Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Sorry, this might seem a bit scrambled as thoughts are flowing freely. Must be the guck finally loosening up in my head after that nasty headcold.

Looking back at S6E1, the whole of it seems to spell out what happens all of S6 and potentially S7--

The trials and tribulations of married life plays out through the adventures of the honeymoon.

The deterioration of the wedding dress seems to symbolize the deterioration of their relationship in S6 or the deterioration of Martin's mental health in S6.

Louisa standing up to the farmer while she's holding the rifle defending Martin (perhaps the funniest scene for CC this series) and how she stood up for Martin when she saw Margaret at the airport or how she always stands up for Martin no matter what others say.

The emergency surgery on the farmer's neck and the eventual emergency surgery on Louisa (through the vein in her neck & the blood involved).

The two of them toting the farmer in the wheelbarrow together equates to the emotional baggage they've been forced to carry around but have stuck by each other.

The big truck that comes down the road could symbolize the "third party" who might emerge in S7 to counsel them both.

How they seem to connect despite the chaos swirling around them in the end scene, they are together and life goes on...

Love it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Louisa has been shown a lot of different ways and become a more rounded character due to expressing different aspects of being human more forthrightly, I think. But I see it as part and parcel of an episodic story, emphasizing quite different things in different episodes, but which taken all together across the series, make a more rounded picture of a very human character.

I am curious about what you would call or define or show as "a center"? Can you explain more, please?

Sure. It has to do with the integrity of the essential character. If the Doc came into the surgery and grabbed Louisa, gave her a big smooch in front of patients, and called her "babycakes," we'd say that was out of character. If he popped up in gym clothes saying he was going for a run, that would be out of character. There are many times, especially in S6, where Louisa has changed character. Again, as I said before, look at the HUGE shift between series 6's E1 and 2: only two weeks apart, yet in the first she was largely accepting of DM and his personality quirks, but in E2, although he was obviously trying and making huge changes, she was petty and bitchy. Two weeks later! This is inconsistent writing and characterization. And there are more examples, like her exchanges with Bert in the same episode. If the Doc suddenly became romantic and a sports nut, I don't think we'd say, "Oh, it's great BP has finally revealed other aspects of his character! We'd say, that's not right - they've messed with the very essence of who DM is."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Sure. It has to do with the integrity of the essential character. If the Doc came into the surgery and grabbed Louisa, gave her a big smooch in front of patients, and called her "babycakes," we'd say that was out of character. If he popped up in gym clothes saying he was going for a run, that would be out of character. There are many times, especially in S6, where Louisa has changed character. Again, as I said before, look at the HUGE shift between series 6's E1 and 2: only two weeks apart, yet in the first she was largely accepting of DM and his personality quirks, but in E2, although he was obviously trying and making huge changes, she was petty and bitchy. Two weeks later! This is inconsistent writing and characterization. And there are more examples, like her exchanges with Bert in the same episode. If the Doc suddenly became romantic and a sports nut, I don't think we'd say, "Oh, it's great BP has finally revealed other aspects of his character! We'd say, that's not right - they've messed with the very essence of who DM is."

Any and all changes toward the positive end of the spectrum must be extremely subtle as not to destroy the essential character of DM and ME or the show is ruined. L is the complementary character and probably has the most flexibility.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I've been away for a while and may not have seen relevant posts between then and now. I didn't subscribe to the Acorn website and only recently received the Season 6 DVDs which I have now watched. When the series was running in Britain, some fans complained that the relationship between Martin and Louisa was unusually rocky or "bitchy." I didn't really feel that--of course there were lots of moments when both (and more often Martin) could have behaved better, but I didn't feel it was as rocky a relationship as in Season 5--at least not until Episode 7 where Martin's behavior at the Sports Day was incredibly awful--so much so it seemed especially unrealistic. It is the only credible reason I can imagine for Louisa's sudden decision to go to Spain.

I thought the confrontation over coffee between Eileen Atkins and Claire Bloom was a sensational piece of drama (and acting--they are certainly two of the best actresses Britain has produced.) Caroline Catz's very direct confrontation with her mother in law at the airport was a close second. I thought DM was made to be even less pleasant to his patients which was unfortunate--he should be making at least some progress in affability--not too much, he still has to be the grumpy doc--but there ought to be some sign of his being "improved" by his wife and his love for his son. He could have explained a bit more his diagnoses even if he retained his very curt manner. (The arrival of his mother, however, certainly didn't help his progress towards being more of a human.)

I thought the surgery scene in episode eight was close to unbelievable (in real terms it was completely unbelievable--the nurses went along with DM operating when the other doctor had been scheduled and the doctor locked in the supply cabinet never got out until the operation was completely over?) Also, for all of us who struggle through the TSA screening in the U.S., DM's ability to get onto the plane stretched one's credulity. But, I guess this is just an emanation of the Port Wenn effect, and the scenes were enjoyable in a Walter Mitty sort of way.

I thought CC was beginning to show her age--she's still a beautiful woman but she was 42 when the series was made. (According to Wikipedia, she turned 43 on 19 October.) She also looked a bit older in DCI Banks--but she was supposed to be the mother of four kids, at least one a teenager, so that may even have been on purpose. (As an aside, I think it is a great compliment to CC that she has been made a permanent member of the DCI Banks series. She was a fill in when Bank's sidekick was on maternity leave, but she added so much that she's being kept even though there is no comparable character in the books.) CC's age leads me to wonder once again if the next series might be set so that several years have past. I think the ending suggests that there will be another series. While William and Mary had a rather unsatisfactory ending, at least they were happily cohabiting and I don't think DM can be left so much up in the air.

The extras on the DVDs were moderately interesting. The one thing that caught my attention was Martin Clune's remark about the casting of Louisa. The gist, as I heard it, was that they were looking for a good looking young woman to provide some love interest but didn't realize what they had found in Caroline Catz. This shaped the development of the whole series in ways that hadn't been anticipated. I've often wondered how CC was chosen--whether she was the one sought after from the very beginning or whether she was simply the one who was judged best of several actresses who were given auditions. MC's remark suggests the latter, especially coupled to the fact that her acting experience had been largely as a cop (and still is with DCI Banks) and they didn't know at the time of the casting that they had hit a grand slam home run.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    We wait with baited breath for "any and all changes toward the positive end of the spectrum." That will be our Xmas present from BP
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »
    I've been away for a while and may not have seen relevant posts between then and now. I didn't subscribe to the Acorn website and only recently received the Season 6 DVDs which I have now watched. When the series was running in Britain, some fans complained that the relationship between Martin and Louisa was unusually rocky or "bitchy." I didn't really feel that--of course there were lots of moments when both (and more often Martin) could have behaved better, but I didn't feel it was as rocky a relationship as in Season 5--at least not until Episode 7 where Martin's behavior at the Sports Day was incredibly awful--so much so it seemed especially unrealistic. It is the only credible reason I can imagine for Louisa's sudden decision to go to Spain.

I thought the confrontation over coffee between Eileen Atkins and Claire Bloom was a sensational piece of drama (and acting--they are certainly two of the best actresses Britain has produced.) Caroline Catz's very direct confrontation with her mother in law at the airport was a close second. I thought DM was made to be even less pleasant to his patients which was unfortunate--he should be making at least some progress in affability--not too much, he still has to be the grumpy doc--but there ought to be some sign of his being "improved" by his wife and his love for his son. He could have explained a bit more his diagnoses even if he retained his very curt manner. (The arrival of his mother, however, certainly didn't help his progress towards being more of a human.)

I thought the surgery scene in episode eight was close to unbelievable (in real terms it was completely unbelievable--the nurses went along with DM operating when the other doctor had been scheduled and the doctor locked in the supply cabinet never got out until the operation was completely over?) Also, for all of us who struggle through the TSA screening in the U.S., DM's ability to get onto the plane stretched one's credulity. But, I guess this is just an emanation of the Port Wenn effect, and the scenes were enjoyable in a Walter Mitty sort of way.

I thought CC was beginning to show her age--she's still a beautiful woman but she was 42 when the series was made. (According to Wikipedia, she turned 43 on 19 October.) She also looked a bit older in DCI Banks--but she was supposed to be the mother of four kids, at least one a teenager, so that may even have been on purpose. (As an aside, I think it is a great compliment to CC that she has been made a permanent member of the DCI Banks series. She was a fill in when Bank's sidekick was on maternity leave, but she added so much that she's being kept even though there is no comparable character in the books.) CC's age leads me to wonder once again if the next series might be set so that several years have past. I think the ending suggests that there will be another series. While William and Mary had a rather unsatisfactory ending, at least they were happily cohabiting and I don't think DM can be left so much up in the air.

The extras on the DVDs were moderately interesting. The one thing that caught my attention was Martin Clune's remark about the casting of Louisa. The gist, as I heard it, was that they were looking for a good looking young woman to provide some love interest but didn't realize what they had found in Caroline Catz. This shaped the development of the whole series in ways that hadn't been anticipated. I've often wondered how CC was chosen--whether she was the one sought after from the very beginning or whether she was simply the one who was judged best of several actresses who were given auditions. MC's remark suggests the latter, especially coupled to the fact that her acting experience had been largely as a cop (and still is with DCI Banks) and they didn't know at the time of the casting that they had hit a grand slam home run.

Just some thoughts.

Nice post, PLM......those of us who saw S6 in real time or on Acorn have discussed many of these issues. The one issue you have brought up that is interesting is that one would speculate DM would behave differently with patients. I believe he actually has. Affability.........no, probably not going to happen in the extreme...however. In sensitivity I and empathy he has made lots of baby steps in S6. I thought he actually behaved quite decently to Robert Campbell and the beachcomber lady. He was rough with (I'm spacing out on proper names today..bear with me) the young, chunky Mom at Millie's play group but after seeing the telling photo of the baby with the lack of red reflex called her right in and referred her. If Martin ever felt that there was something wrong with James, he would want to know right away. He actually used the word poo poo with the bratty school newspaper girl....that's humbling. And, unbelievably, he apologized to the folk singer and made a house call after storming out of their appointment.

Niceness and affability, no......signs of the slightest improvement in empathy, yes. I'm not good at big time psychiatric analysis....but I believe to learn empathy you have to have it demonstrated....something DM never had in vast amounts.

Again, sorry about the names...you'd think after watching S6 seven or eight times I would have it down pat...just a bit of a space case today...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »

Just some thoughts.

Nice to hear from you again, PLM.

It is definite that there will be a S7, and I feel pretty confident that they will wrap things up in a satisfactory way for Martin and Louisa. I do think S7 will be the last, both because they will have completely exhausted this story line, which has taken over the show, and also, because, as you point out, both Martin Clunes and Caroline Catz are looking older.

Personally, I hope that they show their struggle to reconcile and find a way to rock along together, rather than show them a few years down the road. I will happily overlook a few additional wrinkles.

As for the unreality of the operation, the medical professionals here (among them, Mofromco)certainly agreed with you, and pointed out the many ways in which it was literally fantastic, including DM "breaking scrub" a number of times. But it sure was gripping to watch.

I think Caroline CAtz is a wonderful actress, who hadn't appeared previously in a broad enough range of roles so that she could be appreciated. Yes, they sure did hit it out of the park when they selected her.

Like you, I didn't have much of a problem with Louisa's behavior, up until the horrible Sports Day scene. Martin's behavior was truly incredible, as was hers, actually. And I just can not find it credible that Louisa would decide to leave and think about her options from a distance, without at least one more effort to reach Martin, including pointing out that she might not be able to continue without some changes in him or their relationship. From his hangdog demeanor, I think that approach might have been effective.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out in left field from the current discussion, but here goes. I was just watching an episode of A Touch of Frost (Held in Trust ep) and noticed an actor who I thought looked like the dad who was trying to be a mum to his sons in the Blood is Thicker ep of DM. Tracked it down and it was the same actor, Nicholas Woodeson, who I discovered was in The Russia House with MC in 1990.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out in left field from the current discussion, but here goes. I was just watching an episode of A Touch of Frost (Held in Trust ep) and noticed an actor who I thought looked like the dad who was trying to be a mum to his sons in the Blood is Thicker ep of DM. Tracked it down and it was the same actor, Nicholas Woodeson, who I discovered was in The Russia House with MC in 1990.

Doesn't it seem like the pool of actresses and actors in the UK is much smaller, and very fraternal. Everyone has worked with everyone else on one job or another.....and most of them are so terrific and talented..at least in the mature shows that we watch. It's very interesting to play spot the actor in other productions besides DM. I am still fantasizing about series 7 and think that Martin will be dealing with a new character to help sort himself out. We've discussed this before, but I still hope that it is someone amazing!
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I hope it is someone as good as Bill Nighy -- noticeable role was the aging rocker in "Love Actually." He can do comedy and drama and would make a fantastic shrink for DM. He would act his heart out against Eileen Atkins.
    Plus he and MC are birds of a feather and would have amazing fun off screen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it is someone as good as Bill Nighy -- noticeable role was the aging rocker in "Love Actually." He can do comedy and drama and would make a fantastic shrink for DM. He would act his heart out against Eileen Atkins.
    Plus he and MC are birds of a feather and would have amazing fun off screen

I spent some time looking him up, and he does look like a great choice for a shrink -- which actually, he has already played (a "consultant psychiatrist") and he's known as a very sharp dresser -- probably really impress DM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just wishing the manny might be back for S7 (if he can get out of the army). The actor was such a cutie and I think he did an incredible job of playing his part, both as the great babysitter to JH and his OCD character.
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I'm just wishing the manny might be back for S7 (if he can get out of the army). The actor was such a cutie and I think he did an incredible job of playing his part, both as the great babysitter to JH and his OCD character.

I agree.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Somewhat off topic but it was sad to see this Christmas morning that one of the FF stories I had been following ended abruptly with the death of Martin. I am not sure what' happened, but it seemed the author was receiving nasty messages because Martin had found happiness with a woman other than Louisa. Reading fan fiction has been a nice part of my maternity (ends in January) and I admired those writers who wrote good stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Somewhat off topic but it was sad to see this Christmas morning that one of the FF stories I had been following ended abruptly with the death of Martin. I am not sure what' happened, but it seemed the author was receiving nasty messages because Martin had found happiness with a woman other than Louisa. Reading fan fiction has been a nice part of my maternity (ends in January) and I admired those writers who wrote good stories.

Which story is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for the holidays to DM friends everywhere. Here's to PEACE on Earth and GOODWILL to people everywhere. We can always hope, can't we?

Mo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope at least that he died a happy man. :)

And while I don't particularly want to watch (or think about) DM finding happiness with not-Louisa, I hope we see enough progress in him in S7 that he doesn't stay fixated on her, should she not be able to find a way to reconcile with him. That is, I hope, in the abstract, that he would be happy with someone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow, jumped over to FF and the author says, "I killed them off for you. Merry Christmas!" Seems like this author has quite an imagination and a flair for the dramatic. I suspect the author is someone who has been quite active on the forum on the past who's been unhappy about posters who disagreed with her. Obviously she feels victimized again. Perhaps she will hop on and share her story. You don't just "kill off your children" without good reason. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, jumped over to FF and the author says, "I killed them off for you. Merry Christmas!" Seems like this author has quite an imagination and a flair for the dramatic. I suspect the author is someone who has been quite active on the forum on the past who's been unhappy about posters who disagreed with her. Obviously she feels victimized again. Perhaps she will hop on and share her story. You don't just "kill off your children" without good reason. :confused:

Excuse my morbid curiosity, but is this story on the regular archive.....I can't seem to find it, could someone direct me?
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member

It also says she is planning to continue the story on a different site. Whatever is bothering her has been going on for the "last eight months." I don't recall ever having seen this person here on this forum---unless, of course, she has visited here using a different name. I never read any of her story so cannot comment.

On a brighter note, Merry Christmas to fellow DM fans around the globe! I joined only a few months ago, so thank you for welcoming me into your midst! Looking forward to enjoying many discussions in the future! :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Excuse my morbid curiosity, but is this story on the regular archive.....I can't seem to find it, could someone direct me?

It's Changes in Latitudes..... one. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9229247/1/Changes-in-Latitudes-Changes-in-Attitudes

You need to change the Filter for "Rating" to "All" to find it.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Changes in Latitudes..... one. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9229247/1/Changes-in-Latitudes-Changes-in-Attitudes

You need to change the Filter for "Rating" to "All" to find it.

He or she must be a Jimmy Buffett fan. I can't wait to hear the saga about why she or he decided to kill off the Doc. It could be as interesting as the actual fan fiction.

I recommend watching Series 6 backwards. That is, begin with episode 8, then 7, etc. It showed me how well this series was put together, plot progressions and character development. It was fun to watch it that way.

PLM: I, too, felt that the Doc/Louisa relationship was more steady in series 6. Louisa was steadier and the character was more predictable.

I think Martin's behavior at the Sports Day can partially be explained by the fact that his mother had touched his button when she asked him about the trophy he won at school. He is in a somewhat submissive position when she says that and he gets defensive. By that time he was so deep into his depression/breakdown/shutdown that her question may have been his breaking point. He had no defenses left. Think about it, this is a middle aged man who has not dealt with his serious childhood issues and his mother is thrown into his life and into his house just as he is starting to have a breakdown. It was like the universe was collapsing in on him. With the events at the Sports Day, maybe the producers were trying to demonstrate that his relationship with Louisa is literally a matter of life and death for this man.

Oh, gee. I just realized. Maybe that fan fiction writer is correct. Maybe they are going to kill off the Doc at the end of series 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    He or she must be a Jimmy Buffett fan. I can't wait to hear the saga about why she or he decided to kill off the Doc. It could be as interesting as the actual fan fiction.

I recommend watching Series 6 backwards. That is, begin with episode 8, then 7, etc. It showed me how well this series was put together, plot progressions and character development. It was fun to watch it that way.

PLM: I, too, felt that the Doc/Louisa relationship was more steady in series 6. Louisa was steadier and the character was more predictable.

I think Martin's behavior at the Sports Day can partially be explained by the fact that his mother had touched his button when she asked him about the trophy he won at school. He is in a somewhat submissive position when she says that and he gets defensive. By that time he was so deep into his depression/breakdown/shutdown that her question may have been his breaking point. He had no defenses left. Think about it, this is a middle aged man who has not dealt with his serious childhood issues and his mother is thrown into his life and into his house just as he is starting to have a breakdown. It was like the universe was collapsing in on him. With the events at the Sports Day, maybe the producers were trying to demonstrate that his relationship with Louisa is literally a matter of life and death for this man.

Oh, gee. I just realized. Maybe that fan fiction writer is correct. Maybe they are going to kill off the Doc at the end of series 7.

I think this is right, dcmcfan. Because parts of his talk at Sports Day were about how sports were not for everybody, anyway, as I remember it. It is as if he's really defensive about never getting a trophy for anything but chess. He was sort of OK about going before her dig at him. All his rage about his unhappy experiences in school seemed to burst out at this point. Which of course, Louisa has no way of understanding as yet.

No, he's not going to die in S7. I refuse to accept that..:) even tho at some points I have wondered if they were going to kill off Louisa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think this is right, dcmcfan. Because parts of his talk at Sports Day were about how sports were not for everybody, anyway, as I remember it. It is as if he's really defensive about never getting a trophy for anything but chess. He was sort of OK about going before her dig at him. All his rage about his unhappy experiences in school seemed to burst out at this point. Which of course, Louisa has no way of understanding as yet.

No, he's not going to die in S7. I refuse to accept that..:) even tho at some points I have wondered if they were going to kill off Louisa.

I have shown S6 to a number of fans....but uninitiated fans who haven't analyzed these occurrences as much as we have, and I basically have had to say, in order to understand what is now happening, you have to realize that Martin is totally looney...his mother's manipulation has driven him out of his mind. Cease to try to make logical sense out of how he behaves or what occurs because she has taken him to a place where logic and sensibility ceases to exist. That is the only way that any of the behavior around these circumstances make sense.

I still can't lose the resentment towards Louisa for realizing he was in distress, but not giving him a comfortable out of the Sports Day situation. He was not well..she sort of realized it, but still didn't make it easy for him to opt out. He was in no shape to be there and disaster ensued.

No one is going to die unless BP wants to pull a terrible trick...I won't put it beyond them...but what a bad way to end a lovely, but convoluted story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I have shown S6 to a number of fans....but uninitiated fans who haven't analyzed these occurrences as much as we have, and I basically have had to say, in order to understand what is now happening, you have to realize that Martin is totally looney...his mother's manipulation has driven him out of his mind. Cease to try to make logical sense out of how he behaves or what occurs because she has taken him to a place where logic and sensibility ceases to exist. That is the only way that any of the behavior around these circumstances make sense.

I still can't lose the resentment towards Louisa for realizing he was in distress, but not giving him a comfortable out of the Sports Day situation. He was not well..she sort of realized it, but still didn't make it easy for him to opt out. He was in no shape to be there and disaster ensued.

No one is going to die unless BP wants to pull a terrible trick...I won't put it beyond them...but what a bad way to end a lovely, but convoluted story.

I am the last person to believe that what people do makes logical sense even most of the time...:);-) and I totally agree that his behavior at Sports Day was out-of-control, all defenses down. I think that Mum's remark may have been the final straw that let the dam burst on all that pent-up rage and resentment. I still think he was "sort-of" OK after Louisa left the house, when she had given him yet another chance to back out. That said, knowing that he really didn't want to do it, she should have told him in advance that he was going to have to give a speech, etc.

What I really fault Louisa for, though softening a bit, is in NOT recognizing how out-of-control he was, and that something major and bad was happening to him. Leaving for Spain at that point was like fleeing the scene of a major accident -- hers real, his metaphorical.
This discussion has been closed.