The Big Bang Theory

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I like it, especially the bit where they have a go at the Apple Store geniuses :D I'll find the clip(s) tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was ever a cross over, I would love to see a scene between Sheldon and Barney Stinson.

Ted could battle with Leonard for Penny, Howard and Bernadette can discuss married life with Marshall and Lily and Raj can sit silently with Robin :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I only started watching TBBT a few weeks ago. I think I had probably ignored it before because I don't usually find US sitcoms funny. But this show is so different! I'm totally addicted to it now.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Just watched a new episode of TBBT on Channel 4 and Sheldon looks different. What happened to his hair, he now resembles Hitler!! He has also gained a fair bit of weight! Anyone else notice? Penny is no longer a stunning blonde!! The only one who looks the same is Leonard!!
    Forum Member
    Take out the laughter track, and then see how not funny the programme is. You only think it's funny because it goes like this:

"I got my Nintendo 64!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

"Oh my memory card is still here!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

"I have a PHD"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Molybdenum"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Big Bang Theory is filmed before a LIVE audience, so no "laughter track". If you get the DVDs on Special Features they often have a recording of the show and you can see the audience and the cast come out (like in a play) and bow to the audience after the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    I watched the un-aired pilot the other day. I'm glad they decided to change a lot of it because I don't think it would have lasted more than a season.

Thankfully they did and its one of my favourite tv shows at the moment. I could watch re-runs of it all day.

I agree I watched it on line and thought it was awful. I think Raj and Howard add so much to the show and Penny is brilliant. Felt sorry for the poor actress who was in the pilot as now she sees a hughly successful show and she is not in it. Her part was re-written! In the pilot Penny came across as a "working girl" hard as nails. I know we all say how wonderful Jim is as Sheldon but I sometimes think that other actors are marvelous and very overlooked. Leonard and Penny are brilliant. Howard and Bernie and his Mom from Hell, hilarious and Raj is wonderful as the shy desperate for a girl nerd!! Terrific cast!
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another comedy to use a character likely to have Asperger's, seems like it's becoming/might already be a comedy staple :rolleyes:

Jim Parsons is a good actor, but the writing is a little flat character development wise. Community and Alphas are much better in their writing and portrayal of characters with Asperger's/HFA.
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Except Sheldon doesn't have Asperger's. He definitely has social/communication issues but they've said several times they're not portraying an Asperger's character. Which is about right, since plenty things about him contradict it.
    Mal80 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if being a geek/nerd is basically the same as Asperger's. Both groups retreat from the real world by strongly focusing on escapist subjects (super heros etc) or subjects where they have full control (like science, maths, computing etc). The side effect being that they fail to develop emotionally, or at least take a long time to catch up with others.

Big Bang Theory is a step up from something like Friends, but it's not that clever. The product placement annoys me too... the characters are supposed to be clever scientist types, yet they consume all sorts of nasty fizzy drinks for example.

Being a parent of a child with Aspergers and being at the the forefront of arguing against discrimination, myths and misperceptions related to the condition, I can appreciate why some people might consider it distasteful. However, one of the marvelous abilities that many Aspie parents have, is that we can find humour and pathos in the idiosyncrasies of our own children, rather than how others perceive them of being odd or weird.

One of the things that I like about Sheldon is the fact that he doesn't give a damn about what people think of him. He knows his character is not received as one that would engender a lot of empathy, but he also knows that it doesn't matter. He is achieving his goals in his own way, he functions extremely well (although he also recognises he often needs help) and still has managed to maintain friendships and relationships on his own terms.

Does he portray a man with Aspergers? Certainly one who has difficulty in functioning to the perceived "norm," but, I would say not with many of the commonly presented attributes of someone who has full Aspergers Syndrome.

Remember, he is not crazy, his mother had him tested. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched a new episode of TBBT on Channel 4 and Sheldon looks different. What happened to his hair, he now resembles Hitler!! He has also gained a fair bit of weight! Anyone else notice? Penny is no longer a stunning blonde!! The only one who looks the same is Leonard!!

Maybe Mr Zinowski has gone into hospital again and Penny is still cutting his hair. :D

I too have have noticed that about Penny though. I think she has let herself go a bit. ;) It started at the beginning of series four.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree I watched it on line and thought it was awful. I think Raj and Howard add so much to the show and Penny is brilliant. Felt sorry for the poor actress who was in the pilot as now she sees a hughly successful show and she is not in it. Her part was re-written! In the pilot Penny came across as a "working girl" hard as nails. I know we all say how wonderful Jim is as Sheldon but I sometimes think that other actors are marvelous and very overlooked. Leonard and Penny are brilliant. Howard and Bernie and his Mom from Hell, hilarious and Raj is wonderful as the shy desperate for a girl nerd!! Terrific cast!

Or is he? ;)
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Maybe Mr Zinowski has gone into hospital again and Penny is still cutting his hair. :D

I too have have noticed that about Penny though. I think she has let herself go a bit. ;) It started at the beginning of series four.

I think after Jim Parson's wedding plans fell through (I think it was his boyfriend rather than him who broke it off although I might be completely wrong!!) he seemed to lose quite a lot of weight but looks to be filling out nicely again.

Not sure if people have watched these but they're brilliant - Sheldon & Amy interviewing each other and Leonard & Penny interviewing each other. You can so see that Johnny and Kaley still have a fabulously close relationship and that they have history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vauLfrz1oE&feature=g-vrec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDKJ5wIhihU&feature=relmfu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the un-aired pilot the other day. I'm glad they decided to change a lot of it because I don't think it would have lasted more than a season.

Thankfully they did and its one of my favourite tv shows at the moment. I could watch re-runs of it all day.

Having read this thread I have been prompted to watch that one myself. Even though I found it amusing, it would not have been anywhere as near as successful or entertaining as the finished article.
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    dory353 wrote: »
    Just started tuning in to this on E4 the past two weeks. Absolutely hilarious! Sheldon is comedy gold.

I just started watching this on E4 a few weeks ago ... absolutely addicted now :D

Sheldon is hilarious and I love Penny and Leonard!!

No surprise Jim Parsons has won Emmy's for his performance as Sheldon! Like you say, comedy gold!

I've watched season 1 and 2 over the last week - half way through season 3 :D

:D BAZINGA :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've an app on my phone called, "Sheldonisms." When I need cheering up, I read few and they set me off chuckling straightaway. :D
  • miss_sassymiss_sassy Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    There's an app with Sheldonisms??? I have got to get that :D

I only started watching this just a couple of months ago when I stumbled across it by accident and I have watched all of seasons 1-4 and part of season 5 (missed the first half which made it a little confusing in parts) and I LOVE it..

And actually it is just as funny without the live audience laughing - I had to watch one episode with the sound off and the subtitles on - (it was late at night) - although i did miss the sound of Shelly's voice :p
    Forum Member
    Adore the programme. Did not know that Jim's engagement was off and he was no longer getting married to his long term boyfriend. I think they were a couple for over 10 years. How sad. Feel awful now I said he gained weight!!!!!!! Poor guy. He is brilliant as Shelly, but so is his Mum, hiliarious as the Religious Nut from Texas. The cast is fantastic, so talented. I adore Penny and Lenord and Amy and Shelly. Howard and Raj are a riot as the odd couple and I love the guy who owns the comic book store. Very under-rated comic actor, in my opinion......
    Forum Member
    Or is he? ;)

Good point!!! Howard and Raj really are an odd couple!!!:rolleyes:
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When can we expect a new series to start again in the UK?
  • somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only started watching TBBT a few weeks ago. I think I had probably ignored it before because I don't usually find US sitcoms funny. But this show is so different! I'm totally addicted to it now.

I often am the last person to pick up on something which i initially dismissed without watching, the several seasons in, arrive late at the party and have to play catch-up. Family guy being another missed opportunity. Now loving the E4 episodes. Just wish they would show them in some sort of episode order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often am the last person to pick up on something which i initially dismissed without watching, the several seasons in, arrive late at the party and have to play catch-up. Family guy being another missed opportunity. Now loving the E4 episodes. Just wish they would show them in some sort of episode order.

You and me both. :D
  • FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    It's back on September 27th.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to say, Jim Parsons bulked up due to demands made on his body for a Broadway role, and his hair looks like Hitler as he is going bald and trying to disguise it. I speak from personal experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It's back on September 27th.

In the US. It's normally October/November on E4.

But this year Big Bang Theory has to prove itself, in my eyes, I've still not be able to persuade myself to watch the last episodes of last season. I'll watch the first two or three at US pace, but if they don't pull in, I won't watch the rest, if they do I'll watch the rest on E4...
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the US. It's normally October/November on E4.

But this year Big Bang Theory has to prove itself, in my eyes, I've still not be able to persuade myself to watch the last episodes of last season. I'll watch the first two or three at US pace, but if they don't pull in, I won't watch the rest, if they do I'll watch the rest on E4...

Phew what a relief. I really hope that they will pull out all the stops on the new series and can convince you to spend 22 mins at a time watching the episodes from this series that you have missed. Fingers crossed everyone this is a biggie, lets just hope and prey!
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This. Everybody`s motoring,and getting every laugh,there aren`t characters whose scenes and storylines bore you (as bis a fan I was of Friends,Monica`s storylines were a time for me to lose a little interest). They used to rely on Sheldon/nerd humour but it`s broadened out to Howard (brilliant update of Woody Allen,especially as he is a younger guy than the usual Jewish comedy shtick) and Raj,who to me are fast becoming the stars of the show.
    I love American comedy and when I started watching this thought it would run out of gas pretty quick,but if anything,it`s got better.