Options

Do I Or Don't I?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
Forum Member
I have been having what i now know to be anxiety attacks for the last 6-7 months, i have seen my doctor and he has advised me to take tablets to help these attacks.

When i read up about these tablets they are an antidepressent, im not really sure that i want to take medication at all if im honest as the attacks don't really interfere with my everyday life, although they are very scary.

Was just wondering has anyone else experianced anxiety attacks if so how do you manage it?

Comments

• Options
    whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Hi Percy, I recently got help for panic attacks but it took a hell of a long time to sort it. I was initially offered anti depressants too but had taken them a long time ago and they just aren't for me. Finally I got a doctor to agree to try me on beta blockers instead and I haven't had an attack for 2 months now.

Of course, everyone is different and some people don't need pills (a nurse suggested yoga) but mine were becoming more and more frequent and it had started to affect my everyday life. Apparently a lot of people manage to cope using relaxation/breathing techniques and there's loads of information about these online so that might be worth a look before you make a decision.

Good luck with whatever path you go down, I hope you manage to get your attacks under control.
  • Options
    Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the tablets Percy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffer from anxiety too, and citalopram (although an anti-depressant) has helped me. I also had 6 weeks of an anti-anxiety group which taught me techniques to deal with the anxiety and nip it in the bud before it causes major panic, I accessed this through my psychiatrist, I'm not sure if a GP could refer for something like this. CBT can be useful for anxiety by building up your ability to separate your thoughts and emotions, I've had that too and it was helpful.
    There are also a wide range of self-help books that can help you to deal with anxiety too. Good luck and I hope you can get some relief, as it can be very debilitating.
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I too suffer with anxiety,mine is health related.I am on anti depressants(oxactin) for mild bi-polar but it has done nothing for my anxiety.I convince my self I have some horrific disease and for me the worst bit is the feeling of impending doom.I am waiting to be refereed to a psychologist for cbt and I cant wait.These feeling's are horrific aren't they.Hope you get sorted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The attacks indeed are very scary! x
    They are getting more frequent I woke up during the night having an attack and I jus wish I could prevent them! x
    Thanku guys for your replys, definitely given me some hope that I can get through this! x

I can't even pinpoint what triggers them :cry:

Will definitely look into some of the things you guys have mentioned

Thanku x
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally they'll prescribe citalopram for anxiety attacks. It won't work for everyone. Research suggests that medication alongside a therapy is the best way to tackle anxiety.

CBT is known to be the best therapy for anxiety, but tends to be 8-12 sessions.

I'd definitely suggest CBT as it definitely turned things around for me anxiety-wise:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thankyou all for the responses x

And Striing, i guess your right if the mediation works, it prob shouldn't matter what other things its used for :) x
  • Options
    UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    If I were you I'd have a good Google session about the particular medication. Especially since you mention you aren't too badly affected in day to day life.

I feel as though anti-depressants could possibly help me in some ways but I'm not prepared to take, what I perceive, as the risk involved.

In the US anti depressants have a black box warning:

"On May 2, 2007, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ordered that all antidepressant medications carry an expanded black-box warning incorporating information about an increased risk of suicidal symptoms in young adults 18 to 24 years of age".

I've also read that the majority of people involved in cases of mass shooting etc are on some kind of medication. Whether that's true, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've also read that the majority of people involved in cases of mass shooting etc are on some kind of medication. Whether that's true, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with this statement, i know that you are only stating what you have read- and we all know that unless proven it should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    I have to agree with Striing on this:
    It may well be true that the majority of mass murderers are on medication but that doesn't mean the medication caused their actions

Im reluctant to take the tablets as i don't feel depressed or anxious about anything and really don't know what is causing these attacks, although i have had a rough time recently and im still not sure if things are going to be ok, maybe im worried about that- i don't know.

But yes your right i do need to google about what i can do to prevent these attacks and the medication that the doctor wants me to take.

Thankyou