Options

Texting while driving

Comments

• Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kazz_x wrote: »
    My boyfriend gives me a massive telling off if I'm texting and driving. It's his pet hate too. One of the guys he works with does it all the time as well. Both me and his mate are still alive and neither of us have come even close to an accident yet. If I'm honest I don't do it often but find it incredibly easy. But then again, I'm 18, I can send a perfectly spelt and grammatically correct text with my eyes shut... although I wouldn't do that driving. I am trying to stop though.

Maybe when you've grown up a bit you'll realise what you're doing is completely dangerous and potentially life threatening. If you want to kill yourself that's no skin off my nose but the thought that you could snuff out the life of a loved one of mine through your own ignorance fills me with disgust. Well done at trying to stop though, although why you should have to "try" is beyond me.
  • Options
    Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Maybe when you've grown up a bit you'll realise what you're doing is completely dangerous and potentially life threatening. If you want to kill yourself that's no skin off my nose but the thought that you could snuff out the life of a loved one of mine through your own ignorance fills me with disgust. Well done at trying to stop though, although why you should have to "try" is beyond me.

Saying try was a poor choice of words. And yes, the reason I'm stopping is because I'm growing up. I will not deny that I am a bit self involved and immature and don't normally think about what the results of my actions will be. But lately I have realised how much I can hurt people by acting like this and I am finally maturing. There is a lot more to it than that anyway that I'm not comfortable going into.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Saying try was a poor choice of words. And yes, the reason I'm stopping is because I'm growing up. I will not deny that I am a bit self involved and immature and don't normally think about what the results of my actions will be. But lately I have realised how much I can hurt people by acting like this and I am finally maturing. There is a lot more to it than that anyway that I'm not comfortable going into.

Hope your not giving up texting so you have hands free for applying makeup etc etc. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well thats good. Imagine how bad you'd feel if something awful happened!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I find texting while driving quite easy. Not sure what all the fuss is about
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive a few times had near misses because someone has been on their phone either texting or talking. Ive always said if one of these numptys ever hits my car and im ok enough to get out of my car, then I will shove their phone somwhere only a doctor could retrive it.

Its my pet hate, its bloody dangerous.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both me and his mate are still alive and neither of us have come even close to an accident yet

Glad you're stopping though :)
    Henderson wrote: »
    Its no worse than altering the radio, or sat nav. Gets pretty easy after a bit of practise...
    Upanatem87 wrote: »
    I find texting while driving quite easy. Not sure what all the fuss is about

As for you two, people also found driving when drunk quite easy as well, back when it was more 'socially acceptable'. Still, as long as you haven't killed or seriously injured anyone yet, I'm sure it's completely fine and sensible. Maybe you should try closing your eyes on the motorway. After all, if you don't kill anyone the first time you do it, then it's completely safe. What's the fuss?
  • Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Glad you're stopping though :)

As for you two, people also found driving when drunk quite easy as well, back when it was more 'socially acceptable'. Still, as long as you haven't killed or seriously injured anyone yet, I'm sure it's completely fine and sensible. Maybe you should try closing your eyes on the motorway. After all, if you don't kill anyone the first time you do it, then it's completely safe. What's the fuss?

That would be silly...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henderson wrote: »
    That would be silly...

so are your arguments for texting and driving. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    But a ringing mobile is so insistent...

No it isn't. I'd like to see fewer excuses and more commitment to safety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im not arguing...
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

I agree. Only a selfish fool would deliberately distract themselves from driving long enough to send a text message.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no excuse for texting or using a phone while driving. If you have to, stop the car, turn your engine off and then use the phone.

Some people seem to forget that their car is a 2 tonne lethal weapon. And it pisses me right off that these people are allowed on the road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back when mobile use while driving was still legal I found myself on foot walking down a narrow London back street where a driver was holding a phone conversation while trying to perform a three-point turn.

I just stood back and watched this act of colossal stupidity and selfishness. Although there was a pavement on either side I knew I would be needlessly compromising my own safety if I tried to walk past the scene.

Eventually after many changes of gear and adjustments of attitude on the road, the driver succeeded in turning the car around and drove off, still yacking on the phone.

Had she stopped her car for a few minutes on that quiet street, she could have completed her call in safety, turned the car around, and continued on her way. She might even have noticed the presence of pedestrians passing by, safely, on the pavements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back when mobile use while driving was still legal I found myself on foot walking down a narrow London back street where a driver was holding a phone conversation while trying to perform a three-point turn.

I just stood back and watched this act of colossal stupidity and selfishness. Although there was a pavement on either side I knew I would be needlessly compromising my own safety if I tried to walk past the scene.

Eventually after many changes of gear and adjustments of attitude on the road, the driver succeeded in turning the car around and drove off, still yacking on the phone.

Had she stopped her car for a few minutes on that quiet street, she could have completed her call in safety, turned the car around, and continued on her way. She might even have noticed the presence of pedestrians passing by, safely, on the pavements.

Did she hit anybody?
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I dont agree with texting and driving. Dont see anything wrong with talking on a phone whilst driving, its no different from talking to a passenger.

I would certainly answer the phone whilst driving. It doesnt hamper my driving.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the law stopping people using their mobile while driving has actually made things more dangerous.

In my experience people now either text or make calls (speaker-phone) with the phone in their lap. The law has made it so people look down to make a call/text, so not only is it distracting, they take their eyes of the road to look down at their phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I think the law stopping people using their mobile while driving has actually made things more dangerous.

In my experience people now either text or make calls (speaker-phone) with the phone in their lap. The law has made it so people look down to make a call/text, so not only is it distracting, they take their eyes of the road to look down at their phone.

Well that's pretty silly. don't they realise that if they cause an accident the police will check whether they were on the phone at the time?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that's pretty silly. don't they realise that if they cause an accident the police will check whether they were on the phone at the time?!

they only thing they will do is check the call log. Delete the call from the log. They may take it further if some says they were on the phone. If the phone is on speaker and on the lap/dashboard they wouldnt know. So wouldnt bring it to the polices attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    they only thing they will do is check the call log. Delete the call from the log. They may take it further if some says they were on the phone. If the phone is on speaker and on the lap/dashboard they wouldnt know. So wouldnt bring it to the polices attention.

Oops, my mistake. I thought they always check phone records now in accidents in case a driver was on the phone at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What we need are accessories that allow you to use your phone handsfree. They could be made legal in law and everyone could have their important phone calls without endangering other road users and breaking the law.

Hang on.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we need are accessories that allow you to use your phone handsfree. They could be made legal in law and everyone could have their important phone calls without endangering other road users and breaking the law.

Hang on.....

Do knew cars supply these as standard? I also think maybe they should be made a legal requirement in older cars. Maybe at the MOT you have to have a hands free kit to pass? Although I guess that would be a bit unfair on those who didn't have mobile phones. Back to the drawing board...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oops, my mistake. I thought they always check phone records now in accidents in case a driver was on the phone at the time.

I dont think they do. Even if they did, nothing to stop you saying, that you left the phone at home, and someone else was using the phone. Alternatively the passenger was using the phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think they do. Even if they did, nothing to stop you saying, that you left the phone at home, and someone else was using the phone. Alternatively the passenger was using the phone.

Can't most phones be tracked though now? Sorry I'm asking loads of daft questions. Just seems like you would think the police would check these things, as the driver of one car could say "He was on his phone when he hit us" and the other driver would say "No i wasn't" etc. The driver on the phone could be sly enough to realise what they've done though after the smash and quickly delete the call log/delete sent messages. Just seems daft that the Police would leave it at that rather than do all they could to investigate the true situation. I guess independent witnesses (if there were any) could state whether said driver was on the phone (if the driver didn't have the phone in their lap etc).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hang on.....

The endangering part is somewhat of a myth, started by government to allow them to be able to make money. Sure there are studies that show using a phone will mean you pay less attention to the road. However its no different than talking to a passenger. If it really was that serious, why impose a petty £60? Why not a £1000, £2000. If the government really wanted to stamp it out, then there would be big fines, and not £60. £60 is just enough to make people feel like its worth the risk. Which is what the government want, so they can get more money from motorists.

Is there really that big a difference between handsfree, and pressing the speaker button when you receive a call?

Dialling a number, I am not too keen on that, even if its on speed dial. Not something I would do whilst driving.