Working 30 hours a week for next to nothing on job seekers

Comments

• Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    I have no issue with jobseekers having a placement to improve skills, but if they are working they should be paid minimum wage for the duration of the placement.

That way, they see the other benefit of working (i.e money)
  • PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Six months out of work and anyone starts getting rusty. Recent retail experience gives you a routine of getting up and into work each day, interacting with others, stock control, EPOS experience, dealing with deliveries, providing customer service, problem solving and loads more.

If someone has recently been out of work then yes it's a bit harsh saying off you go to work experience, but six months is quite a fair old time. I think after about 3-4 weeks of being unemployed I would be standing near a busy junction with a sandwich board listing my key skills and doing whatever I could to work. Depends how badly you want a job.
    Depends on the person. I personally have no issue getting up on a morning if I have to. I have been unemployed for over a year, and even now I can still get up. On Monday morning I got up a 5:30 to go with my dad, who is a HGV driver, to direct traffic whilst he unloaded. Didn't bother me one bit.
    I know that not all people are like me, but then you can't say that all unemployed people are lazy.
  • EllieGEllieG Posts: 108,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But then you chose to do it, and in a place that would help you get employed in the field of work you are looking into.
    On this scheme you are just getting sent to whatever company want free labour, regardless of whether you are interested in that type of business or what.

Actually I didn't go into work in the field I worked in on the placement! However, it gave me something on my CV which I could use to illustrate skills learnt which were applicable to most jobs.

However, if I lost my job next week - I would still do anything work orientated rather than sit at home, just to be constructive and to feel I was contributing something. I admit I was brought up with the (now) old-fashioned view that you aren't owed a living (my Dad's favourite saying :p) and the protestant work ethic that any work is better than none. I prefer to look on the positives I can take from a situation than the negatives or injustices.

At least here people do get assistance. My brother works in the US and was told last week his whole site is being closed down so all of them are losing their jobs; he's dependent entirely on his savings until he can find something else.

For those job hunting though - having just ploughed through 40+ CVs for a job we advertised, I would plead with you to brush up on English. So many of them had basic errors in them which, for a job with the essential requirement of being focused on detail, meant they went straight in the bin. Good luck to those looking.
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then you chose to do it, and in a place that would help you get employed in the field of work you are looking into.
    On this scheme you are just getting sent to whatever company want free labour, regardless of whether you are interested in that type of business or what.

Are you sure about that? I would have thought it would benefit the DWP if they let Jobseekers choose their own work experience, perhaps the threat of Poundland is for Jobseekers who don't go looking for their own work experience?
  • PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I would have thought it would benefit the DWP if they let Jobseekers choose their own work experience, perhaps the threat of Poundland is for Jobseekers who don't go looking for their own work experience?
    Pretty sure, I have already been sent on one of these schemes, I was sent to a charity shop, which is no way helped me in getting a job in the horticulture. Two days in I had an argument with the woman, because she was treated me like a bit of poo on her shoe, I got kicked off the scheme for two months, but when I rejoined, I got sent to a local brewery (which was based in the grounds of an old hotel, which had shut down and was in the process of been turned into a private residence) again I had no choice about going there, but this did at least mean that I did get to do some of the things that I wanted to do. But then as soon as my time there was up, they got rid of me and got someone else, and this has not helped me in getting a job.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that not all people are like me, but then you can't say that all unemployed people are lazy.

You're right, in any group of people there are going to be contrasts. It's where the current government draws the line to try and address the contrasts for those who do like to live on benefits. Unfortunately the lazy workshy people give a bad name in general to everyone.

Perhaps the question should be if someone is long-term unemployed, what would be the right way to get them into work?
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as businesses are using this scheme for free labour at the taxpayers expense then it will always be wrong, IMO.
  • LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What gets me out of bed in the morning is THE MONEY!

All this getting rusty and you need re-training to get out of bed is just complete stupidity!

I'm 50 and and worked most of 35 years, do you really think that after a break of over 6 months I would forget how to wipe my own bum.

I see some utter rot posted as justification on these forums, but some things are beyond ridiculous!
  • LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as businesses are using this scheme for free labour at the taxpayers expense then it will always be wrong, IMO.

Only if aided and abetted by the job centre - Which sad is the case. Under threats.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    What gets me out of bed in the morning is THE MONEY!

All this getting rusty and you need re-training to get out of bed is just complete stupidity!

I'm 50 and and worked most of 35 years, do you really think that after a break of over 6 months I would forget how to wipe my own bum.

I see some utter rot posted as justification on these forums, but some things are beyond ridiculous!

Unfortunately it's that utter rot is what they claim is why these schemes are justified - these schemes are more like punishment then help plus the fact that they are of no benefit according to the DWP doesn't help
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friends mother has worked for over 40 years but had to leave her job due to illness (oesteroposis). She was able to claim disability for a while and she also lost her husband during her illness as well.

They've recently 're-assesed' her and found her able to work so they're sending on her a course to learn to write a CV even though she's worked most of her working life and is now 64 and eligable to retire next year! Honestly who is going to take on someone with a year left who has oesteroposis? She's had many jobs during her working life and doesn't need to learn how to write a CV!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the same programme at a charity shop. I had only been on JSA for 2 months but out of work for 6 years (uni and illness). So I chose to do it because I had no references and I am also crap at interveiws.

I went there determind to do my best and ended up carrying on volunteering for eight weeks when I was offered 16 hours plus what over time averaged out as a extra day a week.

I have now been offered 32 hours a week at one shop plus they are considering me for an assistant manager postion somewhere else.

I did this scheme in november last year.
  • cookieboothcookiebooth Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Sounds like an adult version of YTS to hide the real unemployment figures.

£26.25 a week to make the tea and fetch **** from the newsy for a lazy alcoholic. When I said I was here to learn IT and wanted some real work I was hastily sacked for being lazy and having a bad attitude.
    For what it is worth, you may as well chew on a corn on the cob for the rest of your life! :rolleyes:
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    My friends mother has worked for over 40 years but had to leave her job due to illness (oesteroposis). She was able to claim disability for a while and she also lost her husband during her illness as well.

They've recently 're-assesed' her and found her able to work so they're sending on her a course to learn to write a CV even though she's worked most of her working life and is now 64 and eligable to retire next year! Honestly who is going to take on someone with a year left who has oesteroposis? She's had many jobs during her working life and doesn't need to learn how to write a CV!

That's absolutely ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think some of these people need to find work without the help of the job centre because many decent companies no longer bother using the job centre to find staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still a choice - perhaps not a choice you'd like, but a choice nontheless. Anyway as far as I understand it you have to be on Jobseeker's for some time before you get on one of these activities. Surely you're no worse off financially doing it, plus it keeps your skills sharpened? What's the harm of that?

If you've listened to David Cameron's speeches recently he's discussing the Wisconsin model, that makes this sort of thing a doddle in comparison.

Typical tory bullshit.
    Would you work for no wage?
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    MrsOrin wrote: »
    I really think some of these people need to find work without the help of the job centre because many decent companies no longer bother using the job centre to find staff.

job centre don't really help
    if you think the job centre or schemes like this help then you may as well believe in the tooth fairy and santa claus
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    The job centre vacancies are gash, most of them are not even real jobs just agencies trying to get people on their books. The company I used to work for stopped using the job centre ages ago as the people they sent were absolutely useless .
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how are you supposed to write off for jobs and go to interviews if you are working 30 hours a week?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    how are you supposed to write off for jobs and go to interviews if you are working 30 hours a week?

30 hours is significantly less than the standard 40-45 hours that full-time work normally brings, so I'm sure any interviews could be arranged at a mutually agreeable time outside of the work experience.

As for applying for jobs, there is plenty of time to do that on an evening or weekend. Otherwise how would anyone in full-time employment ever apply for a new job?
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Isn't it work experience for young adults who have never held a job? The idea is that the 8 weeks work experience goes on your CV then it looks better to potential employers that you've actually had some experience of work.

I agree with this, however what about people who lost their jobs, but have years of experience ...ranging from when they were young and worked in shops to when they progressed and maybe held a job in management or worked in an office?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this, however what about people who lost their jobs, but have years of experience ...ranging from when they were young and worked in shops to when they progressed and maybe held a job in management or worked in an office?

Find their own work experience, will show initiative.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

30 hours, over 5 days, is only 6 hours a day.

That leaves you 10 hours to be reading newspapers and writing letters out of a standard 40 hours week.

Then there are the evenings, not to mention, the 2 extra days.

Surely, if you were offered an interview, they would be obliged to let you attend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    job centre don't really help
    if you think the job centre or schemes like this help then you may as well believe in the tooth fairy and santa claus

The schemes are pretty much the same, but what else can they do? Although not suitable for some work experience is a good option for someone who has never held a job.
  • harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And have zero money coming in?

Their choice.