iOS 6 Thoughts?

Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
Forum Member
Just downloaded the GM version which is allegedly the one all being well will be released on the 19th to the public.

Anyway going round the OS clearly a few refinements have been made, facebook and twitter have been better integrated allowing posting of statuses from the notification centre/bar.

MY biggest gripe though is the speed, maybe its me but it seems a bit laggy, the new maps application leaves alot to be desired, it has some fancy new gimmicks at the expense of speed however, I find that it lags somewhat when using flyover or satellite mode, where as comparatively google maps didn't.

For the record I am using this on the iPad 3 so dated hardware shouldn't really be an issue with this....

I am concerned that apple seems to have added far more bloat than needed for what gain? A gimmicky new maps application along with integrated Siri and facebook functionality?

Prior to this iOS 5.1 ran very smoothly, rarely any lag and generally was a robust device, maybe I am judging too harshly I don't know, it might need the masses to help Apple iron out further performance problems.

But overall its a nice upgrade if you like your gimmicks but it makes my ipad run just that little more laggy (oh and this was done from a fresh restore).

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which device do you have?

Apple have always made older devices seem laggy with the latest iOS of the moment. When iOS 5 came out the 3G was laggy as hell moving between home screen pages! It needed a 3GS to feel half decent.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Which device do you have?

iPad 3

You would think they would actually spent some time quality testing the software they release. Yes they have beta testing, but some how when compared to a certain robotic operating system it doesn't seem as well polished?
    Forum Member
    Also if anyone wants advance release of the software Google it or pm me for dropbox link.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been using iOS6 since beta2 on iphone4s and ipad2 and now have the gold master on my iPhone.

I really like the VIP mail and the do not disturbe features.

The ease of Facebook/twitter post is good, would be great if you could select both at the same time.

The landscape safari is good.

The shared photo streams look like being useful and fun.

The Apple map does not seem to be an improvement, the maps may be a little faster loading, but no street view, which I always found useful. The 3D cities seem to be little more then a gimmick, they look kinda cool, not not sure of what use they are (I am in street level not in the air when I am walking around).
    The built in 'car style' GPS, is handy but I already paid for an app with that feature.
    I would really like to be able to download maps (even if just a single city) so that I dont have to download maps as I go, Which when going abroad will,be expensive with high data roming rates.
  • The Icon V2The Icon V2 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the Do Not Disturb function. very handy!
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like how the new maps application has poor overhead imagery.

In my tiny village the imagery is pretty good, I'd go as far as to say it's better than whatever Google currently has (it's been updated within the last 5 years, for starters).

However if you look at a major town like Reading you get a mosaic.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i think iOS is now fundamentally behind it's competitors.

the work they've done is basically on bundled apps not the core os.

not that anybody cares.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

not that anybody cares.

Some people care - some people dont - depends if it suits your needs or not.
  • Stevie_DonaldStevie_Donald Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    What does the VIP mail actually do? I have 4 email accounts on my phone and have no problem with them but wonder what this new functionality will bring.

No interest in the Facebook/Twitter/shared photo streams and am yet to be convinced by the maps, but we shall see.
    Forum Member

not that anybody cares.
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Some people care - some people dont - depends if it suits your needs or not.

well by nobody cares i'm abbreviating a more complex point that the downside implications on repeat sales of iOS being fundamentally less functional than it's competitors will be negligible.

obviously people buy the phone they want, some people buy £100 feature phones.
    Forum Member
    What does the VIP mail actually do? I have 4 email accounts on my phone and have no problem with them but wonder what this new functionality will bring.

No interest in the Facebook/Twitter/shared photo streams and am yet to be convinced by the maps, but we shall see.

presumably you will be able to add contacts to a sort of preferred list and they will be displayed more prominently. like gmail does. possibly like gmail it will even work out your preferred contacts.
    Forum Member
    presumably you will be able to add contacts to a sort of preferred list and they will be displayed more prominently. like gmail does. possibly like gmail it will even work out your preferred contacts.

One of the accounts I use is gmail.

Not sure if I can see any benefit but perhaps someone who has had a play will enlighten me.
    Forum Member
    One of the accounts I use is gmail.

Not sure if I can see any benefit but perhaps someone who has had a play will enlighten me.

well it depends on how you use your email i guess. my inbox is pretty lean. but if you're one of these people that is signed up to mailing lists or gets cc'd on pointless work emails then it will put the unread emails from your girlfriend above the unread emails from 'joke of the day.'

would be my guess anyway.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's great if you have no interest in the feature, it just means that there's something else cluttering up the screen.
    Forum Member
    I read this on another site

"Business users will appreciate two new features of the iOS 6 Mail app--VIP and Flagged. Contacts can be designated as VIP, and any messages from them will be uniquely flagged in the main Inbox, as well as accessible in a separate VIP folder. The VIP feature should make it much easier to make sure you don't miss important emails from your boss, spouse, co-workers, or key customers.

The Flagged feature allows you to mark received messages as "flagged" so they're easier to find and address. Items marked as Flagged appear in a separate Flagged smart mailbox, so you can quickly and easily find them again without having to scroll through the entire Inbox."

Still struggling to see the benefits.
    I haven't missed an email before and using the search function means I don't have to scroll through and entire inbox.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Using an unreleased version is not going to be the same as the fully optimised one I imagine. But my thoughts on what I have seen of iOS 6 from promos etc. essentially is "meh". A fair amount of the functionality is deliberately denied me as I have an iPhone 4. Ostensibly it's the processor but I don't buy it. But my slightly more considered thoughts are:

- maps; ditching google is a bit daft I think, and using flyover (well, if you can use it) will probably be a short term thing.
    - Siri; now with sports data? woop. de. do.
    - passbook; actually useful. Would likely make use of this.
    - facetime; not available on my phone over cellular
    - still using heaps of skeuomorphisms which irk me

What's missing in my view:
    - live tiles / widgets / at-a-glance items
    - customisable Siri voice

I'll update of course, as it'll include a number of system enhancements etc. But the new functionality is pretty much "same old" to me.
  • andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would love iOS6, will have to wait till next Wednesday
    Forum Member
    Would love iOS6, will have to wait till next Wednesday

what are you looking forward to?
  • andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking some of the new features, Do not disturb, Face Time on mobile network etc.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Would love to try ios 6 out on my ipad 3 but will wait until there is a untethered jailbreak for it.
    Hopefully not long
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add to the VIP mailbox.

It is great if you revive a lot of 'junk/grey' mail. The way I use it is, the people I know have been added to the VIP list, this way, I get an audible alert when I get an email from one of them, but it stays quite for junk/grey mail. Also you can view just the VIPbox (which has all email addresses (gmail/hotmail/work????) and see if there is anything important and ignor the junk/grey.
    Forum Member
    Fortunately I don't get much junk mail but I do get a lot of important mail from people on a one-off basis or from people within a company that I have never had email from before so it can be difficult to create a VIP type list.

Still worth investigating though as no doubt will some of the other features, hopefully
    Forum Member
    OK after a full day with it, the lag seems to be settling somewhat, I still hate the maps application tho....that is incredibly choppy and laggy. Facebook integration is better handled than I thought it would be, I don't think the facebook app has actually been updated to take advantage of the deep integration within iOS6.

I am still working round it, battery life wife it seems more or less the same as 5.1. Moving between screens seems smooth, just when apps launch and are used is when it invariably runs with noticeable lag. I am on the fence still with this one, something tells me whenever 6.0.1 is released it will address a lot fo the issues I am seeing now.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    OK after a full day with it, the lag seems to be settling somewhat, I still hate the maps application tho....that is incredibly choppy and laggy. Facebook integration is better handled than I thought it would be, I don't think the facebook app has actually been updated to take advantage of the deep integration within iOS6.

I am still working round it, battery life wife it seems more or less the same as 5.1. Moving between screens seems smooth, just when apps launch and are used is when it invariably runs with noticeable lag. I am on the fence still with this one, something tells me whenever 6.0.1 is released it will address a lot fo the issues I am seeing now.

Are Google adding a separate maps app? - just download that.

YouTube has also been removed no? -again download
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    Are Google adding a separate maps app? - just download that.

YouTube has also been removed no? -again download

Google haven't confirmed if they are doing a separate maps application as for Youtube...... iphone/ipod only at the moment.

I am not bothered that they changed the mapping application, that is Apple's prerogative, however they could have at least tested it out properly and ironed out performance issues. It annoys me and the same goes for Google when they release something new and can't even be bothered to test it out on a mass scale not just to developers who need to "adjust" their applications in preparation for the release of the new software.

Microsoft in this sense at least with their Desktop platform has the right thing in mind by releasing open public testing. Anyway I am digressing, iOS is often sluggish and I look forward to Apple's first update.