Options

Stars in the Sky dating/friendship agency

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
Forum Member
Hey,
I've been considering whether this is is worth trying out... as someone with mild Aspergers (?) - some may recognise the name as they were the agency featured on The Undateables (I think).
I've never actually been on a date before :o:(
But the staff/support network where I live think it may be good idea as a first step to gain confidence, meet new people etc but sometimes I'm not sure :o
Maybe I should just take risks and see what happens. But I dont want to get too involved emotionally as that will hurt people.

Comments

• Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by mild aspergers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I mean just some of the symptoms of it without being fully diagnosed as having "Aspergers" I guess :o Or just not very severe,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say go for it! I was also diagnosed with mild Aspergers as a child (yes, there are varying degrees) and while I overcame a few things such as a few habits with therapy, confidence I find is still one thing that holds me back.

If you do find yourself on a date, don't let confidence hold you back about saying what you want, and enjoy the moment. Don't think too far ahead about what might happen etc because you will get your hopes up!

It is totally worth trying because if you don't, you won't get anywhere at all. That's the ultimatum I've given myself when I want to tell a guy that I like them etc. Of course the rejection can knock my confidence but it's the ultimatum I give myself every time round. It's finally worked and I do now have a boyfriend :) so it will pay off in the end! Don't be afraid to get out there and meet some new people. Even if it doesn't work out on the dating front you may still make new friends which will boost your confidence anyway :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks! :) I have been attracted to girls/women before and fancied them etc, but havent been out on a date before so hopefully this will change!
    I may have to get an official diagnosis but I think my Aspergers is mild anyway :) Most of the time it doesnt bother me but I do feel low on confidence and am not always sure who to approach :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm filling in the form now, so I guess theres no going back :)
    Some parts seem hard to fill in though - eg "Describe your ideal date" and "What are you looking for from your date eg friendship, dating" - what else would you be looking for? Why isnt there an option for "See how things develop if you find a girl attractive"? I cant really say before I've even met someone what I'm looking for, though yes dating a fun, and attractive girl would be nice, but it seems like I'm jumping the gun a bit to say that at the start :o
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best of luck OP :)
  • Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck.
    Though don't place too much investment in going on a date, not many people do that, I've never been on a date either but have had girlfriends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I managed to fill in the form today!
    I'm not expecting anything or getting my hopes up too much (he says) :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Good luck ...Online dating is a bit hit n miss with or without aspergers

I have it too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update: Though I filled out the form, I dont know if its been sent off yet (someone has to write my "character reference") - and then theres the waiting...
    Because I've never had a girlfriend before I worry I'm going to think "A date/potential girlfriend! What do I do?" and be awkward :o
    When I went to a disco/karaoke with a group the other week, the producer of the Undateables C4 programme was there!
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Let us know how it goes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey,
    Hopefully I'll just bite the bullet and try it out soon, I guess its wrong to expect something to be perfect, but I keep having second thoughts lately and I dont want to be hurt :o:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Slowly making progress, recently sent an email asking when/if I can go and see them.. so I'll wait and see what happens :)
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Slowly making progress, recently sent an email asking when/if I can go and see them.. so I'll wait and see what happens :)
    Would it bother you if it recommend you someone who is far less able that what you are? For example, if they had Down's Syndrome? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it might :o:o I hope they find someone who is on my kind of wavelength.
    That sounds horrible :o:( After all we all really want the same things out of life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish you the best of luck with finding a partner. But I don't think stars in the sky is meant for you.
    It's a dating agency just for those with learning disabilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does Aspergers count as a Learning Disability? I'm not sure :o I remember having tests that said I dont have one.
    I remember there was that guy with Aspgergers on the 1st episode of The Undateables, hopefully they'll find a good match :confused:
    I dont think SITS should be the be all and end all, maybe its just a first step to meeting new people or dating... :):confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to un pc. But I think when they mean learning disabilities they mean those with a lower than average intelligence. Aspergers is a type of neurological disorder. I think if you have aspergers and average intelligence stars in the sky isn't really suitable as it is more aimed at those at the lower end.

You could try 'no longer lonely'. Im not sure if it is suitable because it is for mental illness but it does cover those with autism and aspergers too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I'll give it a try and see if its right for me, if it doesnt work out I can always leave (or decide not to join after I've spoken to them) :)
  • Options
    Jessica LeMoneJessica LeMone Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Don't tell them you have aspergers because it might put some people off. My brother has a mild form of aspergers and you can't really tell but as soon as he tells someone he has it they start to treat him differently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't tell them you have aspergers because it might put some people off. My brother has a mild form of aspergers and you can't really tell but as soon as he tells someone he has it they start to treat him differently.
    That must be so soul destroying! :(:cry:
  • Options
    Jessica LeMoneJessica LeMone Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    That must be so soul destroying! :(:cry:

Not really, he is used to people thinking he is odd. I find him quirky and loveable but that's because he is my baby brother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :( Sorry to hear that.
    I think I should be able to point out my concerns when I go to see them about things like this. I agree I dont think I want to reveal I have Aspergers (if I do have a mild form of it) :confused: It shouldnt define me as a person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, he is used to people thinking he is odd. I find him quirky and loveable but that's because he is my baby brother.
    :):cry::):cry::):cry::):cry:
  • Options
    whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    OP - did you get a reply to your email? I hope you manage to find what you're after, best of luck!