Options

Running a cat over

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
The wife and I were out in the car the other day, she was driving. We were on a dual carriageway in heavy slow moving traffic, when I looked out my window to see a dead cat sprawled out at the side of the road. Obviously the poor thing had been hit by a car.

It led us into a discussion about what to do when you kill an animal while driving. As I understand it, the law says that if you kill a dog you have to report it, but you don't have to if you hit a cat. The wife and I essentially agreed that if we hit a cat, we'd maybe report it to the police (though not sure how much interest they'd take) or, if there was an ID tag around the cat's neck, contact the owner ourselves. Seems like the decent thing to do, as even though I personally dislike cats, I realise a cat is someone's beloved pet.

But then I thought about some of the threads I've read on here in the past about cats and (perceived) cruelty against them. Case in point, the current thread on page one of GD discussing the guy who tried to hang his neighbours cat. These threads are always full of wannabe hard men and women who go on and on about how they would physically harm anyone who dared lay a finger on their pet.

Now, I realise that in the case of the thread I mentioned above and similar cases, that was a blatant case of cruelty and isn't comparable to accidentally running a cat over in your car. I also realise that most such comments are 99.9% complete BS and these keyboard warriors wouldn't dare actually do anything in real life.

However, it goes to show how passionately people feel about their pets. Now, if you'd accidentally run a cat over in your car and turned up at the owners house to break the news to them with good intentions, who is to say that person wouldn't react violently towards you upon hearing that news? Most people wouldn't, I am sure. But there must be a significant number of people out there who would immediately blame you and want to harm you, either through grief or simply because they're an arsehole.

So, thinking about it, If I did ever run a cat over, I'm not certain I would go directly to a cat owners house to break the news myself. Maybe the best course of action is calling the police? Or phoning them if you have a number?

Have you ever run over a cat? If so, what did you do?

Are you a cat owner who has been in the situation of someone coming to break the news that they ran over your pet? How did you react?

Is there a universally agreed form of "etiquette" if you kill a cat?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    when an old part time fireman neighbour got called out my young cat was somewhere under his bonnet :( he was gutted when he came to tell me, thankfully he didn`t bring the remains, which i thought thoughtful.

accidents happen.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Just keep going I think.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ran my cat over but did the decent thing and bought her body home to me, or called me or contacted the authorities (basically showed a bit of respect and decency) then I'd be absolutely fine with that.

If you tortured or purposely hurt my cat then expect to feel my wrath.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    It's not nice but cats are generally stupid and/or suicidal in regard to running out in front of cars.

I'm glad my cat chooses to stay within my back garden and surrounding back gardens - and doesn't join her feline cousins in playing dare in the road.

As far as running one over - I'd stop to see if the cat was dead. If it was injured I'd take it to a vet.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least report it to the council as they tend to have people come along and remove the carcass and try and find the owners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    free food for magpies and foxes....
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I was driving home once when all of a sudden the traffic just stopped and started going really slowly. The reason a cat had been run over and the police were blocking part of the road where the cat was lying(I think it was still alive luckily they were about 200 metres from a vet!).

Two of our cats have been run over, one was found by the bin men who called up and brought it round, they could easily have just chucked it in the bin lorry and not bothered doing the decent thing. The other one was run over outside our house, the car failed to stop, the car behind saw it all and stopped and helped our cat they were going to take it to a vet when one of our neighbours came home and recognised it as ours. My parents got their phone number and address and gave them a bottle of wine and some chocolates as a thank you for making our cats last moments as comfortable as possible. Each time it has meant that we were able to bury them and say goodbye.

I would rather have a body than not know where my cat is, accidents happen but not stopping for an injured animal is awful.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I dislike cats immensely I would never just drive on. There's no excuse for cruelty to animals and I would stop in order to assess the injury. After that I'd probably call the RSPCA or try and find a local vet. If the animal was dead I would consider moving it off the road and placing it somewhere fairly visible. Even people who keep vermin as pets deserve not to be left wondering what happened to dear ol' Horace.

But would I try and trace/contact the owners? Not then and there. I'd struggle to show any sympathy and don't want to face the tears/accusations. If the cat had an ID tag I'd take the details down and contact them later. Otherwise I'd probably let the police know since the owners would probably contact them as well.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    If you ran my cat over but did the decent thing and bought her body home to me, or called me or contacted the authorities (basically showed a bit of respect and decency) then I'd be absolutely fine with that.

If you tortured or purposely hurt my cat then expect to feel my wrath.

I visualised you making a war face and shaking your upraised fist at the screen as you typed that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have we had 'Reverse back over it to make sure' yet because that is soooo funny?
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never hit a cat but I once killed a large fox, I felt really guilty when I saw him lying by the side of the road with his big bushy tail blowing in the wind.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    I have never hit a cat but I once killed a large fox, I felt really guilty when I saw him lying by the side of the road with his big bushy tail blowing in the wind.
    I once had a brief encounter with a pigeon on the M5. it was just after the M42 joined heading north (the section with the odd cross hatchings blanking off a potential fourth lane).

Anyway the daft bugger flew in front my car while I was driving at 80mph. I never saw it. Just heard a thump then saw a trail of feathers in my rearview mirror. Luckily it didn't even mark the car. In this case I didn't feel it safe or necessary to stop and check the condition of the creature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I once had a brief encounter with a pigeon on the M5. it was just after the M42 joined heading north (the section with the odd cross hatchings blanking off a potential fourth lane).

Anyway the daft bugger flew in front my car while I was driving at 80mph. I never saw it. Just heard a thump then saw a trail of feathers in my rearview mirror. Luckily it didn't even mark the car. In this case I didn't feel it safe or necessary to stop and check the condition of the creature.

I had a wood pigeon go under my car once.

It left a huge cloud of feathers in my wake.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would stop if it was safe/practical to do so and if the cat had a collar with the owners details let them know what had happened.
  • Options
    tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    will_bun wrote: »
    free food for magpies and foxes....

....and Hugh fearnley Whittingstall :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The wife and I were out in the car the other day, she was driving. We were on a dual carriageway in heavy slow moving traffic, when I looked out my window to see a dead cat sprawled out at the side of the road. Obviously the poor thing had been hit by a car.

It led us into a discussion about what to do when you kill an animal while driving. As I understand it, the law says that if you kill a dog you have to report it, but you don't have to if you hit a cat. The wife and I essentially agreed that if we hit a cat, we'd maybe report it to the police (though not sure how much interest they'd take) or, if there was an ID tag around the cat's neck, contact the owner ourselves. Seems like the decent thing to do, as even though I personally dislike cats, I realise a cat is someone's beloved pet.

But then I thought about some of the threads I've read on here in the past about cats and (perceived) cruelty against them. Case in point, the current thread on page one of GD discussing the guy who tried to hang his neighbours cat. These threads are always full of wannabe hard men and women who go on and on about how they would physically harm anyone who dared lay a finger on their pet.

Now, I realise that in the case of the thread I mentioned above and similar cases, that was a blatant case of cruelty and isn't comparable to accidentally running a cat over in your car. I also realise that most such comments are 99.9% complete BS and these keyboard warriors wouldn't dare actually do anything in real life.

However, it goes to show how passionately people feel about their pets. Now, if you'd accidentally run a cat over in your car and turned up at the owners house to break the news to them with good intentions, who is to say that person wouldn't react violently towards you upon hearing that news? Most people wouldn't, I am sure. But there must be a significant number of people out there who would immediately blame you and want to harm you, either through grief or simply because they're an arsehole.

So, thinking about it, If I did ever run a cat over, I'm not certain I would go directly to a cat owners house to break the news myself. Maybe the best course of action is calling the police? Or phoning them if you have a number?

Have you ever run over a cat? If so, what did you do?

Are you a cat owner who has been in the situation of someone coming to break the news that they ran over your pet? How did you react?

Is there a universally agreed form of "etiquette" if you kill a cat?

You have a wife????....

Does she...errr...how do i put this nicely.....err.....carry your name????:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »

free food for a wandering cat...on a motorway
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seagull chicks are the worst, they don't move until its too late. On a dark street the driver has no chance of seeing them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Seagull chicks are the worst, they don't move until its too late. On a dark street the driver has no chance of seeing them.

I've been driving for over 20 years and hundreds of thousands of miles but I've only ever hit three animals - a pheasant, a rabbit and a squirrel. The squirrel seemed to deliberately hurl itself under the wheels, despite my attempts to swerve around him.

Interestingly, all these casualties occurred in Northamptonshire.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The trick to avoid running over an animal is that when they zig do *not* to zag as your instincts tell you but to zig as well. That is, do what the animal is expecting you to do.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just keep driving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I once had a rabbit get caught in the middle of the road in front of me. He chose to freeze, presumably in the hope that the car would simply pass over him. A clever move for a rabbit I thought. Perhaps he had done it before. Perhaps he was even doing it as a dare - with other, younger rabbits watching in awe from the roadside.

Sadly I was driving a Reliant Robin.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat was run over and he somehow managed to crawl home - he was in a terrible state.

I would be gutted if someone came and told me they'd ran him over, but would really appreciate the gesture - there would be nothing worse than just not knowing what had happened.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ran many animals over, not deliberately I should add, including a cat, which ran out from some bushes from the side of the road, and under my wheel. I didn't stop, no legal obligation to do so and in the particular spot, it would have been very dangerous to try. I doubt it would have known much about it, given that I was at approx 50 - 60 mph when I hit it.

I have had a pheasant hit my windscreen whilst travelling at 60 mph, which surprisingly didn't harm the windscreen at all, although I doubt the same could be said for the pheasant. Still, I imagine it will have made an enjoyable dinner for someone / thing.

I've also had a flock of seagulls kamikaze into my windscreen, which was pretty scary, as one after another bounced off, each making an ear piercing thud as it did so. I don't particularly like seagulls, so the aftermath in my rear view mirror was rather amusing.

I came about 3 metres away from hitting a deer in my then brand new car. I was travelling at approx 50 - 60 mph again and that would have made quite a mess. It was so close, I did not in fact even have time to hit the brakes. Not good for the blood pressure.

Ran over numerous rabbits and hedgehogs, despite trying to avoid them, I think some of them just have a death wish. The funniest was a nice straight road where a rabbit ran out in front of my car, got caught up in the draught underneath, which flicked it up behind my car, sending it bouncing behind my car like a football, when it finally stopped, it just ran off, probably quite battered and bruised, but alive to fight another day!

I almost ran over a puppy once, it just darted out, I slammed on, it froze in front of the car looking terrified, luckily for it, I have good reactions.

Finally, I once had to pull the remains of a bird out of my grille once, it must have flown in front of the car in the same direction, and when I got home, this birds head was stuck pointing out of my grille... and yes it was well and truly dead before anyone asks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The trick to avoid running over an animal is that when they zig do *not* to zag as your instincts tell you but to zig as well. That is, do what the animal is expecting you to do.

You've lost me :confused:

Need a diagram.. Honestly, I don't have the foggiest as to what you are on about..