Options

Regenerations used up... What next?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    When the show relaunched, I always expected some tweaking to established mythology, like, for example, the Cybermen origin. Even if the modern series chose not to address the twelve regeneration limit, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. And don't forget Troughton saying in war games that his people had found a way to live forever, barring accidents. So technically, I think they can choose not address the limit and it would still be canon.

Who knows? It was established at some point that the Master was given a new set of regenerations. Who's to say that Hurt's Doctor wasn't given the same prize in his regeneration to Eccelson at the climax of the time war?
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mystery solved. And confirms what's been said in a few posts of this thread. :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suspect Moffat to have planned out how to get around it, but not to reveal it until Capaldi is going to leave, apart from planting a few bits such as the sisterhood of course. Maybe even have the Doc acknowledge it and use it as an arc
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere** that the-number-of-regenerations issue is going to be dealt with in the Christmas episode.

**this week, but I can't for the life of me remember where:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    I read somewhere** that the-number-of-regenerations issue is going to be dealt with in the Christmas episode.

SM has confirmed this, Peter is the 12th DOCTOR and the 13th Regen. ie the 14th incarnation of the time lord.
    So where does peter get a new life cycle ?
    The key thing is what david did with the excess regen energy and that river didn't give him enough to regen, just fix the problem, and then there was John.
    regens, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,J,9,10,10,11,12

Try Gallifrey Base..........lol
  • Options
    jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »

Not read that but there has been a lot of chat from people connected to the show about the limit, even neil Gaiman. I reckon this has happened deliberately to help get the idea of a regen limit out there as it is being dealt with in one of the two specials. Outside of the core fan base there may not be knowledge of a regeneration limit at all
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The meta crisis doctor counts. The doctor healed himself and a duplicate was generated.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    The meta crisis doctor counts. The doctor healed himself and a duplicate was generated.

So what will become of the metacrisis double? will he ever become part of the story again?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    So what will become of the metacrisis double? will he ever become part of the story again?

Lets hope not.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Lets hope not.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Lets hope not.

Well, if it were handled in a more tasteful way then before I wouldn't be opposed to his return. Would be a good future excuse for Tennant to come back.... But on the whole it was a rather silly storyline.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they ever bring Handy back they should make him a Villain.

Something has gone wrong in Pete's World (possibly due to Handy) and most of the population of the World including Rose have been killed off.

Handy breaks back into the main Whoverse so he can steal the TARDIS which would give him the ability to go back in time and save Rose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    if they ever bring Handy back they should make him a Villain.

Something has gone wrong in Pete's World (possibly due to Handy) and most of the population of the World including Rose have been killed off.

Handy breaks back into the main Whoverse so he can steal the TARDIS which would give him the ability to go back in time and save Rose.

If it was done right I wouldn't be opposed to that at all, The Doctor Vs Evil Doctor, would be interesting

Also, In regards to the regen limit, I wouldn't be surprised if moffat threw it at us in The Day of The Doctor, theres a lot of battle in the trailer, a lot of Time Lords dying, will we see other regenerations or what happens at the end of a regen cycle? Maybe answer the question ahead of Matts departure? Or at the very least it will be brought up to get the question going in Casual viewers minds.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was done right I wouldn't be opposed to that at all, The Doctor Vs Evil Doctor, would be interesting

Also, In regards to the regen limit, I wouldn't be surprised if moffat threw it at us in The Day of The Doctor, theres a lot of battle in the trailer, a lot of Time Lords dying, will we see other regenerations or what happens at the end of a regen cycle? Maybe answer the question ahead of Matts departure? Or at the very least it will be brought up to get the question going in Casual viewers minds.

Thats a good point as people will be wondering how Pete's Doctor will come as the regen limit has happened. Then in the Christmas special they will reveal how the issue can be got round so 12 will happen!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best thing, from Pons Alias @ GB
    Here's how I rationalise it:

- You buy a box of Thirteen battery-driven Doctor figures.
    - You also get a pack of thirteen batteries with the box.
    - You can only use a battery once - you can put it into the figure, but you can't take it out or recharge it.
    - You can't get any more batteries once they're all used up.

So -

* You use the first battery to power your first Doctor figure.
    * The battery runs out after many years, so the figure is useless and you throw it and the battery away..

* You crack open the second figure - it looks different, but that's OK. That breaks after a few years, so you open the third.

* The same applies for the 4th - 8th figures.

* After the eight figure breaks, your friend has some battery powered soldier figures and he has one spare.
    * He gives you a soldier figure - and an adapter that miraculously lets one of your batteries work in it.

* So you've used nine batteries and have had eight doctor figures and one soldier figure. (You keep the soldier in a different box.)

* You play with the soldier for 16 years, then you come back to the doctor figures.

* You use Nine for a bit, but it refuses to work after a while, so you open the tenth.

* So far it's Ten Doctor figures, one Soldier figure - Eleven batteries.

* You really like this one and you're gutted when it breaks down. Luckily, it's made slightly differently so you can find a way of putting a second battery into it - making it last longer.

* Now it's Ten Doctor figures. One Soldier figure. But TWELVE batteries.

* You have one battery left - and you have three Doctor figures left.

* You put the final battery into the eleventh doctor figure.

* After this dies, although you've got a couple of Doctors left in the box, that you could theoretically play with, you've got no batteries left to put in them.

So - you need to stop playing with Doctors, find a way of either getting more batteries, more Doctors or ideally both. Luckily, the local toy shop, "Moffpaldi's" has some stuff in which might help....
  • Options
    marshal.beejmarshal.beej Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    After watching the Night of the Doctor I think the regen limit was reset/removed.
    As the Doctor is dead and is resurrected for 4mins and then regeneration is triggered. The regeneration between 8 and War Doctor is now the 1st regen
  • Options
    WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that now Gallifrey has gone, the regeneration limit is also null and void. Didn't the Time Lords impose the limit themselves - ergo no Time Lords, no regeneration limit. Also, if the Dr is half human [ducks] then who knows what the regeneration limit might be!