Muslim staff working at M&S allowed to refuse sale of alcohol and pork

James_GrahamJames_Graham Posts: 259
Forum Member
At M&S, Muslim staff who do not wish to handle alcohol or pork have been told they can politely request that customers choose another till at which to pay.

At one of its stores in central London last week, customers waiting with goods that included pork or alcohol were told by a Muslim checkout worker to wait until another till became available. The assistant was extremely apologetic at having to ask customers to wait.

One customer, who declined to be named, said: “I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady, who was wearing a headscarf, was very apologetic but said she could not serve me. She told me to wait until another member of staff was available.

“I was taken aback. I was a bit surprised. I’ve never come across that before.”

Customers trying to buy alcoholic drinks for Christmas were also asked to wait.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10532782/Muslim-staff-at-Marks-and-Spencer-can-refuse-to-sell-alcohol-and-pork.html

So it's Christmas, everyone is running around busy. You do your shopping, you queue up to pay, you get to the front of the line only to be greeted by a Muslim who tells you your products are against his/her religion and you have to go and find another till.

There's something very, very wrong in this country.

I urge anyone who comes up against this to refuse to shop there. It is an utter disgrace.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe M&S should hire staff who aren't Muslims who could do a more complete job. I agree that this is unacceptable.

In the 21st century, people who believe in Santa, Fairies, Allah etc should not get the respect they are given.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    If people feel strongly about not handling certain things they shouldn't get jobs in shops that sell them. When I'm out shopping I'm absolutely not interested in indulging someone's religious preferences.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M&S sell pork and alcohol

if you don't want to handle them don't get a job there, simple

employers should be able to refuse jobs to people who want this sort of special teatment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can non-muslim staff refuse to handle Halal meat on animal welfare grounds?
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had Muslims in the UK for decades. This problem never arose before. Why now?
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that if I had queued up and finally got to the front to pay and the checkout girl told me to go and start again on another queue just because she disapproves of my purchases, I may go a bit ballistic. :(
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    We've had Muslims in the UK for decades. This problem never arose before. Why now?
    Islam is a proselytizing religion...go figure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    M&S won't want to pee off its customers - so which department are these people going to work then? Can't exactly put them in womens fashion - might offend their dress code, make up? - only if it contains muslim approved ingredients. Menswear er doubt it - husbands won't approve. Not much left then.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    I must admit that if I had queued up and finally got to the front to pay and the checkout girl told me to go and start again on another queue just because she disapproves of my purchases, I may go a bit ballistic. :(

Likewise.
  • James_GrahamJames_Graham Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »

Well, it's been a tradition for years to give the man of the match in football a bottle of champagne.

That has now been replaced by a plastic trophy because Muslim footballers complained that when they were deemed man of the match, they couldn't accept a bottle of booze.

So I suspect that now Islamic numbers are sufficiently strong in this country, that muscles are being flexed and trying to change our ways to suit their ways.

M&S has previous
    Shopper Sally Friday felt publicly humiliated at a branch of Marks & Spencer when she tried to pay for First Bible Stories as a gift for her young grandson.

When she put the book on the check-out counter, the young assistant refused to touch it, declared it was unclean and summoned another member of staff to serve instead.

Mrs Friday said she was so upset that she has now complained to the store’s management.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/31491/Outcry-as-Muslim-M-S-worker-refuses-to-sell-unclean-Bible-book
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The simple answer is to allow businesses in retail to allow the issue to arise in an interview. If a candidate has beliefs prohibiting them from doing the job they've applied for then they can be struck of the list.

This assumes we don't have over-riding laws from Brussels which prohibit the asking of such questions. Which would seem absurd to anyone with commonsense, but hey, you know Brussels.

Can you imagine this conversation?

INTERVIEWER: Can you drive this class of heavy goods vehicles?
    CANDIDATE: Yes, I have the appropriate qualifications.
    INTERVIEWER: Excellent
    CANDIDATE: But I joined a religious group last week and they forbid me to travel along 'A' roads.
    INTERVIEWER: No worries! Thanks to new laws we can accommodate you! Just park your lorry before reaching the 'A' road and we'll send someone along to drive the vehicle until it reaches another type of road!
  • James_GrahamJames_Graham Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Maybe M&S should hire staff who aren't Muslims

And then they would be done for discrimination.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's been a tradition for years to give the man of the match in football a bottle of champagne.

That has now been replaced by a plastic trophy because Muslim footballers complained that when they were deemed man of the match, they couldn't accept a bottle of booze.

Yet I see footballers being handed bottles of champagne for winning the MOTM on a weekly basis.

Let's not start making things up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then they would be done for discrimination.

In the context it isn't discrimination though is it. It's on the same basis i'd be discriminated against if I applied for a job at Kwik-fit but wasn't a mechanic. I'm simply not the best man for the job, and in this case, a muslim isn't the best candidate for the job.

Although I appreciate you agree, you're just pointing out what would be reported.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But checkout staff don't handle pork or alcohol ... they merely handle the containers holding these products.

So could a vegetarian checkout person refuse to handle any meat or fish at all ... and as for a vegan one! And presumably teetotal staff could refuse to handle alcohol, or any product containing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Can now refuse to serve you if you are purchasing alcohol or pork.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2527820/Marks-Spencer-tells-Muslim-staff-CAN-refuse-serve-customers-buying-alcohol-pork.html

Can the Muslim staff have a separate till all to themselves in that case? Because I don't want to have to go through loading all my items onto the counter, only to have them tell me they can't touch a sealed product because of what it contains on religious grounds. Such a fuss over nothing, and I wonder if they will allow the customer to just run it through the scanner themselves? It's hardly a difficult thing to do. :cry::kitty::cool:;-)>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    But checkout staff don't handle pork or alcohol ... they merely handle the containers holding these products.

So could a vegetarian checkout person refuse to handle any meat or fish at all ... and as for a vegan one! And presumably teetotal staff could refuse to handle alcohol, or any product containing it.

Exactly. When does a container equal the proscribed food/drink?

What about the shop itself? The shop contains the containers for the pork and drink. Should the Muslim refrain from entering the shop?
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Can now refuse to serve you if you are purchasing alcohol or pork.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2527820/Marks-Spencer-tells-Muslim-staff-CAN-refuse-serve-customers-buying-alcohol-pork.html

Can the Muslim staff have a separate till all to themselves in that case? Because I don't want to have to go through loading all my items onto the counter, only to have them tell me they can't touch a sealed product because of what it contains on religious grounds. Such a fuss over nothing, and I wonder if they will allow the customer to just run it through the scanner themselves? It's hardly a difficult thing to do. :cry::kitty::cool:;-)>:(
    Very good point.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Can non-muslim staff refuse to handle Halal meat on animal welfare grounds?
    Don't be silly, that would be "racist" and be grounds for instant dismissal.
  • tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    These people get everything there own way, tell themall to piss off
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Thsi really does open up a can of worms. Can Hindu staff at M&S now refuse to handle beef and Jewish staff also refuse to handle pork?

M&S should have told these staff members to join the 21st century.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I've been served by Muslims loads of times and they've never refused to scan my bacon.

I can't imagine they'd be allowed to refuse service to a normal (i.e non disruptive) customer, they'd probably just have to call someone over on the tannoy to scan it, a bit like under 18s when they have to scan alcohol because they can't legally 'sell' it.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Can I simply not care? As long as the retailer provides an adequate level of service, if they wish to allow their staff to make such choices then fair enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I've been served by Muslims loads of times and they've never refused to scan my bacon.

I can't imagine they'd be allowed to refuse service to a normal (i.e non disruptive) customer, they'd probably just have to call someone over on the tannoy to scan it, a bit like under 18s when they have to scan alcohol because they can't legally 'sell' it.

I've lived in a Muslim country before and they sold bacon and booze and smiled whilst doing it.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Can I simply not care? As long as the retailer provides an adequate level of service, if they wish to allow their staff to make such choices then fair enough.

I guess the issue is here that not serving people who wish to buy alcohol or pork is not an adequate level of service.

Where next. could vegetarian staff members refuse to serve any customers buying meat? Could catholic staff members refuse to serve people buying condoms?

Its a very slippery slope.