Seriously, do you hear what I hear?

xfactorfan01xfactorfan01 Posts: 603
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I'd just like to say I'm not a hater or anything, I'm sure Jermaine is a nice guy and I like the message he's been trying to put across, but to me he really isn't anything special when it comes to singing. If you listen to his blind audition, after he does "the note", it goes massively downhill from there, it's pretty painful. He does not have a big range at all! The note he does is not even difficult, and he doesn't follow through with it after. Really can't believe how many people are posting saying his performance was amazing. It really wasn't. Go and watch Jennifer Hudson sing it. Don't even get me started on Wrecking Ball, Treasure and Without You, they were seriously diabolical.

I'm not saying all of this because I'm gutted Christina didn't win, because even though I think she was leagues above any of the final four, I didn't really connect with her as a person. However, her performance of Everlong was just on another level. I will never tire of listening to it!

I just don't think the public get it right. Vince Kidd was robbed in the first year. He was so current and different, and then he finished 4th! And if that wasn't bad enough, Leah McFall, in my opinion one of the greatest talents on any show EVER, got robbed by Andrea! What is wrong with the world? I also keep seeing people saying "The Voice has never produced a star" - Wrong, they have already found Leah, and Will isn't going to give up on her. She is going to be huge. Talent like that cannot be denied.

Just sayin'

Comments

• Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'd just like to say I'm not a hater or anything, I'm sure Jermaine is a nice guy and I like the message he's been trying to put across, but to me he really isn't anything special when it comes to singing. If you listen to his blind audition, after he does "the note", it goes massively downhill from there, it's pretty painful. He does not have a big range at all! The note he does is not even difficult, and he doesn't follow through with it after. Really can't believe how many people are posting saying his performance was amazing. It really wasn't. Go and watch Jennifer Hudson sing it. Don't even get me started on Wrecking Ball, Treasure and Without You, they were seriously diabolical.

I'm not saying all of this because I'm gutted Christina didn't win, because even though I think she was leagues above any of the final four, I didn't really connect with her as a person. However, her performance of Everlong was just on another level. I will never tire of listening to it!

I just don't think the public get it right. Vince Kidd was robbed in the first year. He was so current and different, and then he finished 4th! And if that wasn't bad enough, Leah McFall, in my opinion one of the greatest talents on any show EVER, got robbed by Andrea! What is wrong with the world? I also keep seeing people saying "The Voice has never produced a star" - Wrong, they have already found Leah, and Will isn't going to give up on her. She is going to be huge. Talent like that cannot be denied.

Just sayin'

To be fair though , Vince Kid was one scary MF.
    He made my skin crawl !
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Last year doesn't matter any more, Leah McFall is doing huge things with Will (and Seal) right now, and is tipped for stardom which is what I wanted for her, she toured with Will and did the Grammys in America an event honouring Carole King and won rave reviews from Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, and has an album out later this year.

Vince Kidd was VERY out there, and may not have been everyones cup of tea, Jermain will do very well in the urban music scene, and radio stations like 1Xtra etc, he has his audience.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whereas I couldn't bear to listen to 'Everlong' all the way through. Different strokes, etc.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just sayin'

There is no right or wrong. The public simply vote for who they liked the most and this time it happened to be Jermain. Personally, he wasn't my favourite to win, but I accept he was the most popular with the public.
  • xfactorfan01xfactorfan01 Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can argue those points, but I can tell a good note from a bad note, and he has had a lot of bad notes. It's called The Voice, and each to their own but, his voice was clearly not the best. Not by a long shot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can argue those points, but I can tell a good note from a bad note, and he has had a lot of bad notes. It's called The Voice, and each to their own but, his voice was clearly not the best. Not by a long shot.

I suppose it could be down to lack of experience. The other finalists were much more experienced. Sally had recorded albums, supported live acts like Bob Dylan and Robert Plant, and been in the music biz for years. Christina had been receiving music and singing lessons for years in a showbizzy school.

Jermaine is 19 years old. He did get a bit of instruction at college but nothing like the above two. I imagine his background has been mostly gospel, as he has said. Will dot I dot Am did say he needs to work hard - and yes, he does. But once he learns how to control that voice of his, he will be awesome. Good winner.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i think the OP is just being negative because his favourite did'nt win. Time to move on me thinks.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wrecking Ball was painful.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally i think the OP is just being negative because his favourite did'nt win. Time to move on me thinks.

This. Rather pathetic really. And the OP seems to think "the public" who voted represent the WHOLE public. If it went down to a compulsory vote by the WHOLE country, then maybe the OPs fave MIGHT have won. But it is simply a vote by a small section of the viewers of who they like best. There is no law anywhere that says the person you vote for has to be the one who TECHNICALLY has the best voice. Its a bit of light entertainment. That is all. Time to change the attitude OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    This. Rather pathetic really. And the OP seems to think "the public" who voted represent the WHOLE public. If it went down to a compulsory vote by the WHOLE country, then maybe the OPs fave MIGHT have won. But it is simply a vote by a small section of the viewers of who they like best. There is no law anywhere that says the person you vote for has to be the one who TECHNICALLY has the best voice. Its a bit of light entertainment. That is all. Time to change the attitude OP.

I get a sense that reality TV/talent shows can't be very enjoyable for people who hold so steadfastly to that sort of view, and react like that.
  • xfactorfan01xfactorfan01 Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol. I didn't even have a favourite really. It's got nothing to do with that. Just don't understand how anyone could watch Jermaine's performance of AIATY and think it was incredible. From a technical stand point, it just wasn't! Yeah it's all personal preference and all that bs, but it was painful! And if you disagree then you are tone deaf.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol. I didn't even have a favourite really. It's got nothing to do with that. Just don't understand how anyone could watch Jermaine's performance of AIATY and think it was incredible. From a technical stand point, it just wasn't! Yeah it's all personal preference and all that bs, but it was painful! And if you disagree then you are tone deaf.

I didn't really enjoy anyone's performances on the night, and I never vote on these sorts of things anyway, but I preferred Jermain's previous performances more than the other three's and warmed to him more as a person. Maybe other people did too.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rather a rude attitude to have on here and from someone with few posts. Liking something others dont , does not mean you are tone deaf. And as I said, it is down to what you like not how bloody technical it is ffs. It is simply an entertainment show. Not an exam for music university. I like singers such as Johnny Cash, Marc Almond and even Lemmy from Motorhead amongst others. Not the "BEST" singers but who bloody cares? I like what I like. End of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Rather a rude attitude to have on here and from someone with few posts. Liking something others dont , does not mean you are tone deaf. And as I said, it is down to what you like not how bloody technical it is ffs. It is simply an entertainment show. Not an exam for music university. I like singers such as Johnny Cash, Marc Almond and even Lemmy from Motorhead amongst others. Not the "BEST" singers but who bloody cares? I like what I like. End of.

Truth. Bob Dylan and Madonna are always good, enduring examples to bring up here too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truth. Bob Dylan and Madonna are always good, enduring examples to bring up here too.

Truth, not everyone likes Bob Dylan and Madonna. I don't think there has been a single thing in the entire history of the world (not just musical) that every single person has absolutely agreed on. Point is some one somewhere is not going to like what you do and in the case of a talent show like this vote for a different person.
    Ok, for one hitting a note is not an exact art, I did a quick bit of research (I'll admit mostly wiki but you can verify for yourself that the information is fairly accurate if rather simplified). The point I'm making is not every frequency or set of frequencies (stripping back to basics) is going to sound right to everyone, for example Leah had a massive fan base but I didn't much like her, she would do things and then go just a bit higher and it didn't quite work for where she was at for the rest of the song and for me it didn't work but for a lot of people it did and it made it interesting. Point is just because you personally don't like how Jermaine sings doesn't mean those who do are tone deaf it just means that they respond differently to the frequencies he produces.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He looked the part and IMO could sing although he wasn't the best but looking the part is a huge bonus.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Truth, not everyone likes Bob Dylan and Madonna. I don't think there has been a single thing in the entire history of the world (not just musical) that every single person has absolutely agreed on. Point is some one somewhere is not going to like what you do and in the case of a talent show like this vote for a different person.

Ok, for one hitting a note is not an exact art, I did a quick bit of research (I'll admit mostly wiki but you can verify for yourself that the information is fairly accurate if rather simplified). The point I'm making is not every frequency or set of frequencies (stripping back to basics) is going to sound right to everyone, for example Leah had a massive fan base but I didn't much like her, she would do things and then go just a bit higher and it didn't quite work for where she was at for the rest of the song and for me it didn't work but for a lot of people it did and it made it interesting. Point is just because you personally don't like how Jermaine sings doesn't mean those who do are tone deaf it just means that they respond differently to the frequencies he produces.

Really interesting! Some people will find certain chords almost unbearable, though all the notes are true. Others with perfect pitch, for example, may not be able to 'feel' the chord at all because each note is heard separately. Then there's the music you're used to listening to which trains your ear into certain expectations, whether you are musical or not. Cultural differences play a big part.

Frequency is a big old Thing! :D Elephants listen to faraway elephants through their feet, despite their big ears. I imagine Jermaine's low notes would have a similar effect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I meant them as examples of world-famous, best-selling artists who don't have "technically" amazing voices but are successful despite that. Not as artists that everyone likes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant them as examples of world-famous, best-selling artists who don't have "technically" amazing voices but are successful despite that. Not as artists that everyone likes.

But that's not what you said, that's where the comment came from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's not what you said, that's where the comment came from.

The poster I was responding to used Lemmy, Johnny Cash and Marc Almond as examples of singers they liked who are "not the best singers" but they enjoy them despite that. I then offered Bob Dylan and Madonna as examples of artists that I don't think have the strongest, most technically perfect vocals but I still like their music and they have proven to be very popular and successful.

Whether you happened to misread or misinterpret it, it is what I said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poster I was responding to used Lemmy, Johnny Cash and Marc Almond as examples of singers they liked who are "not the best singers" but they enjoy them despite that. I then offered Bob Dylan and Madonna as examples of artists that I don't think have the strongest, most technically perfect vocals but I still like their music and they have proven to be very popular and successful.

Whether you happened to misread or misinterpret it, it is what I said.

Ok, in that case I appologise, I just misinterpreted what you were getting at :)
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me Christina is same old same old Its nothing different. Jermaine, his voice is different, they way he sings is different I can't explain it, I like it. I actually want to hear more songs from him. I'm not buying the whole soppy message thing Will is flogging though everyone has their troubles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, in that case I appologise, I just misinterpreted what you were getting at :)

No problem :)