Dear Aldi. ** rant **

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    My local Aldi has had baskets for the last few months as well. :)

So has mine.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    The quality of Aldi produce is excellent - easily better than a lot of what you would find in the big four supermarkets.

On the original point - it isn't ideal I know, but you can always grab an empty box, which they generally leave out for people to use. I am sure they have their reasons for not supplying baskets.

I agree - I love Aldi - and I have several of those big Aldi bags, if I only want a few things I put them in one and unpack them onto the belt.

I'm also really fast at packing, off the belt straight into the opened big bags in the trolley. When I go to other supermarkets I do the same thing - and say, 'no, I don't need help with packing - Aldi trained'.:D
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be good have more than one cashier on as well.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP and that's why I never go to Aldi or Lidl. I don't need a big trolley for a few things and can't always hold them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    So has mine.

And mine.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    It's not just Aldi - Lidl are exactly the same. I don't shop often (the OH does the food shopping) but it is annoying.

My local Lidl have hand baskets.
  • pon farrpon farr Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    It's not really pointless. You throw everything on the conveyor, move your trolley round to the other side, shove everything back in the trolley then, once you have paid, move your trolley over to the packing area where you can take your time. You use either bags (your own or bought from them), or boxes most of these stores have lying around for you to use. You can pack things properly, without having someone else behind you huffing and puffing and moaning because you are taking too long. :D

The trouble is you are not allowed to do that with the baskets, once you have unloaded everything onto the conveyor, the basket must not be used to convey items to the packing area.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Lidl shops have baskets but others do not, which I find odd.

I went in to my nearest Lidl which does not have baskets, picked up more items that I had intended buying and held them in my arms.

When I got to the checkout I dropped a jar containing sliced beetroot and it smashed on the floor. It was an accident but the mess was everywhere. If they had baskets it would not have happened.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - I love Aldi - and I have several of those big Aldi bags, if I only want a few things I put them in one and unpack them onto the belt.

Exactly what I do both at Aldi and Lidl. Just go round putting everything into a very large carrier, then empty it all out onto the conveyor. Re-pack at the checkout and off you go.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pon farr wrote: »
    The trouble is you are not allowed to do that with the baskets, once you have unloaded everything onto the conveyor, the basket must not be used to convey items to the packing area.
    I noticed that when I was in Aldi this morning. The lady in front of me at the checkout had used a basket and was obviously very puzzled when she was told that she couldn't use it to carry her purchases to the packing shelf. I thought maybe that was a rule that was peculiar to my local Aldi, but from what you say it seems to be a general one. It seems daft to me.

I use Geccobags in places like Aldi because you can pack straight into them at the checkout. They have quite a large capacity and you can fit three into a full-size shopping trolley.

http://www.geccobags.co.uk/gecco-easy-c18.html
  • Shilo_PittShilo_Pitt Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Dear Aldi. Triple your profits overnight, by simply having hand-baskets for people to use - instead of trying to carry everything in their arms and under their chin, thus only being able to carry about £5 worth of stuff. Yours Faithfully, Alienpanda......

There's always a humungus pile of the blummen things at the Market Street/Arndale Aldi.
  • Shilo_PittShilo_Pitt Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Oh and another thing. The check out guy scanned my items faster than the speed of lightning - no kidding, he literally threw them across like it was a race - and I was the only customer waiting!! I'd not even opened the bag yet and he was telling me to put my card in!!!

They're always doing that. Nothing like a bit of speedy service. I just shovel up my shopping into the basket at the top of pile at the end of the checkout, pay up and go 'n' sort things out at my own pace on the packing shelf.
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pon farr wrote: »

Errr...who is going to stop you. The Lidl Trolley Police? Are they going to manhandle you and confiscate the basket?
    Bring 'em on!

Once I have bought and paid for my items I shall convey them to the packing aread any damn way I please thank you very much. People of the UK..stand up against retail facism (or just go to Asda).:rolleyes:
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local Lidl have hand baskets.

Mine does now - not many (the post you quoted is about a year old).

I just put the stuff into my own bags now and unload them at the checkout and then pack them again.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errr...who is going to stop you. The Lidl Trolley Police? Are they going to manhandle you and confiscate the basket?
    Bring 'em on!

Once I have bought and paid for my items I shall convey them to the packing aread any damn way I please thank you very much. People of the UK..stand up against retail facism (or just go to Asda).:rolleyes:
    Yeah it's like 1939 all over again.:rolleyes:

Personally I find paying a needless extra 30% or whatever it is for groceries in notionally British supermarkets more tyrannous than Aldi / Lidl's modus operandi.

And the considerable upsurge in trade at my local Aldi suggests I'm not alone.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also love the Aldi adverts.:D

And their Gold tea is better than ANY named brand of anywhere near the same price.

The baskets, there or not, I can deal with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi here have baskets. I'd shop there more, but I don't really know what anything is. It's like mixing shopping with "Deal Or No Deal".
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Dark Horse wrote: »
    I'd shop there more, but I don't really know what anything is. It's like mixing shopping with "Deal Or No Deal".

In my experience, Lidl are a bit better than Aldi overall, though it's very mixed. For example, Aldi do a white toaster loaf that's quite nice for 65p whereas all Lidl's loaves are horrible in my opinion. They both sell 'premium' frozen salmon for the same price, which taste the same, but Lidl's slices are more neat than Aldi's.

I tend to shop in Lidl and never have anything to go to Aldi for these days, but it's because of the hit and miss products that I started this thread for Lidl.
  • pon farrpon farr Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    What I find intriguing about the price of bread is the budget loaf, what I would like to know is who sets the price? All the stores I frequent, big or small charge the same price of 47p.
  • citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem as many other people on here with staff telling me that you cannot used your basket to transfer your shopping to the packing area.

I was in my local Aldi today and put my shopping onto the conveyor belt, whilst carrying the empty basket in my hand. When I reached the front of the queue the assistant told me that I must hand him the basket back. I said I needed it to put my shopping into. He told me it wasn't allowed. So, like many other shoppers I noticed, I was forced to carry my shopping by hand to the packing area. This was quite tricky as I had a number of heavy items. I had to make 3 or 4 trips back and forth and it did get rather silly.

I have no idea why Aldi stores have adopted this ridiculous policy. The Manchester city centre Aldi does not have this policy. You are allowed to pack your shopping back into your basket there and then use it to take your shopping to the packing area.

I do love Aldi but this rule is really quite stupid and it puts me off going there.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My main gripe with Aldi, who I actually like shopping with, is that they have this annoying habit of telling you they are closing a till so you join another queue, only for till still to be open 5 minutes later and still serving other people.

Happened last week, woman beat me to the checkout by seconds, gets told the till was closing I let her go in front of me at a queue for another till and we spend the next few minutes staring in disbelief as the supposedly closed till just continues to operate.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    citius wrote: »
    I have the same problem as many other people on here with staff telling me that you cannot used your basket to transfer your shopping to the packing area.

I was in my local Aldi today and put my shopping onto the conveyor belt, whilst carrying the empty basket in my hand. When I reached the front of the queue the assistant told me that I must hand him the basket back. I said I needed it to put my shopping into. He told me it wasn't allowed. So, like many other shoppers I noticed, I was forced to carry my shopping by hand to the packing area. This was quite tricky as I had a number of heavy items. I had to make 3 or 4 trips back and forth and it did get rather silly.

I have no idea why Aldi stores have adopted this ridiculous policy. The Manchester city centre Aldi does not have this policy. You are allowed to pack your shopping back into your basket there and then use it to take your shopping to the packing area.

I do love Aldi but this rule is really quite stupid and it puts me off going there.
    Email their head office and give them a link to this thread :D
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    citius wrote: »

Wasn't the Lloyd Street one was it? they told us they adopted the rule because people kept stealing the baskets :eek:
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would shop at Aldi more if they had self checkouts

Why? Aldi's checkout staff are faster than the speed of light. Very entertaining to watch.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    Why? Aldi's checkout staff are faster than the speed of light. Very entertaining to watch.
    During the Olympics I asked an Aldi checkout person (as she hurled my purchases at me) if she thought there might be an Olympic class for fastest checkout operator, and suggested that she'd probably win a gold medal. She didn't seem to be amused! :D

I don't usually mind the speed of the Aldi checkouteers, but she seemed to take it just a bit too far.