Options

Is the phrase, "pay peanuts, get monkeys" racist

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I don't think it is but I'm about to email a company with a complaint and include this phrase, but don't want to get into trouble

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no it isn't.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its speciesist, or specist, or something.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is but I'm about to email a company with a complaint and include this phrase, but don't want to get into trouble

Why should it be perceived as racist ?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it means literally what it says, if you pay peanuts then you'll get a monkey as opposed to a trained person.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkeyist!!!!!!!!!!!11111! >:(
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What made you think it was racist?

I'm presuming you thought monkeys could be considered as a reference to black people?
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    No but I agree with Supratad that it is speciesist...and, who knows, one day speciesism (which is rife now) may be as taboo as racism.
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    No but I agree with Supratad that it is speciesist...and, who knows, one day speciesism (which is rife now) may be as taboo as racism.

Free the wasps!
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »
    What made you think it was racist?

I'm presuming you thought monkeys could be considered as a reference to black people?

That's a racist thought!! The thought police are coming for you OP!
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You paid peanuts, I presume, so who are you mocking?:confused:

Poor old monkeys! :cry:
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh doesn't ah ah offend me ooh ah a little ooh ooh ooh bit, not in the slightest, my good banana, I mean, man. Some of my best nit mates are racists. Ooh ooh.
    *scratches armpit*
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Have the monkeys lodge a complaint yet?

Well carry on until they do!
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    That's a racist thought!! The thought police are coming for you OP!

Also known as Guardian readers.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No , monkeys like nuts (especially the peanut shell) and that's where the saying comes from. The only time monkey is racist is when some idiot deliberately uses it to insult black people.

Though there was this on a question and answer site and some lunatic wrote this

5 years ago

The word monkey, a very hateful word used by extremely racist people.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would this phrase be racist? Oh jeez, some people need to stop being so sensitive thinking everything is racist.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Why would this phrase be racist? Oh jeez, some people need to stop being so sensitive thinking everything is racist.

And whilst so many people are busy seeing racism , religious hatred etc in every word spoken , many real racists go along unnoticed as they don't use the typically racist words, you can be nasty and racist using what could seem like normal polite words, often its in the delivery and how they are meant.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    No , monkeys like nuts (especially the peanut shell) and that's where the saying comes from. The only time monkey is racist is when some idiot deliberately uses it to insult black people.

Though there was this on a question and answer site and some lunatic wrote this

5 years ago

The word monkey, a very hateful word used by extremely racist people.

I don't get why racists would call black people 'monkeys'. when they obviously don't look like them..... is it colour.... there are different species of monkeys that come in different colours and not just black or dark brown.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

No ... but it might be seen as racist to think it was racist! ;-)
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, it's a tricky one, that. Lemme think. <ponders deeply> I have it! "Pay peanuts; get the M word". That should do it.

Mind how you go.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Monkeys aren't a species.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    oulandy wrote: »
    Oh, it's a tricky one, that. Lemme think. <ponders deeply> I have it! "Pay peanuts; get the M word". That should do it.

Mind how you go.

But someone may be offended as they have a peanut allergy. So best go with:

"Pay the P word; get the M word".

At least it will keep them busy trying to work out what, the H word, you are on about.

:D
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is bananas.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Of course, if you're e-mailing to complain about the staff at that particular company, it could be considered offensive if you refer to them as "monkeys" ... regardless of their race, sex, creed or colour! ;-)
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    If you're going to write a letter of complaint you're better off not using lame arse cliches like that to make your point. It shows a lack of imagination.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    If you're going to write a letter of complaint you're better off not using lame arse cliches like that to make your point. It shows a lack of imagination.

Sorry I'm not a master in letter writing