Options

Lost an election- Feeling really down.

Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone.

So I'm at uni and ran for a position on the committee for a society, and I got the news yesterday that I lost.

It's hard. There's no doubt I lost to someone very suitable to the job and I know it's not personal, but I still feel really sad about the whole thing. I was on the committee this academic year, so in particular going from someone of status to a mere "member" is the hardest thing.

The trouble is the whole society is like one big family. I've made so many meaningful and genuine friendships aside from just getting pissed, that I don't want to leave. But at the same time I'm worried this disappointment is going to be hanging over me during my last year, which I really don't want.

Sorry about the long post, but does anybody have any advice on how to deal with these feelings? There's not much online related to this kind of thing.

Comments

• Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Not the worst problem in the world though is it? You're a student aren't you, go and get pissed!
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    You could always run again, couldn't you?
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could always run for UKIP, they seem to accept anyone and seem to be popular no matter how many clangers they drop.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any reason why you can't still be very good friends with the people on the committee? You'll still be in the society after all.

Disappointment sucks but you'll feel better with a bit of time :)

If it cheers you up, I read the title of this thread as 'lost an erection'...
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member

So I'm at uni and ran for a position on the committee for a society, and I got the news yesterday that I lost.

<snipped>

The trouble is the whole society is like one big family. I've made so many meaningful and genuine friendships aside from just getting pissed, that I don't want to leave.

You've lost your position on the committee - it doesn't follow that you need to leave the society and lose the friendship of the other "mere members" or those on the committee.

^ Snap post #5 - beaten to the punch by two minutes ...
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you can't still be very good friends with the people on the committee? You'll still be in the society after all.

And I read it as 'lost an electron' - which, although a negative thing in itself, would probably have had a positive result overall... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    And I read it as 'lost an electron' - which, although a negative thing in itself, would probably have had a positive result overall... :D

Haha :D
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think of the positives. You can still remain a member of the society but you won't have to organise anything. This way you can concentrate on your coursework and just party the rest of the time. A win win situation.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With that experience of losing an election you are all set for a career in politics.

At school I stood for election as head boy and only got one vote (from myself!) but I got over it.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    that's life, move on.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »

...and take part in the society activities too. In addition, try to look upon it as a blessing in disguise (although you can't see it for that right now) so that you can concentrate on getting a good degree in your final year which will open up more career opportunities in the longer term (I always recommend this study and revision book).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and take part in the society activities too. In addition, try to look upon it as a blessing in disguise (although you can't see it for that right now) so that you can concentrate on getting a good degree in your final year which will open up more career opportunities in the longer term

Yeah I should have added this as well. I'm on a society committee as an events coordinator and also in my second year at University. Like hell am I being on the committee in my final year though, I'll have enough to do.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please God Ed Milliband will be contributing to this thread soon.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First world problems
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJonesSCFC wrote: »
    Not the worst problem in the world though is it? You're a student aren't you, go and get pissed!

Exactly. When you grow older you'll look back and see how insignificant this issue actually is in the scheme of things, trust me!
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did any one else read that as erection
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    First world problems

Yeah, cos all your moaning about pubs and supermarkets definitely isn't an example of that too ;)
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    Exactly. When you grow older you'll look back and see how insignificant this issue actually is in the scheme of things, trust me!

I have to agree, in fact in all my years at university I can't think of much I found less significant than these student elections etc I can think the only people that do care, are the ones in them...
  • Options
    Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least you can understand how David Cameron will feel.