do feel like something's happened.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this feeling or am I just being daft? Is it possible to feel symptoms straight away? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some women claim to "know" very early on, others are oblivious (like my SIL, who was six months gone before she found out).

It could well be psychological, simply because you're hoping so much - but you just won't know until you can do a test. I'm not sure you would be able to know you were a pregnant within a matter of days.

Expect the worst but hope for the best, I'm afraid. Good luck!
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    Some women claim to "know" very early on, others are oblivious (like my SIL, who was six months gone before she found out).

It could well be psychological, simply because you're hoping so much - but you just won't know until you can do a test. I'm not sure you would be able to know you were a pregnant within a matter of days.

Expect the worst but hope for the best, I'm afraid. Good luck!

Agreed ... here's hoping you're right though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you both! I'll come back on here at the end of next week and let you know... Keeping everything crossed!!
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking you may be could make you notice things you hadn't before and link them to pregnancy when unrelated.

I will say though that before my period was due I had a lot of symptoms, I felt awful. Nausea, painful constipation, wind and itchy nipples. I really didn't think of pregnancy at the time, even went to the doctors and said no when I was asked if I had missed a period :o

What is it you are actually feeling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm feeling very nauseous (sp?), like travel sickness and am getting some stabbing pains in my lower abdomen. And feel physically exhausted. And light headed every now and again. And just this 'feeling' which I'm struggling to explain. All the symptoms I had early on both times before iirc. My boobs do hurt, but that's more cos they're HH cups so they tend to hurt alot anyway.

I'm just hoping it's not psychological cos it's what I want so badly.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I does sound promising then as I also had abdominal stabbing pains and the other symptoms similar to me. In fact my whole seven months of pregnancy was much the same, pain and feeling awful lol.

Good luck and I hope your right :)
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Good luck! Please do come back and let us know.
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    i echo what Rockerchick says

best of luck :)
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My missus has PCOS dont give up hope the natural way!!! I have 2 kids now:D

Hope your right, and your pregnant!!! Keep us infoormed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, bless you all. Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I will definitely let you know. I've really got everything crossed... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    I does sound promising then as I also had abdominal stabbing pains and the other symptoms similar to me. In fact my whole seven months of pregnancy was much the same, pain and feeling awful lol.

Good luck and I hope your right :)

Thank you! Makes me feel like it could actually be happening.... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With my 3rd pregnancy I knew a few days before my period was due. One morning I woke up with stabbing pains in my abdomen and just had a feeling that I was. The first test actually came up negative due to me testing a little bit early as I was so excited I couldn't wait, but the next day it was a definite positive.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago and I'm a month away from giving birth to my 3rd child, all conceived naturally. Don't be disheartened if it hasn't happened this time. There's a lot you can do to help yourself and improve your fertility. Check out the books by Colette Harris on the subject.
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    MrsPVR reported a prickling sensation in the early days of our current pregnancy.

Good luck OP.
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The symptoms do sound rather promsing! Good luck!

And my cousin's fiancee has PCOS. Their first (concieved naturally and within a couple of months of them starting to try) is due on Sunday!
  • Options
    spangledanglespangledangle Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's two stages. sounds like you could have got through the first stage i.e fertilisation, but you then have to get through implantation. This usually happens around 6-8 days after fertilisation. You may notice a stong twinge at this point.
    I think I recall noticing symptoms around about this stage and the implantation woke me up in the night!
    fingers crossed for you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've all been so positive; thank you!! I was in work today and felt utterly exhausted. Fingers crossed!!!

It feels so good to know that there are so many people I don't know on my side and rooting for me... I really appreciate it.. I promise to let you know what happens. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »
    The symptoms do sound rather promsing! Good luck!

And my cousin's fiancee has PCOS. Their first (concieved naturally and within a couple of months of them starting to try) is due on Sunday!

Best of luck to her!! What a lovely end to the year for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping for the best for you OP, fingers crossed!!

Docs think I may have PCOS but haven't really done much about it. Fertility does worry me though (even though I'm 17 and its NOT on the cards yet, I do want a family) and hearing so many success stories is really reassuring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    Hoping for the best for you OP, fingers crossed!!

Docs think I may have PCOS but haven't really done much about it. Fertility does worry me though (even though I'm 17 and its NOT on the cards yet, I do want a family) and hearing so many success stories is really reassuring.

Every case is different, so don't think it's the end. And don't stop using contraceptive til you're ready! Some women with PCOS still ovulate regularly; they get some of the other symptoms... It does concern me though, that your doctor hasn't done much about it. If you do have it, you need to get it diagnosed and you need information on how to manage it. Can you go for a second opinion? You may need Metformin, for example, to manage your blood sugars. Women with PCOS are more prone to insulin resistance, and it's important that they check you for that. There's other stuff too. Please go back and make them check you properly; if you can get on top of it now, it may help when you are ready for children. Good luck. :)

And thank you for your good wishes. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every case is different, so don't think it's the end. And don't stop using contraceptive til you're ready! Some women with PCOS still ovulate regularly; they get some of the other symptoms... It does concern me though, that your doctor hasn't done much about it. If you do have it, you need to get it diagnosed and you need information on how to manage it. Can you go for a second opinion? You may need Metformin, for example, to manage your blood sugars. Women with PCOS are more prone to insulin resistance, and it's important that they check you for that. There's other stuff too. Please go back and make them check you properly; if you can get on top of it now, it may help when you are ready for children. Good luck. :)

And thank you for your good wishes. :)

I may have to do that. She said to me "i think it could be pcos" then sent me off with the pill (which i shouldnt have been on for other reasons)
    have the implant now, so i doubt they'd even consider doing anything. can't risk pregnancy though!

you have any news yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi. Bad news. I did a test on Thursday and it was negative. I did another one today and it's still negative. I guess I imagined it all. I was so excited too; I do feel silly though. I'm hoping I can ovulate again next month, as this is the first time in 2 years I've been able to check for definite. Thank you all for your lovely kind thoughts. It's much apprectiated.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. Bad news. I did a test on Thursday and it was negative. I did another one today and it's still negative. I guess I imagined it all. I was so excited too; I do feel silly though. I'm hoping I can ovulate again next month, as this is the first time in 2 years I've been able to check for definite. Thank you all for your lovely kind thoughts. It's much apprectiated.

Aw - I have been wondering how you got on - sorry to hear about your disappointment - but also a good sign that at least you have been able to ovulate. It's almost December now so only a couple of months til you can start IVF process - I would relax about it now and stay hopeful for the future. Enjoy these next 3 months without putting too much pressure on 'trying' - you never know fingers crossed you might not even need to go down that route. Best of luck - and keep us informed (but not too informed :o) x
  • Options
    j24j24 Posts: 3,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just a quick post, I didn't have any trouble getting pregnant although I lost my first. But with my youngest child it took nearly 4 weeks to get a positive test result even though I 'knew'. So don't give up hope yet XXX
  • Options
    spangledanglespangledangle Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I'm no biologist but if you did ovulate then would you not be due a period? In which case I wouldn't rule anything out until then. It is afterall only 2 weeks since you think you ovulated so thursday would have been pretty early and today may still not pick anything up. Did you test a strong morning wee?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, don't give up hope. For some people tests just don't register. If you've not come on yet, then I'm not uncrossing my fingers for you yet.

And if the test does turn out to be right, I'll be willing you on for your next ovulation! Good luck!

Related - my sister has pcso and had tried for ages. Then one xmas we were hapilly getting "Merry" as she'd had no luck and there was no chance going by the test she'd done, by January she'd called me to say she was pregnant, and my gorgeous nephew is now 4.

Actually this time of year seems to help as my son was conceived on NYE.... hmmm