Dyshidrotic Eczema on fingers and toes!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
Forum Member
I get this every couple months or so!! It's down to stress or changes in my lifestyle! Does anyone know any home remedies or things that calm it down as its painful on my toes :(
Thank you!

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest going to your pharmacist to ask what their advice is because they'll probably have a good range of medicative creams in stock. If they do recommend going to see your doctor then please do follow that advice. Good luck! :)
  • whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Hi Daisy,

I'm pretty sure this is what I have as well, also brought on due to stress. I tend to use sudocrem on it. It doesn't get rid of it but it seriously stops the itching, used to keep me up at night something awful. I'm just too embarrassed to show the doctor but if you can, probably best to see if they can prescribe something instead. If you can avoid it, don't burst the blisters!
  • Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dermovate cream's good or Elocon cream. Betnovate C is also good but sadly all are prescription only. I have the same condition on my fingers and all of the above work well for me.
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get this on my fingers, it's a chronic problem with me. I use mometasone furote occasionally which works but it's not recommended for long term use as it thins the skin so I better find another alternative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Ask the dr for double base gel, i suffer TERRIBLY from it all over my hands arms amd neck, got prescribed this two months ago and its cleared i just apply every morning after shower and it hasnt came back!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed Audavate and use Eurax for the itching
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed Audavate and use Eurax for the itching

Diprobase is good too.
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I've just been diagnosed with this awful eczema. Nearly 54 and have never had much as a cold sore in my life and now this. The doctor has given me fucibet but it's worse. I've started using apple cider vinegar today and sudicream. Fingers crossed (if I could cross them) that this improves greatly. Any update from the previous posters?
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get outbreaks of this between my fingers and sometimes on my palms. It itches and drives me bonkers and seems to start when I get very tired or stressed. Betnovate is the only thing that shifts it quickly, moisturisers work but slowly. Coal tar shampoo (like T-Gel) seems to calm it down too.
    Hydrocortisone creams work (a bit) for me but they thin the skin. I think Elocon and Dermovate fall into this category.
    Other than that it's just wait and try to chill.
  • mivimivi Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15/05/17 - 19:45 #11
    I've brought up this old thread to see if anyone else develops seasonal Dyshidrotic Eczema. For the last 6 or 7 years, at this time of year when the weather starts getting warmer without fail, my hands start developing lots of tiny little blisters that itch like hell. But when you scratch them, you don't get that sensation of relief, just a stinging pain :s

Because I knew it was going to happen, I have a tub of Hydromol Ointment for the night, and Palmer's Cocoa Butter hand cream for day time use. Thankfully it is not as serious as it has been in previous years, (perhaps to use of ointment and cream?).

I was just posting this on here to see if other struggle with their skin this time of year?
  • Eileen_Lindsay1Eileen_Lindsay1 Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Hi, I've found Aveeno cream quite good. I was originally give steroid cream by the gp but don't want to use it continually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Eileen. My Mum uses that & I tried some when I was last over there, and you're right, it is very good!
  • Vince_CBRVince_CBR Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I sometimes get eczema bad and once turned into impetigo (which is horrible). I tried all sorts of different creams. The steroid creams from the docs worked the best for me. I also slept in cotton gloves with moisturizer on in the night. The only problem with the steroid cream is can weaken the skin after prolonged use.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    It is the worst, those painful blisters drive me crazy. I expect it them to appear soon as the heat/summer makes my hands sweat.
    The only thing I've found that helps is not scratching ( v difficult I know) and like others have mentioned putting Sudocreme on the blisters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    It is the worst, those painful blisters drive me crazy. I expect it them to appear soon as the heat/summer makes my hands sweat.
    The only thing I've found that helps is not scratching ( v difficult I know) and like others have mentioned putting Sudocreme on the blisters.

Boots do a very good hydrocortisone cream that can be bought over the counter. I'm using that at the moment, and in combination with the moisturisers I mentioned above are keeping the blistering and itching in control.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a similar problem, but mine doesn't itch and it's only my fingertips. I get dry blisters that end up coming off, and it's like my fingerprints have peeled off! Underneath the 'blister', the skin is red raw and very new, and a new blister's forming already. Is this dyshidrotic eczema? I'm seeing a dermatologist in a couple of weeks (after a try at a fungal treatment (ew!), then 1% hydrocortisone and moisturiser for a few weeks with no improvement) but I just wondered. Mid-June feels like a year away, my fingertips are that sore.

Whatever I've got, best of luck with yours, all of you who've got it. x
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't all gone away (!), I have just seen this thread.

I sometimes get a rash of small itchy pimples. Often in the summer, but not all the time. My GP prescribed Hydrocortisone cream. This seems to do the trick and they go within a few days. More recently, my skin started flaking and peeling between my fingers and hands. This hadn't happened before, but I put some moisturising cream on and that also worked.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    edited 02/07/17 - 23:37 #20
    I get something my doctor calls exfoliative keratonisis. However it sounds simliar to what people describe above. It starts with little blisters which burst leaving the skin plasticised and peeling. The peeling looks as if I have been burned and it peels at an alarming rate. I only get it in the summer months and only on my hands. It seems to go in cycles and I would expect 3 or 4 breakouts between May and September. Once it has a hold it can get really sore; layer on layer peels leaving my skin cracked and eventually bleeding from tiny fissures.

For years I was prescribed aqueous cream which may have been making it worse. If it gets very bad I use a hydrocortison (Fucibet) but try to avoid because of the skin thinning and the risk of it eventually adding to the problem. The trick seems to be to get on top of it as soon as it starts to appear. I was referred to a dermatologist who recommeded handcreams containing Urea - which until recetly I got in Aldi. Others are available but Aldi was cheaper - sadly they no longer seem to do that cream. The same dermatologist also told me that if the skin was unbroken, weeing on my hands was something to try. I believe its the uric acid that is the active component and fresh urine is sterile. It seemed pretty ick so I didn't go that way until a month ago. When I did, it worked like a charm or appeared to. The skin improved within the first hour. I have only done it the once so it maybe that it had come to the end of its cycle and was about to recover anyway. But next break out I plan to try this again.