Options

DTT Transmitter Timetable

Comments

• Options
    goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    removed. I did mot notice date of original posting. duh!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Where's Reigate?

In Surrey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Here is the proposed time table for switching to Digital only
    ................(MAIN STATIONS in CAPS)
    DATE....................STATION...................REGION.
    Oct-2007.......... Whitehaven................Borders
    Nov-2008 .........SELKIRK......................Borders

Nov-2008 .........SELKIRK......................Borders
    Apr-2009 ..........BEACON HILL..............SW England

About the first two above DSO switch overs.

Is it known why there will be a 13 month gap between the two dates. Surely if for testing it would not take 13 months. Maybe 1 or 2 weeks, but not 13 months.

This gap in time is holding back the uk dso swichover timetable. Little wonder the timetable is being dragged out. For this uneeded 1 year and 1 month gap.

Then you notice even the next two is a 5 month gap. Thereafter its one or two each month. Why not one or two each month from the first dso switchover.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Leeds, Yorkshire - (All Areas) May 2011
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    How sad. So TV news this morning and DS in their news stories have details of the new "switchover postcode checker" at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ which is all very slick and fancy. Only thing is it's telling me that amongst other things I can receive ABC1 and FTN?!?

You'd have thought that if they knew it was to be launched today they'd have made sure the channel list was up to date on launch day.
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well That's it started now
    Next switch off, 14th November
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I take it it will be the terrestrial channels in Whitehaven
    I did hear that less than 2000 homes were ready

Out of 25.000 that is not bad - 4 percent
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Selkirk next for switchover

6 November 2008
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    digi-tv wrote: »
    About the first two above DSO switch overs.

Is it known why there will be a 13 month gap between the two dates. Surely if for testing it would not take 13 months. Maybe 1 or 2 weeks, but not 13 months.

This gap in time is holding back the uk dso swichover timetable. Little wonder the timetable is being dragged out. For this uneeded 1 year and 1 month gap.

Then you notice even the next two is a 5 month gap. Thereafter its one or two each month. Why not one or two each month from the first dso switchover.

Does anyone know the reason for such huge gaps in the switchover timetable. I'm pissed off with there being such large gaps. What are they planning to do in these big gaps. besides getting paid for doing sweet F'All.

Its not like theres a rush to ensure we have digital many months earlier. Meanwhile we are are all low power from our local transmitters.

Digital is poorly mismanaged, and the government is pushing everyone to get it now. What a bloody farce digital tv switchover is turning out to be.

Meanwhile i see its not 2011 or 2012 last switchover its now 2013. Showing the levels of incompetance that are Aquiva, and all other switchover mangements that are in charge of the digital switchover.

Can someone here find out what the big hold ups are for.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know the reason for such huge gaps in the switchover timetable. I'm pissed off with there being such large gaps. What are they planning to do in these big gaps. besides getting paid for doing sweet F'All.

Its not like theres a rush to ensure we have digital many months earlier. Meanwhile we are are all low power from our local transmitters.

Digital is poorly mismanaged, and the government is pushing everyone to get it now. What a bloody farce digital tv switchover is turning out to be.

Meanwhile i see its not 2011 or 2012 last switchover its now 2013. Showing the levels of incompetance that are Aquiva, and all other switchover mangements that are in charge of the digital switchover.

How long would it take you to refit 1100 transmitters with new equipment, electrical supplies and in some cases rebuild the mast?

Working at a rate of one a day including weekends would take 3 years.

Then you need a new distribution system to feed all those transmitters with the right signals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meanwhile i see its not 2011 or 2012 last switchover its now 2013.

It's always been 2013 - but that's for the Channel Islands, the rest of the network is switched over by (mid?) 2012.

Probably due to re-engineering, distribution of a second set of multiplexes post-DSO (with mode and channel changes), some leeway in case of unforeseen problems at Whitehaven, advance notice and marketing for the next region, transmitter network planning finalisation and potential additional international clearance, transmission company engineers also working on big DAB rollouts (for 4digital and local multiplexes), equipment supply and delivery, hesitation by Ofcom over how many multiplexes transmitters will get (DDR spectrum, HDTV) etc etc etc and that's just off the top of my head.

I don't think there are any hold-ups, none of the dates have changed since they were officially announced. The 1-year gap was always there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    It's always been 2013 - but that's for the Channel Islands, the rest of the network is switched over by (mid?) 2012.

Probably due to re-engineering, distribution of a second set of multiplexes post-DSO (with mode and channel changes), some leeway in case of unforeseen problems at Whitehaven, advance notice and marketing for the next region, transmitter network planning finalisation and potential additional international clearance, transmission company engineers also working on big DAB rollouts (for 4digital and local multiplexes), equipment supply and delivery, hesitation by Ofcom over how many multiplexes transmitters will get (DDR spectrum, HDTV) etc etc etc and that's just off the top of my head.

I don't think there are any hold-ups, none of the dates have changed since they were officially announced. The 1-year gap was always there.

In some cases where actual antennae needs looked at and or changed, repaired, and installed,
    on main stations you're talking several 100's of feet with no lift
    (except Emley Moor, God bless Emley Moor and all who sail in her:cool:)
    work can only take place in the summer months or at least when the air is settled
    so work can take place. It's cold up there, even in the summer;).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In some cases where actual antennae needs looked at and or changed, repaired, and installed,
    on main stations you're talking several 100's of feet with no lift
    (except Emley Moor, God bless Emley Moor and all who sail in her:cool:)
    work can only take place in the summer months or at least when the air is settled
    so work can take place. It's cold up there, even in the summer;).

And some sites are getting everything put onto a temporary mast while the main one is rebuilt or whatever...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SELKIRK..........Borders.........Nov-2008
  • Options
    Anti-StaticAnti-Static Posts: 273
    Forum Member

Maybe you could do a bit of research;
    Firstly, find a manufacturer that can supply you with at least 4000 low power digital TV transmitters.
    Then look for somebody that can supply new antennas & feeders for all the main stations in the UK.
    Also you will need new high power transmitters for all the main stations, that's 6 per site (min).
    Now find the workforce to do all this throughout the UK.

Oh and one other point. During the entire project you musn't loose service on any of the analogue services, the current DTT services or any of the VHF radio customers.
    You want me to go on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, find a manufacturer that can supply you with at least 4000 low power digital TV transmitters.
    Then look for somebody that can supply new antennas & feeders for all the main stations in the UK.
    Also you will need new high power transmitters for all the main stations, that's 6 per site (min).
    Now find the workforce to do all this throughout the UK.

Oh and one other point. During the entire project you musn't loose service on any of the analogue services, the current DTT services or any of the VHF radio customers.
    You want me to go on?

Couldn't have put it better myself;):cool:
  • Options
    Anti-StaticAnti-Static Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    It really Pees me off when people just think that DSO means 'Turning Off analogue and turning up the power on the digital kit'. If only it was that simple, it could be completed in a week!
  • Options
    reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want me to go on?
    Couldn't have put it better myself;):cool:

But you could easily have continued ... continued .... continued ..... :yawn: :yawn:

DSO is not an easy job !
  • Options
    digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really Pees me off when people just think that DSO means 'Turning Off analogue and turning up the power on the digital kit'. If only it was that simple, it could be completed in a week!

Thank you!

Some parts of the UK there are HUGE problems in receiving analogue, never mind making digital available.
    North Wales where I used to Live we constantly suffered interference, TV blackouts, cross channel problems...
    The LLandonna Transmitter upped the power of the digital signal when Freeview came to life.
    This interfered with S4C and BBC2 on the local analogue only relay...
    Even without this you had days where low hanging clouds and shiny wet mountain sides reflected the analogue signal back on itself, and into the digital that other regions usually got with no cross channel interference...
    There were loads of small relays to ensure that pockets of low lying land and areas overshadowed by cliffs received TV.
    Just ensuring that all those relays could repeat the digital signal to one another will be a mamouth task in itself! Never minding the possible interference and signal losses where the somewhat weaker digital signal gets bounced off wet mountains...
    I am sure that many other areas of the country have this complex arrangement and all of these places together - well...
  • Options
    Dave_EDave_E Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following London's switchover in 2012, am I right in saying that the only terrestrial analogue service still in operation will be that in the lovely Channel Islands?? If so, what is the likelihood that the UK government might go "stuff that, they can look after themselves"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave_E wrote: »
    Following London's switchover in 2012, am I right in saying that the only terrestrial analogue service still in operation will be that in the lovely Channel Islands?? If so, what is the likelihood that the UK government might go "stuff that, they can look after themselves"?

Who knows but hey! it's only Television and there's always French TV:cool:
    Here's a few to be going on with

www.tf1.fr
    www.france2.fr
    www.france3.fr
    www.france4.fr
    www.france5.fr
    www.france24.com/france24Public/fr/nouvelles/monde.html
    www.mcm.net
    www.mezzo.tv
    www.tps.fr/index_p.php?step=none
    www.13emerue.fr/13emerue/cache
    www.planete.tm.fr
    www.rtl9.com
    www.comedie.com
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave_E wrote: »

The Channel Islands get DSO in March 2013 and the ITU have already allocated the frequencies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Channel Islands get DSO in March 2013 and the ITU have already allocated the frequencies.

But can he still watch French TV?:p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But can he still watch French TV?:p:D

with a secam TV and a freeview box that is compatible I guess he can watch both! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On an unrelated analogue matter...
    Anyone noticed that terrestrial analogue TV no longer broadcasts a widescreen picture?
    I noticed about 2 years ago in London but not in wales and more recently on a visit to wales noticed that widescreen had disappeared...
    The Teletext Services have been watered down so thin that they are threadbare on BBC2 as well...