English or British?

Comments

• elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I hate the fact that the Scots and the Welsh can call themselves Scottish or Welsh on forms but the English have to be British. I went through a phase of actually putting down other and writing English on forms. I do think it's unfair that the English are not properly recognised.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I've always said I'm English - I'm not Scottish, Welsh or Irish, I am English. It's what I always said when I lived abroad and what I continue to say now :D

It's not a preference, I don't mind saying I'm British, it's just the first thing that pops into my head when asked - I'm English :) When asked where I'm from, I say England.

I agree, I'm English as that is what I am as a statement of fact. However saying that seems to be looked upon like we are some Nationalistic Right Wing nut-job. Only England gets that and it seems we can't be proud of our country like all other UK countries can.

And I also don't like others telling me where I come from: "Oh you are from the UK?" - "No! I'm from England and I'm English!" is always my reply.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Union Jock wrote: »
    Here in the UK I consider myself Scottish but outside I'm British.

No you are only British when you win a gold medal. :p:D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire. The others don't particularly bother me, either way.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no nationality/national allegiances. And I don't care either.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southern English thank you
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am English. I only refer to myself as British when I represent the UK.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I'm English as that is what I am as a statement of fact. However saying that seems to be looked upon like we are some Nationalistic Right Wing nut-job. Only England gets that and it seems we can't be proud of our country like all other UK countries can.

And I also don't like others telling me where I come from: "Oh you are from the UK?" - "No! I'm from England and I'm English!" is always my reply.
    Haha :D

I don't do it out of any sense of patriotism or anything - it was just what we said when we lived abroad as kids ... 'Where are you from?' 'I'm from England!' Never thought to say I'm British, even though my Dad worked for the British Embassy :p
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I'm English, I don't think I've ever called myself British
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    (Great) Britain is an island (relatively small part of land surrounded by sea on all sides), and specifically the quite big one situated on the Northwest of mainland Europe.
    Unless the Scots cut off their part of the island, attach it to a rocket and fly it to another part of the planet (even a few metres North would do), they'll continue to be in (Great) Britain.

They'll be in Great Britain (geographical term), but not in Britain (political entity).
    Forum Member
    Will our passports now say:

The Ununited Kingdom of Great Britain (well England and Wales (which isn't even a country)) and Northern Ireland.

So all a bit silly keeping Great Britain or even Britain as that's only a collective of two places, one of which, Wales isn't a country.

Wales is indeed a country! And Britain currently consists of the island of Great Britain plus Northern Ireland. If Scotland leaves, it will be just England, Wales and NI that make up Britain, otherwise known as the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    They'll be in Great Britain (geographical term), but not in Britain (political entity).
    I can't find any official reference of the word "Britain" referring to a political entity, aside from an unofficial word used to refer to the UK, probably arising from the fact that (at least up to now) the entirety of Great Britain was part of the UK and also its biggest part.
    If you have such a reference, please show me.
    Forum Member
    I can't find any official reference of the word "Britain" referring to a political entity, aside from an unofficial word used for the UK, probably arising from the fact that (at least up to now) the entirety of Great Britain was part of the UK and also its biggest part.
    If you have such a reference, please show me.

Can only say that I've not heard it used in any other sense than meaning "the UK".
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I'm English - my home country is England
    I'm British - England's geographical location is the British Isles (nothing to do with the UK)
    I'm European - the British Isles is located on the European continental plate (nothing to do with the EU)
    I'm Western - I'm from the Western part of the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Can only say that I've not heard it used in any other sense than meaning "the UK".
    Not even when mentioning the island?
    In any case, this is an enormous change that's possibly about to happen. Since there doesn't seem to be anything official saying that "Britain" can only refer to the UK, and the reason people use it this way is directly related to the thing that may change, we'll have to fall back to the only official meaning: The island. Therefore, people from England, Scotland or Wales are by definition from Britain, regardless of which country they're in.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    I consider myself to be British because that is what I am. I wasn't born in Britain (England, Scotland, Wales or N Ireland) but on a British Army base in Germany.

Although I have lived in England most of my life, and have English parents, I don't consider myself to be English, and if I had to declare an allegiance to a part of Britain, my allegiance would be to Yorkshire. I feel the north of England is too far removed from the south East, to feel part of the England they are part of.

I see you have inherited the Yorkshire attitude.
    Forum Member
    Not even when mentioning the island?
    No, I've only ever heard the island called Great Britain.
    In any case, this is an enormous change that's possibly about to happen. Since there doesn't seem to be anything official saying that "Britain" can only refer to the UK, and the reason people use it this way is directly related to the thing that may change, we'll have to fall back to the only official meaning: The island. Therefore, people from England, Scotland or Wales are by definition from Britain, regardless of which country they're in.
    No, I wouldn't agree. The term "Britain" (without the Great) is only ever used in a political sense (as is "British"*), and I don't see why that wouldn't continue to be the case if Scotland left the UK.

*with the sole exception of "British Isles", and even that is disputed in the ROI!
  • lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BZR wrote: »
    I am English, never ever refer to myself as British.

Same here :)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I'm English - my home country is England
    I'm British - England's geographical location is the British Isles (nothing to do with the UK)
    I'm European - the British Isles is located on the European continental plate (nothing to do with the EU)
    I'm Western - I'm from the Western part of the world.

Me, Northerner born and bred! :D

Also I am British and English politically and ethinically, also European geographically and ethnically.

However
    - British is normally taken to relate to nationality not geographical location, so I disagree with your comment thereon.

If they win the referendum (50/50 IF), Scots will be of Scottish nationality and possibly British too, if dual nationality is allowed. Whether or not they will be able to acquire dual British/Scottish nationality remains to be seen... whatever the politicians say.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    English
    Then East Anglian
    British last
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I'm English first and foremost.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    And Scotland will continue to be part of Britain even if they choose to become a separate country from the UK.

It is in the british Isles so some people would quite rightly consider themselves british.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    It is in the british Isles so some people would quite rightly consider themselves british.

Mostly "NO" voters! :D
    Forum Member
    I live in England, I am Yorkshire born and bred BUT I consider myself to be british not English or Yorkshire.
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Me, Northerner born and bred! :D

Also I am British and English politically and ethinically, also European geographically and ethnically.

However
    - British is normally taken to relate to nationality not geographical location, so I disagree with your comment thereon.

If they win the referendum (50/50 IF), Scots will be of Scottish nationality and possibly British too, if dual nationality is allowed. Whether or not they will be able to acquire dual British/Scottish nationality remains to be seen... whatever the politicians say.

That is exactly what I've been wanting to hear! :)