Options

Petition to get Laurel and Hardy back on TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
For decades upon decades, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy's brand of humour have been the inspiration behind many of today's (and yesterday's) comedians. Today, almost 100 years since they first graced our screens, their movies are still loved worldwide by audiences of all ages. So why aren't they shown on TV any more? It seems the executives who commission TV programmes for terrestrial television think people have forgotten Laurel and Hardy and that they wouldn't attract enough viewers to justify showing them. Let's prove them wrong. We need at least 20,000 signatures on this petition to prove that the public want to see Laurel and Hardy films on terrestrial television again. Even if it's only during holidays like Christmas, Easter, Summer etc. Don't let future generations miss out on the works of Laurel and Hardy.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/please-show-laurel-and-hardy-on-tv-again-so-future/

Comments

• Options
    DoosanDoosan Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see it happening but yes they were the best at that type of comedy, and way before their time.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I've signed it!!:):):):):)
    Ian.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise they were still going
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doosan wrote: »
    I can't see it happening.

The BBC have already shown an interest.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how to say this......but they're DEAD!!:o
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could have a programme devoted to today's L + H; the Two Eds. Millibland and Balls.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How weird since on Boxing Day I was saying it's a shame they don't show those L&H classics anymore particularly at Christmas. I remedied it by watch Way Out West afterwards of course. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoKNCBxyce4

Edit: Signed the petition.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,606
    Forum Member
    Yes, this is a shame. Surely they could be slotted into the BBC4 schedule somewhere...how about when Top of the Pops 1977/78 was presented by Jimmy Saville or DLT?!
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Depends on who owns the rights.

You have to pay to broadcast, and with all the movie company mergers etc rights can be tricky.

It's not just a question of saying "I want to see this so someone must be able to show it".
    Just watch Top Gear on Dave when they go to a workshop and say "cue the music" you don't get the "Theme from the A-Team", you get some generic orchestral movie type march music which presuably is much cheaper.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Aparently Life On Mars suffered with this when it was repeated on satellite channels
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Last I heard, it had something to do with a dispute between who owns what. Until it's resolved, L&H will remain off the screens.
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As of March 2012, Sonar Entertainment own the rights in the US, where as Universal Pictures have held the UK rights for sometime as they've released the box set of all the Roach Studios films.

At one point 20th Century Fox and MGM owned the rights to some of the films unsure to whether or not they still do.

Reading on other sites, it looks like UCLA are currently restoring the films which could be one reason why they've not been shown as some networks may wait for these restored versions to broadcast.
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    How weird since on Boxing Day I was saying it's a shame they don't show those L&H classics anymore particularly at Christmas. I remedied it by watch Way Out West afterwards of course. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoKNCBxyce4

Edit: Signed the petition.

Snap! I was thinking about L & H over Christmas and wondering if we'd ever get to see them on the Beeb again.

Harold Lloyd was another fave of mine. :)
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    linnylou wrote: »
    Snap! I was thinking about L & H over Christmas and wondering if we'd ever get to see them on the Beeb again.

Harold Lloyd was another fave of mine. :)

I've just bought the complete set of Laurel and Hardy long and short films on DVD this Christmas. Well worth the buy.:):):):)::)
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mattyb wrote: »
    As of March 2012, Sonar Entertainment own the rights in the US, where as Universal Pictures have held the UK rights for sometime as they've released the box set of all the Roach Studios films.

At one point 20th Century Fox and MGM owned the rights to some of the films unsure to whether or not they still do.

Reading on other sites, it looks like UCLA are currently restoring the films which could be one reason why they've not been shown as some networks may wait for these restored versions to broadcast.

I'm admin/founder of the Laurel and Hardy forum and can confirm that CCA (in Germany) own the European rights to the 'Roach' Laurel and Hardy films. They even have Laurel and Hardy films available in HD. These HD versions been shown on French television and were very well received. I've spoken to CCA and they've confirmed it would be pretty straight forward if any broadcasters in Europe wanted to show Laurel and Hardy on TV. It's pretty much a case of, 'pay for them and you can show them'. I've also spoken to the BBC and they are watching our petition closely. I've been assured that if there is enough demand, they will listen and act on it. I've licenced Laurel and Hardy films from CCA before, They also run the official Laurel and Hardy website and have put a link to our petition there.

Despite what some others have said in this thread, I can assure you all that our petition will be taken seriously and there's no complicated 'copyright' issues or ownership disputes to deter us from being successful. We simply need names on the petition to show that there is a demand for Laurel and Hardy films on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    It's not just a question of saying "I want to see this so someone must be able to show it".

We're not suggesting it is. Before setting up the petition we did all the necessary ground work to make sure we weren't wasting our time.
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I've just bought the complete set of Laurel and Hardy long and short films on DVD this Christmas. Well worth the buy.:):):):)::)
    Ian.

I saw them in HMV and was debating about buying them. I might just treat myself.

Enjoy your L & H time :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could make the same case for Charlie Chaplin's movies too.

It would be perfect for BBC4 or Sky Arts
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I'm admin/founder of the Laurel and Hardy forum and can confirm that CCA (in Germany) own the European rights to the 'Roach' Laurel and Hardy films. They even have Laurel and Hardy films available in HD. These HD versions been shown on French television and were very well received. I've spoken to CCA and they've confirmed it would be pretty straight forward if any broadcasters in Europe wanted to show Laurel and Hardy on TV. It's pretty much a case of, 'pay for them and you can show them'. I've also spoken to the BBC and they are watching our petition closely. I've been assured that if there is enough demand, they will listen and act on it. I've licenced Laurel and Hardy films from CCA before, They also run the official Laurel and Hardy website and have put a link to our petition there.

Despite what some others have said in this thread, I can assure you all that our petition will be taken seriously and there's no complicated 'copyright' issues or ownership disputes to deter us from being successful. We simply need names on the petition to show that there is a demand for Laurel and Hardy films on TV.

Good news then !!

Well done for thinking things through - wish a few more on DS were more like you.

Abbott and Costello meet Captain Kidd was on early hours on BBC2 (I have indigestion so cannot sleep tonight !!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all who have signed so far. We appreciate your support.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I wonder how this petition got on? It seems looking through the thread the BBC where keeping a close watch on this. It doesn't look promising by the lack of replies from the OP since December 2012 but myself and I'm sure many other L&H fans in the UK would love to see Stan and Ollie back on BBC Two.

It also seems the CCA who now own the European rights to the Hal Roach L&H films are or where willing to let any UK broadcaster show them for a price. Perhaps their asking price was too high maybe, but I would love for the BBC to at least buy the rights and show a season of their films over Christmas, that way they would be getting good valule for money and with BBC Two showing early morning films every weekend now, there would or could be a regular slot for them to sit in.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I wonder how this petition got on? It seems looking through the thread the BBC where keeping a close watch on this. It doesn't look promising by the lack of replies from the OP since December 2012 but myself and I'm sure many other L&H fans in the UK would love to see Stan and Ollie back on BBC Two.

It also seems the CCA who now own the European rights to the Hal Roach L&H films are or where willing to let any UK broadcaster show them for a price. Perhaps their asking price was too high maybe, but I would love for the BBC to at least buy the rights and show a season of their films over Christmas, that way they would be getting good valule for money and with BBC Two showing early morning films every weekend now, there would or could be a regular slot for them to sit in.

Their last film was made in 1951, ie more than 60 years ago. I'm not sure there is really that much demand amongst the UK viewing public to see movies that old, other than true classics like Wizard of Oz or Gone with the Wind.

I like the idea posted above of people who are interested going out and buying the DVD set. For anyone who's interested, you can get DVD's with 10 of the films here for £25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laurel-Hardy-Feature-Film-Collection/dp/B005L920JY/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0/279-9536887-6217965

The bargain of the century.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    It's hard to believe, but this set:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1776220

has dived to a low of £20 before now. Zavvi used to stockpile them (literally) at that sort of price.

It contains all of the L&H classic output (for Hal Roach) bar about half-a-dozen films.
  • Options
    mill9mill9 Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ARTE showed some episodes earlier this year and they do a run every two or three years or something like that from my experience. To see this channel you will need a satellite dish for Astra1 or Hotbird and the French version to get English soundtrack where available. For me I must have seen every film or short episode they made several times and have many on DVD.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Their last film was made in 1951, ie more than 60 years ago. I'm not sure there is really that much demand amongst the UK viewing public to see movies that old

Surely more people would prefer to watch Laurel and Hardy than rubbish about spoilt middle class people buying houses or endless programmes about worthless antiques ?