Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 3)

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    There are some nasty people out there.

Same thing happened a few years back a old man collapsed down one of the aisles on a Saturday morning, the aisle was cordoned off, and a curtain thing was drawn around him where he was laying on the floor, but still some people were trying to get down the aisle with their trollies, they were explained what had happened and a couple got huffy because they couldn't get what they wanted from the aisle.

Tough shit show some respect for the poor old man, some people are incredibly selfish and ignorant, and need a good slap.

Yes. Had that with a pregnant lady who fainted during the toy sale last year. Had to close off the aisle too. One older woman said "just move her, some people need to buy stuff" i just stood there like an idiot with my mouth open for a few seconds until the assistant manager who is also a first aid officer told her to get out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't work in retail, but when I see the shop assistants trying to get their cages/big trolleys through the aisles to re stock the shelves, I get annoyed on their behalf when people in a daydream just saunter right in front of them or manage to block a 15 ft wide aisle with ONE trolley.

I would end up getting sacked for shoving a mobile phone up someone's arse too.
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you're assuming the customer would just say 'ok then, sorry to have bothered you' and walked off. Some may, but some customers will still take issue and complain about a person being unhelpful regardless.

So you be an arse to the customer in case the customer might be an arse to you? Yet you'd complain if the customer treated you like this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for a greetings card shop, as a Christmas temp.

A customer legitimately came in and asked me if we sold Birthday cards. Didn't realise that just because we have a lot of Christmas stock in the shop at Christmas time, we still actually do sell normal Birthday cards.

Sigh...
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I don't work in retail, but when I see the shop assistants trying to get their cages/big trolleys through the aisles to re stock the shelves, I get annoyed on their behalf when people in a daydream just saunter right in front of them or manage to block a 15 ft wide aisle with ONE trolley.

The ones i like are the ones that walk in front of you purposely so you need to stop.

Ive been going down an aisle with a very heavy trolley and some old git will put a cheesy smile on and side step in front of you, still smiling at you, so you struggle to move the trolley across so to avoid hitting them, and they keep smiling at you then side step back in front of you again!!!.
    In the end you just need to stop and say to them, this is heavy and you will get hurt if it hits you, do you need, can i get past please?
    usually then they come out with the question.

Just stop me and ask, can you help me with something please, don't dart in front of me like some imbecile, something unfortunate may happen one of these days.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the charity shops, The customer is not always right and is usually wrong. At least the bosses in the charity shops don't accept the customer is always right thing now.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for Blockbuster too and a woman once asked me for a refund cuz the film she borrowed wasn't good. Em..
  • Landdrifter24Landdrifter24 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I keep having people who know i work, where i work asking me in the street if so and sos came in last night... errrrr hold on ill just use my bloody remote viewing super power and check for you. then there's the people who expect miracles, e.g. How many tins of paint will i need for my kitchen or how many rolls of wallpaper will i need for my hallway... and when you reply "i really have no clue, what are the measurements of the rooms?" they look at you gone out like I'm meant to know, you would seriously not believe how many people ask these kind of questions... my favourites are the ones who always say stuff like "i hate it when you move stuff around all the time" err n o actually this has been here a year or more love... oh erm right ok.

I could rant for hours BUT the amount of awesome customers that come in outweighs the bad ones easily, so i try not to complain too much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers who demand refunds for ridiculous reasons, then when refused either misquote the Sale of Goods Act or - more popular now - the Amazon or eBay return policies.

Customers with no concept of opening/closing times and days. One gentleman in particular who simply couldn't compute that the independent hifi shop I ran wasn't open on a Sunday, or till 8 o clock each night. And an honourable mention to all those who resent and actually complain that supermarkets etc are closed on Xmas Day. It's the same every year you f**kwits, how can you not prepare for it?

Professional hagglers, particularly those who on being told a price say "yes, but what are you going to do FOR ME???'' I've never met you, why would I give you preferential treatment?

Shoppers who bring their lurgy-ridden kids into the shop I've just taken over, meaning I contracted full-blown chicken pox for the first time at age 38 and missed five out of my first eight weeks at my new job. To be fair this one isn't really a common occurrence :D
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Shoppers who bring their lurgy-ridden kids into the shop I've just taken over, meaning I contracted full-blown chicken pox for the first time at age 38 and missed five out of my first eight weeks at my new job. To be fair this one isn't really a common occurrence :D

Felt bad for two kids on Thursday night, came into the store with their mother about 8.00pm in their pajamas and clearly didn't want to be there. They couldn't of been more than 4 or 5. She was looking at luggage, must had been fascinating for the kids.
  • One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple of customers poke me in the back with their finger to get my attention. What's wrong with a simple, 'excuse me'? I have no problem helping anyone, but just ask for it. Don't just stick your finger into my back and say 'where's the toilet paper?'. It's rude.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One United wrote: »
    I've had a couple of customers poke me in the back with their finger to get my attention. What's wrong with a simple, 'excuse me'? I have no problem helping anyone, but just ask for it. Don't just stick your finger into my back and say 'where's the toilet paper?'. It's rude.

Yep, though also infuriating is when the click their fingers at you, like your a trained monkey or something. Also when they scream at you from across the room.

The other day, a woman actually came out the back of the store to demand that I come and serve her at once! As silly as it sounds, it felt like such a violation that she would burst in there - the stockroom is clearly marked as staff only, yet she just comes sauntering in, rudely demanding that I come and serve her! There were three other members of staff on the shop floor too - maybe I should feel flattered that she wanted me?! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm like a magnet for this type of thing. Most of the day nobody wants to be within 20 feet of me, yet the moment I start removing things from the wall, everyone suddenly needs to be where I'm standing.

I always feel so sorry for the workers at Tesco or Morrisons when they are putting the reductions trolley out. My friend used to have to do this, and he said that people would literally swarm him, grab as many things as they could from the trolley (before the prices had even been changed) then wave them in his face so he would do that item next. Apparently on some days, the entire contents of the trolley would be taken before they actually made it onto the shelf!
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I'm like a magnet for this type of thing. Most of the day nobody wants to be within 20 feet of me, yet the moment I start removing things from the wall, everyone suddenly needs to be where I'm standing.

I always feel so sorry for the workers at Tesco or Morrisons when they are putting the reductions trolley out. My friend used to have to do this, and he said that people would literally swarm him, grab as many things as they could from the trolley (before the prices had even been changed) then wave them in his face so he would do that item next. Apparently on some days, the entire contents of the trolley would be taken before they actually made it onto the shelf!

that is my job and it annoys me too,i even have people bring stuff up to me and ask to reduce it,of course we are not allowed to.

It is so bad somedays i just pull all of the stuff out of the way and go in the back to reduce it in peace.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a carton of strawberry milkshake today

When i open it, there is a ring pull, and you need to pull very hard to open it

I wonder if that is there, to stop people from just taking a swig in the supermarket, and then putting it back on the shelf
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you've run out or are running low on particular change, eg I've given out the last five pound note from the till, before I can get anymore next customer wants to pay for a two pound item with a ten pound note. "Have you got anything smaller"? "No mate". "Only I've got no fivers in the till". "That's alright mate". A) I'm not your "mate" and B) no it's not f****ng alright because if I have to give out pound coins to several customers in succession before I can get anymore fivers that'll just create another change issue.

Also on earlies, staff are in from 6am setting up although we don't open till 7am but the door will be unlocked as the delivery will be coming through the front, customers wandering in around 6.50, "Sir, we're not open yet". "That's alright I'll just amble round slowly". Or trying to take a paper, you tell them the tills aren't open, "Why can't i just leave you the money"? Case of if you do something for one customer and word gets out others will demand you do the same for them, and anyway what part of "Open 7am-11pm" on the front of the shop don't you understand?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Letting customers in before opening time is a silly idea anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of early openings, my shop encourages "browsing time" on a Sunday at busy times (December for example!) where we're forced to open half an hour early for people to look around.

The problem is, my store is the smallest in the area, so by 9.40 anyone who has come in (and there's always surprisingly plenty) have already found whatever they were browsing for, and end up getting irrate waiting by the till for 20 mins, because we can't actually put their transaction through until 10.00. It's torture just having to smile awkwardly for 20 minutes, torture!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we're not letting them in, they just see the door ajar because the bread or milk delivery is coming in through the front, and just assume that door open equals shop open, well it doesn't always.
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    Speaking of early openings, my shop encourages "browsing time" on a Sunday at busy times (December for example!) where we're forced to open half an hour early for people to look around.

The problem is, my store is the smallest in the area, so by 9.40 anyone who has come in (and there's always surprisingly plenty) have already found whatever they were browsing for, and end up getting irrate waiting by the till for 20 mins, because we can't actually put their transaction through until 10.00. It's torture just having to smile awkwardly for 20 minutes, torture!

That sounds maddening for everyone involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And another one I find irritating is customers kicking their basket along the floor as they move up the queue.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    So you be an arse to the customer in case the customer might be an arse to you? Yet you'd complain if the customer treated you like this.

Don't know where you get the notion I would be an arse to the customer, but you just go right on making you assumptions.

Also...if the customer was rude to me, who exactly would I complain to?
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    That sounds maddening for everyone involved.

It is one of the genius things that help no one and annoy everyone
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    And another one I find irritating is customers kicking their basket along the floor as they move up the queue.
    Why? Safer there than risking poking someone in the ribs with the corner of a heavy basket as they swing round to let someone through. :confused:
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some nasty people out there.

Same thing happened a few years back a old man collapsed down one of the aisles on a Saturday morning, the aisle was cordoned off, and a curtain thing was drawn around him where he was laying on the floor, but still some people were trying to get down the aisle with their trollies, they were explained what had happened and a couple got huffy because they couldn't get what they wanted from the aisle.

Tough shit show some respect for the poor old man, some people are incredibly selfish and ignorant, and need a good slap.

This didn't happen to me, but my hairdresser told me about it. One of the salon owners had to cancel all his appointments one day. The receptionist phoned around and managed to get hold of most of his clients. There was one that couldn't be reached and when she showed up for her appointment, just threw a fit in spite of the fact that the reason the stylist wasn't there was because his baby had died that morning. The client actually said, "Well, if the baby's already dead there's no reason why he can't come in and do my hair!" Unbelievable. >:(
This discussion has been closed.