Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 7)

Comments

• Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix are scheduled Feb. 9-March 18. No news yet about the South American/Mexico leg of the tour.
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    "I reckon Little Mix will get a lot of negative reviews for their performance, due to the fact that their new single is all kinds of awful." about them performing on x factor uk, which was confirmed
    http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep16week45/x-factor#.UmgnAhbiqiJ
  • Options
    RayforeverRayforever Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Little Mix are scheduled Feb. 9-March 18. No news yet about the South American/Mexico leg of the tour.

I think they may go to America straight after their xmas break to start promo with the album and be over there till the tour with Demi ends.

Atleast that would be the smart thing to do knowing their management/label and how they rush things it may not happen like that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    About Australia: the single may not be rushing to the top but preorders for the album have been pretty decent so far.
    Yeah, that's true. Is that how purchasing patterns tend to run for younger skewing boy/girlbands, perhaps? I haven't been following pop long enough to know.

I would expect that many single purchases come out of getting the darn thing stuck in your head, which is something Move hasn't done for me, but who knows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rayforever wrote: »
    I think they may go to America straight after their xmas break to start promo with the album and be over there till the tour with Demi ends.

Atleast that would be the smart thing to do knowing their management/label and how they rush things it may not happen like that :rolleyes:

I dont know if they need to go straight after their Xmas break, but certainly they'll need to be there a week ahead of the start so they can rehearse with the tour. Do support acts get to bring any set pieces or live musicians with them?
  • Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone still think this? I've bleated on for weeks about not feeling comfortable with how things were (not) going.

The only thing is, I'm assuming this album is quality, so yeah, the big splashy debut numbers may not be there thru lack of hype time, but I'm hoping people will catch on thru word of mouth, again, over the next few months. I have high hopes for the US market.

About Australia: the single may not be rushing to the top but preorders for the album have been pretty decent so far.

@Matt_Kode 1h
    Silly amounts ticked off of the 'to edit' list today! Result!

Please let this be about the Move video.

That would be a good case for Move to be a "buzz" single.

Yes, I still think they know exactly what they're doing. I highly doubt you'd do a better job, they're professionals and will have meeting after meeting about things none of us have a clue about!

You over analyse everything the girls do. It will all come together :)
  • Options
    BodyElectric.BodyElectric. Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I still think they know exactly what they're doing. I highly doubt you'd do a better job, they're professionals and will have meeting after meeting about things none of us have a clue about!

No need to get so personal... CV was just making an important point as a fan.

Although I agree, i'm sure/hope everything will eventually come together.
  • Options
    RayforeverRayforever Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I dont know if they need to go straight after their Xmas break, but certainly they'll need to be there a week ahead of the start so they can rehearse with the tour. Do support acts get to bring any set pieces or live musicians with them?

But their album is out before the tour starts surely they are going to do some sort promo leading up to the release

It depends on how much the support act want to spend but yeah they can bring band/dancer 5H are selling ticket for their own M&G on the Demi tour
  • Options
    old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rayforever wrote: »
    I stayed out of it on twitter as i thought some people where really unfair with their comments towards Perrie I agree with you i personally feel she did nothing wrong.

Agreed - The girl is twenty years old and has a few years until she matures...Perrie has come straight out of school/college with little knowledge of the world in it's wider sense and is "living in a bubble" by her own confession..
    I doubt very much that there are many of her age who recognise or understand the pitfalls which exist for the unwary mouth!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope so. As much as the label seemed to have messed up previously ie. CYL & HYD releases, I have SOME faith in them after their chart breaking record in the US. Yes, we know the sales of DNA(album) were not the best but they still have that number 4 debut to put on their CV which has a nice ring to it.

I think the label have the US in mind with this album/era, which is one of the reasons why I think the release of 'Move' in the UK & Aus is so casual/laidback? I feel like the label are kinda using the UK and Aus as a back up? Meaning once 'Move' breaks in the US it's pretty much a hit worldwide anyway? Is it unusual for an artist to peak higher with a single months later or is that a little far fetched?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    You don't get to "decide" to "be" a member of an ethnic group for a day, particularly not just because you're wearing a single piece of clothing that is stereotypically associated with that group. If she got her hair done in cornrows, put on some chains and tweeted "the day I decided to be black" I suspect there would be some problems, no?

If she tweeted, say, "having some fun with costume props, I think this Native American headdress looked really cool" then there wouldn't be any problem.

Cannot disagree - BUT you must remember this is a 20yr old with limited knowledge of the world as it is... Far too much is being made of what is basically an 'youthful' jest... With a few more years living in the wider world, I rather think/hope such ill-advised comments would not occur.
    (please note I use 'youthful' to cover inexperienced/uninformed)

Perhaps Mgmt should now proof-read first???:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it unusual for an artist to peak higher with a single months later or is that a little far fetched?

Far fetched I think.

By the time US promotion gets going next year, they could probably do with having a second single off the album out here to keep momentum going.

- tim
  • Options
    aldualdu Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perrie again. Can't find the link on the same site atm, but here's some other coverage.
    http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=439144

As someone who's fractionally Native American, it bugs me a little, but my reaction is ultimately that her heart was probably in the right place and it'd just be nice if someone would take her aside and explain to her why it's somewhat problematic. I've met a bunch of otherwise very cool Europeans online who've assumed that particular US historical shame has completely blown over and there are no hard feelings remaining just because it gets less press than our other racial frictions. Nope, not the case.

I'm confused, what's racist about this?
    I'm a black male btw..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another note, if dear old R1 has put Move on its "B" list - Why is it still only on the "C" list on their website???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    On another note, if dear old R1 has put Move on its "B" list - Why is it still only on the "C" list on their website???

Website only gets updated at the start of the week now. Someone in the playlist meeting always posts a picture of the new list online though on Wednesday.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXR1swZIgAAczdl.jpg:large

That Storm Queen track is blatantly getting #1.

- tim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aldu wrote: »
    I'm confused, what's racist about this?
    I'm a black male btw..

Hi aldu

I'm fairly sure that quite a percentage of people from outside the UK (whatever their cultural backgrounds) do not readily understand British humour and our tendency to irreverence.
    I'm not saying this to denigrate anyone, but I do think it often requires someone, not of these shores, to be immersed in UK culture for several months, if not years, before they "get it"..
    Pity that some are offended where no offence is intended.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Website only gets updated at the start of the week now. Someone in the playlist meeting always posts a picture of the new list online though on Wednesday.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXR1swZIgAAczdl.jpg:large

That Storm Queen track is blatantly getting #1.

- tim

Thanks tim

Perhaps LM should release a re-mix of DNA in a couple of years and see it soar to #1 ;):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Their music store has been updated
    http://www.myplaydirect.com/little-mix
    It looks great! I love the color scheme
  • Options
    19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ It looks really good! :)

The Deluxe is just Little Mix Salute in Black. Looks a bit nicer IMO. So will be buying that one.

Why doesn't it say Deluxe Edition on it though?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Cannot disagree - BUT you must remember this is a 20yr old with limited knowledge of the world as it is... Far too much is being made of what is basically an 'youthful' jest... With a few more years living in the wider world, I rather think/hope such ill-advised comments would not occur.
    Of course; that's what my first comment pretty much said. It's on the level of "hey, it would be nice if someone took her aside and mentioned it."
    I'm fairly sure that quite a percentage of people from outside the UK (whatever their cultural backgrounds) do not readily understand British humour and our tendency to irreverence.

Americans do tend to be utterly humorless when it comes to something that even hints at slighting minority populations, yes. Much of that is due to a couple centuries of "dog-whistle" racist politics, and plenty of studies showing that racism is still an ongoing, if subtler, problem. If you want a recent case for how that plays out in conversations about music, have a look at the way Lorde took a beating in the American media for the lyrics in Royals. It absolutely didn't matter that you have to parse the lyrics very carefully to see a possible problem, or that she's only 16 and from New Zealand with at best a limited grasp on the context.

Since LM are looking to crack the US, it's important to take note of this cultural element.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course; that's what my first comment pretty much said. It's on the level of "hey, it would be nice if someone took her aside and mentioned it."

Americans do tend to be utterly humorless when it comes to something that even hints at slighting minority populations, yes. Much of that is due to a couple centuries of "dog-whistle" racist politics, and plenty of studies showing that racism is still an ongoing, if subtler, problem. If you want a recent case for how that plays out in conversations about music, have a look at the way Lorde took a beating in the American media for the lyrics in Royals. It absolutely didn't matter that you have to parse the lyrics very carefully to see a possible problem, or that she's only 16 and from New Zealand with at best a limited grasp on the context.

Since LM are looking to crack the US, it's important to take note of this cultural element.

I agree and I really hope that their US mgmt advises them where appropriate...
    The potential problem lies in their tendency to excitability - especially when they are tired... In their own words they "get a little fruit loopy" and are capable of spouting pretty much anything in response to idiotic prompting...(even from each other) .. This is funny to us here, but may perhaps drop them in occasional hot water - and maybe the ripples that follow could cause wider difficulties...
    It only takes one slip
    :(

Read the CNN article and then the comments!!! Fascinating how heated they became ( serious vs serious vs sarcastic vs insults...No wonder mankind is so easy to provoke into war!)
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    https://twitter.com/search?q=little%20mix%20song%20actually&src=typd&f=realtime thats always the search I use to see comments by casuals on Move..

and I actually found this one about little mix:
    7A9435CF ‏@Chyna_Nards 59m
    Omg the one that looks like ET from little mix is actually buff now 😱 - lol do you guys think people will comment a lot about jesy when they go on the x factor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CourtKnee wrote: »
    Their music store has been updated
    http://www.myplaydirect.com/little-mix
    It looks great! I love the color scheme

Ooh! Those rats. I want to march into a store and buy it on these shores but they threw their own online store open to the US market so I could buy my Deluxe signed. I am tempted.

If I do order it thru them does it get counted as a US or UK sale for the charts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cultural landmines are made to be stepped on. No matter how careful they or anybody are, at some point someone will take offense at something. I wonder if anyone told them about how the hillbilly accent might be seen as demeaning to the Appalachian region. Personally I find it hilarious and not insulting, but my friend from Tennesee winces when people put on broad Southern accents.
This discussion has been closed.